MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Noise from roof assembly (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/209124-noise-roof-assembly.html)

jillk34786 09-09-2007 12:40 PM

Noise from roof assembly

Does anyone else have issues with noise being submitted from the hardtop mechanism?
I have a 2005 SL500 and at highway speeds I always notice some noise from the pass side rear area with the top up. Obviously, I can't tell or hear any noise with the top down.

Just curious if anybody has heard the same kind of noise and what the issue was?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

dan1495 09-09-2007 06:08 PM

My 2003 SL500 recently developed a noise coming from the same vicinity. It is at the dealer as we speak where they are supposedly fixing it. I will let you know the results if it ever comes back - it has been there since last Wednesday.

SL2003driver 09-09-2007 08:05 PM

mine creaks at low speeds when I go in or out of my drive and on some bumps. figure the dealer can lube it, or i will turn the stereo up :).

lkirchner 09-10-2007 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver (Post 2403502)
mine creaks at low speeds when I go in or out of my drive and on some bumps. figure the dealer can lube it, or i will turn the stereo up :).

They will probably lube it and that will work for a few months and it will return. Trust me I know from experience.

lovemysl 09-10-2007 12:14 PM

Noise

I have a 2003 designo SL 500. I too have a creaking within the hard top, but mainly when pulling in and out of the drive way. I figure it is from body roll. I have no noise at highway speeds.

BlackonBlack 09-10-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by lovemysl (Post 2404337)
I have a 2003 designo SL 500. I too have a creaking within the hard top, but mainly when pulling in and out of the drive way. I figure it is from body roll. I have no noise at highway speeds.

Same here. Sometimes the creak gets so bad it drives me up the wall. Has anyone found a solution to this? There must be a simple fix. I beleive the creaks come from the glass rubbing against the rubber. So sometimes, I lower the glass for a split second, just enough for the glass to stop rubbing against the rubber seal and that sometimes help. I've been meaning to put some lube on the edge of the glass to see if that works. Funny thing is that it only happens on my side of the car.
Any suggestions anyone?

dan1495 09-11-2007 10:28 PM

Got our SL500 back today from the dealer - finally. They lubed all of the seals, re-torqued all of the attaching bolts, adjusted the trunk lid etc. I have to say about 95% of the noise is gone. We'll see how long it lasts.

WordSmith 09-14-2007 12:59 AM

On my 2005 SL500, I don't get a mechanical/metal noise, but rather a wind noise from the passenger side window at about 70 mph. The dealer can't fix it. I was told by another SL500 owner that it's because the top, not the window, isn't seating itself right.

Any thoughts?

jillk34786 09-14-2007 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the input. I will have the dealer lube the hardtop mechanism and hopefully this noise issue will finally go away :)

SL2003driver 09-14-2007 03:06 PM

Just got mine back, its better.

SL2003driver 10-10-2007 11:49 AM

Mine doesn't have any noise with the top down. Silconed all the rubber and most of the noise went away, but still have the creak going in and out of the driveway at low speed. I now just turn up the stereo

WordSmith 10-10-2007 12:41 PM

Yeah, the loud stearo helps at 70 mph and seems to be the only fix.

ToonArmy 10-10-2007 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by WordSmith (Post 2410138)
On my 2005 SL500, I don't get a mechanical/metal noise, but rather a wind noise from the passenger side window at about 70 mph. The dealer can't fix it. I was told by another SL500 owner that it's because the top, not the window, isn't seating itself right.

Any thoughts?

I have the same issue. It tends to be worst when I have recently put the top up, and seems to improve if I lower the window and then raise it. Which leads me to think that it the roof doesn't "seat" as well when lowering onto the glass (compared to raising the glass into the roof).

No fix from the dealer earlier, and it is now out of warranty, so I lower/raise the window and raise the stereo volume a notch :-)

glennbaz 10-11-2007 12:44 AM

Try lowering the top. put a couple of drops of oil on the each locking mech above the windshield. There is a roller and small arm pivot. Then raise the roof half way (it will not stay there long before it lowers itself for safety reasons) While in this halfway position put a couple of drops of oil on each pivot point of the mulitple sissor arms that you can see. You might have to open and close the top a few time to give you enough time to do it. I'm sure many if not all of your squeeks will be gone.
Glenn

lkirchner 10-11-2007 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by glennbaz (Post 2450101)
Try lowering the top. put a couple of drops of oil on the each locking mech above the windshield. There is a roller and small arm pivot. Then raise the roof half way (it will not stay there long before it lowers itself for safety reasons) While in this halfway position put a couple of drops of oil on each pivot point of the mulitple sissor arms that you can see. You might have to open and close the top a few time to give you enough time to do it. I'm sure many if not all of your squeeks will be gone.
Glenn

If you start the car, keep it running and open the top to any partially open position the top will not lower any further. Doing this will permit you to lubricate the hinges until the cows come home.

BrabusTrojanSL 10-13-2007 01:40 AM

I have had this issue for a year now. Everytime I take it to the dealer they just put a bunch of lube on it, but after a few days of dropping the top and closing it, its comes back. Someone please tell me how to fix this! I will pay $$$$

SL2003driver 10-13-2007 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by BrabusTrojanSL (Post 2453244)
I have had this issue for a year now. Everytime I take it to the dealer they just put a bunch of lube on it, but after a few days of dropping the top and closing it, its comes back. Someone please tell me how to fix this! I will pay $$$$

Does yours or others creak at the rear C pillar when you turn into a driveway and over the curb at low speed?

BrabusTrojanSL 10-18-2007 04:21 PM

Yes, EXACTLY!

SL2003driver 10-18-2007 05:51 PM

Mine had a cracked C pillar in 2003 that was fixed and then adjusted again in 2005. I don't see how you can have a cracked C pillar unless they are talking about the convertable roof and one of the metal extenders???

Chris 45971 10-20-2007 02:10 PM

Watch for the seat. For the longest time I thought I had a rattle in the roof and it was coming from the back of the driver seat. I rubbed around the back of the seat, something popped and that was that.

Good luck in fixing the creaking when pulling out of the driveway. That is body flex. I don't like it either, but backing strait out instead of turning the wheel before the rear of the car is out of the driveway will solve the problem(no part of the car is being left off of the ground).

BrabusTrojanSL 11-06-2007 12:56 PM

Got my baby back, and apparently they had to re-align the roof assembly. They didn't know what it was from, but they said that I could have been tapped in a parking lot, and that could set the alignment off for the roof when it closes.
Another weird thing was that I noticed my car vibrated more than usual last week, and I brought it up to the dealer.
They told me that the engine housing, or the pillars that hold that engine in place were both cracked and broken, so they replaced that for me as well.
I guess I drive it too hard:zoom:

BlackonBlack 11-12-2007 11:11 AM

That's the engine mounts that were broken. Your engine sits on 2 of these alu/rubber mounts that will give way after sometime. One way of stretching its life is to always slow down over humps. Like really slow. There's nothing worse for these mounts than for the engine to sink its complete weight on it when the front wheels clear the speed hump at speed. These mounts have about the same lifespan as the front end arms, both the lower and upper arms that hold your wheel in place. These will wear out at the joints which are made of rubber cracking over time leading to expensive tire wear and mis-alignment. You should have them check these too.
Hope this helps, just doing my last good deed for the day.:p:

SL2003driver 11-12-2007 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack (Post 2499095)
That's the engine mounts that were broken. Your engine sits on 2 of these alu/rubber mounts that will give way after sometime. One way of stretching its life is to always slow down over humps. Like really slow. There's nothing worse for these mounts than for the engine to sink its complete weight on it when the front wheels clear the speed hump at speed. These mounts have about the same lifespan as the front end arms, both the lower and upper arms that hold your wheel in place. These will wear out at the joints which are made of rubber cracking over time leading to expensive tire wear and mis-alignment. You should have them check these too.
Hope this helps, just doing my last good deed for the day.:p:

Are you saying that the creaking noise is the engine mounts? I understand that the mounts can still look good before you take them off even though they have failed.

BlackonBlack 11-13-2007 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by SL2003driver (Post 2499729)
Are you saying that the creaking noise is the engine mounts? I understand that the mounts can still look good before you take them off even though they have failed.

When the mounts have failed, you won't hear a creaking noise. You'll feel it more than you'll hear. In Park, you'll feel the vibration on the shifter and somtimes on the steering wheel as well if the wear is bad. When you're driving off, you'll definitely feel more of the engine rumble than you hear it. THat's how you know they've served their purpose. ONLY when you've taken them off can you see the cracks in the rubber. Put it next to a brand new mount, and you'll see that the middle portion of the mount sinks in by as much as 10-15mm. By the time that happens, the vibration is no longer absorbed by the rubber and that's why you'll feel it in the car.

BrabusTrojanSL 12-29-2007 10:32 PM

I had it fixed, it was just the engine mounts. But I still have the low creaking from the rear strut behind the passenger seat. I think I am going to buy a new SL just for this reason.