SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Red Visit Workshop!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500, Lamborghini Gallardo
Red Visit Workshop!

I was getting the message that my battery terminals were loose. This would follow by an ABC warning or some other intermittent error and finally before I could get to it, I rec'd another message in RED "Visit Workshop" with Batt symbol.
After looking at the battery's I noticed that the one in the back had extremely loose terminals. I decided to replace each battery because it was about that time anyway and the red notice didn’t disappear when I tightened the terminals up. After replacing the battery, all the warnings disappeared except the red Visit Workshop warning when starting the car up.
After hooking up my OBDII I could find no errors to reset. What gives?
I tried a lot of the reset ECU, settings etc. found here using the button on the gauges and was able to reset just about everything but the RED DEATH SCREEN!!
Car runs great but this just bugs me. Any suggestions for this?

PS. When resetting, I managed to change the station tuner on my steering wheel from scanning my preset station to now going from each individual station across the FM spectrum. I looked in the manual and still cannot figure out how to get the steering wheel controls to scan my preset stations again. If anybody could walk me thru this too I would appreciate it.

TIA
Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Im not sure how to reset the "visit workshop" screen, but know that the dealership can reset this for you...as for the radio preset, you should be able to change this in your settings menu on your steering wheel...there should be an option under the convenience or vehicle menu to adjust by frequency or memory...give this a shot and if it's not in there, let me know and i'll find out for sure.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM

2003 SL500 2005 G55
im having the the exact same problem with mine......I tried to charge the batteries to see if it would go away but it doesnt. Its been like going on for a month now and the car runs fine but it bothers me to always see the red when you start the car up .
Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Update!

1.Multi-function display red (category 1 malfunction)
2.DYC's will be set in the vehicle power supply control module (N82/1)
3.Cannot be erased by customer (can only be erased using SDS/DAS)

I still do not see any solutions for this problem so I figured some of you who are still seeing this when you start your car might want to know.

I have replaced both batteries and the alternator myself before realizing that the dealer will need to reset the red display.

Last edited by oofreakoo; 09-27-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Okay, I just got back from a local shop here in Huntington Beach, CA that happens to have an SDS. He reset all errors on my car for free!!!!

If you have this RED "Visit Workshop" with Batt symbol notice everytime you start your car, I'm sure you can relate to how happy I must be. Finally!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by oofreakoo
Okay, I just got back from a local shop here in Huntington Beach, CA that happens to have an SDS. He reset all errors on my car for free!!!!

If you have this RED "Visit Workshop" with Batt symbol notice everytime you start your car, I'm sure you can relate to how happy I must be. Finally!!!!!!!!

What size/brand batterys did you buy? and how much cheaper then getting them from the dealer??
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Rear Battery is a Duralast from Autozone (about 1/4 the price of mb). The front battery is factory replacement from MB.