MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Bluetooth...and few more questions. (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/317727-bluetooth-few-more-questions.html)

Leester 09-21-2009 03:58 PM

Bluetooth, Idle speed and more.

Hi all and happy motoring.
I am new to this forum but not to the SL line and have few questions.

Can I install Bluetooth in my 2003 SL500R ???
My SL is phone ready although the cradle in the center console is missing
and no wire or plug is in sight even though I can see little screw holes and what appears as a rectangular marque on the carpet as well as a little hole on the right side of the top part of the console. Bought it certified and apparently the PO must have had a phone of some sort.
If yes than what would be the Bluetooth model # for my car ???
Eba has few of them listed with several model #s.
How easy is the installation ??? I don't see any plug inside my console !!!
Do I need to insert the wire through the hole to the back box of the console ???

My second area of concern is a rattle inside the car, possibly the dashboard area, when driving over rough roads. Where would I start looking first, or shall I just take it to the dealer. Is this a common issue with these cars, even with 47000 miles on the dial ???

My idle speed, AC off is .750 neutral, .700 in gear, three quarter on the dial. is this correct or a bit high.

Cheers,
Lee

J Tinsby 09-24-2009 05:15 PM

Hi Lee,

I have an '03 R230 like you do and I have Bluetooth installed in it. Buuuuut my car has the cradle and the wiring for the old style wired phone in the console. What I did was buy a Bluetooth 'puck' from the dealer that plugged in to where the old phone did. All you do is pair that with the phone and you're golden. You can then see the contents of your phonebook on the Comand Display and use your keypad or voice to make calls. Don't forget the car has an on board phonebook too that holds 50 numbers in addition to what's already on your phone.

That being said I don't know what to tell you regarding the missing wires etc. Can't imagine why someone would take them out, what good would they be?

My SL500R only has 18k on it and has no rattles anywhere. Without going down and starting my car, I think that your idle may be a tad high but not by much if at all.

Hope some of this is a help.

J T

Dahr 09-25-2009 01:05 AM

Tinsby,

I just purchased a 2003 SL500 today... and want to put in bluetooth.... There appears to be several options.. im curious as to the differences... the v60 puck seems to be the cheapest and simplest route... how is that different than the Viseeo? Or the Argos system? Any advantages to any of them? I utilize a Blackberry 8310 (curve)...

Any help would be appreciated...

Also - ordered a Smart Top controller... anybody here use them? Thanks!

Dahr

J Tinsby 09-28-2009 12:45 PM

Sorry but...

Originally Posted by Dahr (Post 3733207)
Tinsby,

the v60 puck seems to be the cheapest and simplest route... how is that different than the Viseeo? Or the Argos system? Any advantages to any of them? I utilize a Blackberry 8310 (curve)...

Dahr

Hey Dahr,

Sorry I can't tell you the differences between the ones you mentioned. I am happy with the V60 that I use. I wasn't aware that there were other ones available.
Hope someone else jumps in and reads this thread!

Good luck with it,

J T

Dahr 09-28-2009 02:41 PM

J T
What phone are you using your V60 with?

Thanks,

Dahr

Leester 09-29-2009 01:59 PM

Thank you for your reply J T,
I need to know the MODEL NUMBER of that V60 puck or Mercedes Bluetooth that you've got installed in your 2003.
Ebay has few of them with different model numbers.
Cheers...

ttdang123 09-29-2009 03:03 PM

Your best bet is to call the dealership. Give them your VIN / make / model and ask them for the PUCK model number OR ask them if the number below will work with yours? They will tell you.

Mine is B67875856 for 2004 SL600 with V60 BT. I use Vertu phone.

Good Luck

Leester 09-30-2009 11:37 PM

Took my car to the my local dealer yesterday and came back today with a big smile on my face. Why you ask ???
The rattle over rough roads is often due to the hardtop lack of servicing and lubricating, rubber and metal. Turns out that the noise is from the roof and not from the dash, always misleading, those annoying sounds.
Our local dealer sorted this problem in no time using a specific procedure.
If you seek a perfect 4 wheel balancing, than stop wasting time and money and take your SL to your local MB dealer. They cured my SL high speed vibration and jumping by performing a ROAD FORCE BALANCE.
I've owned countless SLs and never ever have I obtained such a smooth ride and calm steering, regardless of speed.
To install a Bluetooth in my 03 I need to part with $1500, so was told. Although I have the voice control prewiring and steering/monitor command system. I am calling a local Indy tomorrow. Hate aftermarket products. I am not big on phones after all.
Cheers

SLVRBLT43K 10-01-2009 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by lee blaik (Post 3739645)
Thank you for your reply J T,
I need to know the MODEL NUMBER of that V60 puck or Mercedes Bluetooth that you've got installed in your 2003.
Ebay has few of them with different model numbers.
Cheers...

i have one for sale, I'm returning my car. I use it with my blackberry