SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Does this void your warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL550
Does this void your warranty?

Does putting aftermarket exhaust void the warranty on the car? I have a SL550 considering putting a custom exhaust on there.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Mods don't "void your warranty." If they cause something to fail, that failure won't be covered. If you change your exhaust and you have a front suspension problem, the dealer can't claim your exhaust gets them off the hook. If you change your exhaust and you fail a smog check because a cat is damaged, you could possibly be in for a fight. It's hard to imagine very many warranty issues an exhaust can cause.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by whoover
Mods don't "void your warranty." If they cause something to fail, that failure won't be covered. If you change your exhaust and you have a front suspension problem, the dealer can't claim your exhaust gets them off the hook. If you change your exhaust and you fail a smog check because a cat is damaged, you could possibly be in for a fight. It's hard to imagine very many warranty issues an exhaust can cause.
+ 1. I have a fair number of mods along with a handful of unrelated warranty claims that the dealer has honored.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by whoover
But if you mod your exhaust and you have a engine failure or transmission failure since the mod'ed exhaust can change the engine output they can void that part of your warranty. You would be required to prove that the mod did not cause the warranty problem. Best bet is to have the dealer put on the new exhaust and get agreement from them that it will not void your warranty. Then you are assured that at least your dealer will handle any future warranty issues. I know Dodge dealers use to void diesel truck owners warranties for exhaust changes. I just never like to put my fate in the hands of a dealer that might be having a bad day.