MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: R230 Trunk Leak (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/282302-r230-trunk-leak.html)

melmark 02-11-2009 08:05 PM

R230 Trunk Leak

Anyone have a problem with water leaks in the trunk of the SL? The leak appears to be coming from the upper seals (?). Can't be reproduced with a hose, and the dealer can't find anything wrong either. Yet a good rain will result in a very wet trunk. Car is an 04 in pristine condition.

Seems like it's either the trunk lock mechanism is not closing tight enough, or the seals somehow get overloaded in heavy rain. All drains are clear. :nix:

StephenK 02-11-2009 08:42 PM

I had the same problem

I had the same problem, finally took someone in the shop who gave a S**T about the customer who actually got in the trunk and saw where it was leaking and FIXED it PROPERLY. I believe it is the only way to get it fixed right, I had several service receipts saying it was fixed, but wasn't until he did that. Good luck.

htn 02-11-2009 09:20 PM

I had the same problem, but mine came from a crack trunk brake light, the seal was just dried and cracked. I replace a new one, and no more wet trunk

RDL0100 02-11-2009 10:48 PM

Trunk Leak

I believe this is a fairly common problem, as it has come up a number of times. Mine leaked around the trunk seals, and as I understand it, that is the common place for the leak to occur. The dealer replaced my seals, and although it took two times to get the leak stopped, replacing the seals did eventually do the job.

So Cal Sam 02-16-2009 01:03 PM

My trunk leaked on my 2006 SL500 soon after I purchased it. The trunk seals were replaced under warranty and it hasn't reoccurred. As someone said, this seems to a rather regular problem on these cars.

antichef 03-09-2009 06:59 PM

I have the 2003 SL and had the problem a few times in the early years. Went back to dealers a few times, and they replaced the seals at least twice. There used to be lots of problems reported about then, and I recall giving them a page of internet printouts!

But not done without a lot of hassle. The final straw was after they had "fixed" it, I collected it and went to the airport (3 miles) parked it for 2 days when I went abroad. Picked it up on my return and the boot was awash to about 2" (I had fitted a boot tray to catch it by now!).

Drove straight back to the dealer and left it with them. They got a man in the boot to spot it and other water detectors were tried, and new seals were eventually fitted and the job was done. Fixed under warranty and I was happy that a resolution was found. Dealer was first class once they had accepted that there was a problem.

vpr80 07-31-2009 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just found out that I have the same problem. The leak happens from the top seals where the seals appear to join each other (see arrows in picture). It's not a ton of water where it makes a pool, but it's a lot of drops that make the carpeting wet from that point all the way to the bottom.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

VendettaMB 08-01-2009 11:19 AM

i have come to realize these car a re a pain in the ass, ans i wish i had stayed with BMW..too much $ out now to sell :(
look great pakred but too many issues and time waisted at dealers or trying to solve minor issues..fora high end car..flagship from MB its a joke!

djamer 11-04-2009 05:30 PM

me 2

Just found out today, this is the root cause for my PSE pump going bad twice. Some strange leak in the trunk totally f**** up the PSE pump responsible for the locking, trunk opening, and alarm. Dealer first replaced the pump, but few days back, i notice no locking w/ the key.

Opened my trunk manually w/ key and noticed dampness everywhere, it's at the dealership right now. And they said, it's a leak in the rubber lining. They are once again replacing the PSE pump and hopefully fixing the root cause. Crossing my fingers..

Amer

djamer 11-04-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by VendettaMB (Post 3649876)
i have come to realize these car a re a pain in the ass, ans i wish i had stayed with BMW..too much $ out now to sell :(
look great pakred but too many issues and time waisted at dealers or trying to solve minor issues..fora high end car..flagship from MB its a joke!

i feel your pain, with the massive depreciation on these cars, I should have sold mine while back but i am upside down, so, it's pointless selling it now..

lesson learned the hard way :(

mikesSL55fla 11-04-2009 05:59 PM

Trunk seals

I had the same issue so I changed my center brake light first that was cracked. Then I had my mechanic change the seal right under the rear glass .
That did it for me . I havent had an issue since.

jcjblo 11-04-2009 06:07 PM

My car had the same problem before. Apparently there is a inner hose/tube that should have been inserted into the seal from the joints you highlighted. This will ensure a tight seal at the joints when the trunk is closed and will stop any leakage. It took me three trips until a alert/knowledgable mechanic at the dealership spotted it and solved the leakage permanently.

VendettaMB 11-04-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikesSL55fla (Post 3796461)
I had the same issue so I changed my center brake light first that was cracked. Then I had my mechanic change the seal right under the rear glass .
That did it for me . I havent had an issue since.

mb dealer told me peoples rear sams go from leaky break lights also. one of the things checked and replaced in m car(no leak though..just bad Sam

djamer 11-04-2009 10:53 PM

My break light was replaced last month as the possible cause. Three wks later, today, here I am with a damp/soggy trunk. Glad to know some of u guys found a fix.. my car is at the dealership getting the issue resolved..

Tregon 02-06-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by vpr80 (Post 3648199)
Just found out that I have the same problem. The leak happens from the top seals where the seals appear to join each other (see arrows in picture). It's not a ton of water where it makes a pool, but it's a lot of drops that make the carpeting wet from that point all the way to the bottom.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

If you find out, let me know! I have the same problem.

vpr80 02-06-2011 08:26 PM

Yep I figured out how to fix it....I sold the car :)

But seriously, I think this is simply a design defect since it's pretty much universal and I could not figure out how to fix it. Just had a wet trunk once in a while.

djamer 02-07-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by vpr80 (Post 4503524)
Yep I figured out how to fix it....I sold the car :)

But seriously, I think this is simply a design defect since it's pretty much universal and I could not figure out how to fix it. Just had a wet trunk once in a while.

Ditto, sold mine as well

riannausa 02-16-2011 10:36 PM

Same

same problem here!

smurph55 02-17-2011 12:47 AM

I've had a similar problem on the left side of trunk, along with the trunk lid becoming mis-aligned periodically. Struts were replaced and lid adjusted several times. Service tech at dealership said to be careful when closing trunk and pull it straight down with both hands to avoid side to side motion. There is a visibly bigger space between trunk and body on the left side now. Extended warranty expired so car staying in garage for now.

pvpalm 02-19-2011 11:04 PM

Here are MB TSB s on the roof...Hope it helps.

http://www.eautorepair.net/app/TSBS_ALL.asp?S0=16384&S1=0&SG={05938436-7F5A-4495-89F3-F85CE0CC867B}&YR=2005&MK=159&MD=1641&SM=0&MKN=Merc edes-Benz&MDN=SL500&MA=15&SID=987598680

Frederick NL 02-04-2019 04:31 PM

An old thread about infamous trouble: water in the trunk - seals and/or 3rd brake light.
There’s lots of info on this, everywhere, but I think this good old Englishman has a particularly thorough plan of attack, so I post a link here.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/in...ersion.142371/

ray0214 02-05-2019 02:42 PM

QUICK FIX

DONT DRIVE THE CAR IN RAIN

Frederick NL 02-05-2019 03:28 PM

I happen to live in The Netherlands. Guess why it’s so lush and green here. The definitive solution for staying dry is a coffin.

Aussiesuede 02-05-2019 07:38 PM

Aussiesuede 02-05-2019 07:41 PM

Part 2