SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 04 SL console knob (Part no. needed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL console knob (Part no. needed)

This is what happen to my console knob

It's sticky, like its semi-melted. Dealer said its caused by interior cleaner, but its pretty hot in my country, so it maybe caused by the heat. He told me replacement is unavailable and I need to change the whole console, which I think is pretty ridiculous.

So is it possible to just change the knob? Anyone know where to search for the part number?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Look at this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/226557-anyone-know-how-remove-knobs.html
Maybe mikefili can help You since he have the same problem?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't let the dealer b.s. you. The same thing has, and still is happening to very many cars, has nothing to do with cleaner, heat, cold, sunlight, or any other excuse they might come up with. The dealer said that the knobs can't be changed. (did they grow there? Were they not installed on the nav when it was put together?) Well, they called in a leather, seat repair guy, and after keeping the car for 3 days It was done, seems he coated the knobs with something, and then re-blacked them, minus the white dot. I bet the the story is not over yet, and that the gum drop condition has just been covered up, and not cured. Spoke to the repair subcontractor, anad he said that it is very common, even more so with the radio buttons on the wheel, mine are perfect. Dealer said that the only other fix is replaceing the $4,000. nav unit, that M.B. would never approve. Oh, car has to go back next week, while in the shop for this repair they broke the spring on the ash tray door takeing it apart, and worse of all someone sat in the passanger seat with a ball point pen in their back pocket while working on the car, and the pass seat now looks like a drawing done by a 1 year old with pen, at first the service manager said how could they cause it on the pass seat, but of course you cannot remove the console cover, or nav from the driver seat, but only from the passanger, I want to see how they remove the ink from the seat back,
Anyone know a safe way to do it. Seems everytime my SL goes to the dealer, it comes back with more problems then it went i with.
Just bought my wire a white C300 last night, hope it is not as problematic as the 230. Sorry for the long rant.