MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Brake Fluid Low Warning Light? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/305434-brake-fluid-low-warning-light.html)

DeLorean00 06-27-2009 09:30 PM

Brake Fluid Low Warning Light?

I got a warning light on my car today. It came on after it had been sitting all day. It says "Brake Fluid Low visit workshop". I checked the brake fluid and it is full. Any ideas?

I have a warranty its just a PITA to take the car in.

-Chris

deloreandriven 06-27-2009 11:11 PM

nice user name!

SBC brake system, not a good system. Has anything been done service wise to in is the past little while?

DeLorean00 06-27-2009 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by deloreandriven (Post 3596364)
nice user name!

SBC brake system, not a good system. Has anything been done service wise to in is the past little while?

LoL! I am a DeLorean owner as well. Vin Number 3045, grooved and flapped, auto, gray interior, light gray wheels.

I have not had any service done lately. I was told that the brake fluid low light will have to be reset by the dealer even if its just a false code. It just sucks because I have no free time and the dealer is 45 miles away.

bobterry99 06-28-2009 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by DeLorean00 (Post 3596384)
I was told that the brake fluid low light will have to be reset by the dealer even if its just a false code.

I am guessing this is not the case.

The level is sensed by a switch that closes when fluid is low and opens when it is not. The switch plugs into an electrical connector located at the top of the reservoir. I suggest unplugging the switch and seeing if the warning indication disappears.

deloreandriven 06-28-2009 09:35 AM

cool, early vin number too.
mine is 17113 a small run of actual km/h canadian cars made near the end.

as long as you pedal feels good and the level is up dont worry about it until you get a chance. as long as you dont have a red warrning " increased stoping distance " and the pedal goes to the floor.
doesnt your dealer have a valet service? we do, we send old retierd drivers all over hells acres to pick up cust cars.

DeLorean00 06-28-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 3596551)
I am guessing this is not the case.

The level is sensed by a switch that closes when fluid is low and opens when it is not. The switch plugs into an electrical connector located at the top of the reservoir. I suggest unplugging the switch and seeing if the warning indication disappears.

I tired unplugging it. No luck, same warning. The guy at MB Roadside said that it would get stored in the computer unless cleared at the dealer. I thought it was a bit odd that it would get stored.

But as always, who knows if he knew what he was talking about.

DeLorean00 06-28-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by deloreandriven (Post 3596699)
cool, early vin number too.
mine is 17113 a small run of actual km/h canadian cars made near the end.

as long as you pedal feels good and the level is up dont worry about it until you get a chance. as long as you dont have a red warrning " increased stoping distance " and the pedal goes to the floor.
doesnt your dealer have a valet service? we do, we send old retierd drivers all over hells acres to pick up cust cars.

Pedal feels great. I know the cars brakes are fine, at least the brake fluid is. Thats why this is so annoying. LoL!

I am not sure if my dealer has a valet service. I still think I would rather drop it off my self. I am a bit picky with how my car is handled.

mlandis 06-28-2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by deloreandriven (Post 3596699)
as long as you pedal feels good and the level is up dont worry about it until you get a chance.

Since the pedal isn't connected to a master cylinder the same way it would be in a fully hydraulic system, would you be able to feel any decrease in braking power?

DeLorean00 06-29-2009 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by mlandis (Post 3597616)
Since the pedal isn't connected to a master cylinder the same way it would be in a fully hydraulic system, would you be able to feel any decrease in braking power?

That is true. The car drives like it has always driven, except it has very annoying lights on the dash.

bobterry99 06-29-2009 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DeLorean00 (Post 3597021)
The guy at MB Roadside said that it would get stored in the computer unless cleared at the dealer. I thought it was a bit odd that it would get stored.

But as always, who knows if he knew what he was talking about.

He was right, and my guess was wrong. I know because I was curious and tested on my car. Both a $100 Carsoft scanner and a $700 SDS diagnostic system from eBay can clear the code and turn-off the light. I use SDS.

deloreandriven 06-29-2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by mlandis (Post 3597616)

With the sbc system if there is a funnny electrical problem with no explination there can be decreased pedal feel since the sbc system is an aux pump to assist in braking, when it craps out the car feel like an old buick with a blown brake line! i have driven many with a problem and the cars a nightmare to try to slow down!

DeLorean00 07-01-2009 06:52 PM

As I suspected the sensor in the brake fluid reservoir failed. My warranty is taking care of it, along with some ball joints the dealer said need replacing.

MBenz777 09-18-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by DeLorean00 (Post 3602459)
As I suspected the sensor in the brake fluid reservoir failed. My warranty is taking care of it, along with some ball joints the dealer said need replacing.

I was wondering how many miles does your car have?

On the other hand I just got the same message today ("Check brake fluid") out of the blue while I was driving. I checked the fluid and is at "Max" level....any suggestion what could that be?

dzmitryp 04-04-2020 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeLorean00 (Post 3602459)

What is the part number? I have the same problem but can not find the sensor in my favorite online stores. Thank you!