MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: sl500 radio problem..wont turn on sometimes. (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/382435-sl500-radio-problem-wont-turn-sometimes.html)

rogerr22 01-08-2011 05:26 PM

sl500 radio problem..wont turn on sometimes.

I have an 05 sl500. The radio sometimes does not come on. The only way to get it to come on is to turn the car off then back on again.

Also, some times all the preprogramed settings on the nav console get reset but this problem happens rarely.

Any body seen this or know what is the cause/fix?

globetrotter 01-09-2011 06:34 PM

Same problem, same symptoms with my 2005 SL500 since the beginning. The dealer never found anything wrong with it but documented it in case it fails all together. It only happens 1-2 times a year so I just live with it. I'm pretty fussy but I can tolerate it.

Scotsman 01-11-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by rogerr22 (Post 4449889)
The radio sometimes does not come on. The only way to get it to come on is to turn the car off then back on again.

It's happened maybe 6 times since I bought mine in 2004 luckily only on short runs so I wasn't that bothered. As it's intermittent I doubted the dealer would find anything so not worth the effort of taking it in.

dankcls550 07-29-2011 03:00 PM

I have a 2007 cls 550 and a week ago i was driving when all of a sudden the comand console shut down. it started back up a couple of seconds later by itself but i could control the radio using the steering wheel buttons and the navigation screen was frozen on the exact location of where it shut down. I tried turning the car off and waiting but the radio stayed on. So now the radio wont turn off when i turn my car off and the navigation is frozen. The driver's side dash console has 4 dashes under the options of Navi, Tele and Audio. I took it to the dealership and they told me that they could find what the problem was. Can anyone help???

gqa 07-29-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rogerr22 (Post 4449889)
I have an 05 sl500. The radio sometimes does not come on. The only way to get it to come on is to turn the car off then back on again.

Also, some times all the preprogramed settings on the nav console get reset but this problem happens rarely.

Any body seen this or know what is the cause/fix?

I have had a similar problem. i can't get any sound at all not the radio, cd, or navigation. also sometimes the speaker sound comes in real "scratchy". it usually goes away when tuned off and on.

I hope this is not a bigger problem building up

garybc230 07-30-2011 01:05 AM

All interesting issues with the MB Command system. I had my SL in for a problem with the ABC and to have the dealer see why my command system would shut down intermitantly. It would happen without warning and would shut off and then power itself back up. The dealer told me that he to noted it and could only say that it was heat related. When the unit got to hot, it shut down. I live in Washingon DC and it was quite warm yesterday and the navigation wouldn't operate, kept saying loading navigation. Radio and cd both worked along with Sirrius radio but no nav. Shut the car down to visit my mom and a couple of hours later, low and behold that everything was ok. I have an extended warranty on the car through Easy Care and they said they wouldn't do anything until the unit failed. I'm not looking to replace it, I just don't like the fact that it's happening more frequently. Anyone else having the same or similar problems with their command units?

Wleuschen 12-06-2018 10:08 PM

I have a 2003 SL55AMG that the radio will stop working and if you power the radio off and then back on it will work for a while. Sometimes it will take hours before it stops and other times quite soon after startup.
I have had it checked out at 2 different MB dealers but they were unable to find any issues.
One went in an ran a diagnostics of the optical loop but again did not find an issue.
I love the car, wish I could get rid of the gremlins!
Any ideas?
Wm

Rudeney 12-07-2018 09:35 PM

It's probably a bad radio. Personally, with the age of it, I'd replace it with a nice, modern aftermarket unit.

bobterry99 12-08-2018 12:43 PM

I'd have my eye open for a deal on a used replacement from an '04 or older SL.

Andreoue 12-12-2018 03:33 PM

Command system shut off and on sometime

Hello, I have the same problem of the other. My command system shut off and on sometime on SL550 2007 and sometime when I strated the system command don’t go on, I stopped and restart and it go on. Any ideas?

sorry if my English was not correct, I’m french people.

Tks

Greg100 05-24-2020 10:53 AM

I have a 1996 SL 500 with the original Balupunkt. When I turn on the radio the screen says "WAIT" and the radio does not function. I am assuming the system is waiting for some microswitch in the antenna system to tell it the antenna is all the say up Is that true? Also I am considering an upgrade to a more modern radio. Anyone had experience doing this upgrade and if so what did you do?

bobterry99 05-24-2020 07:12 PM

I think WAIT indicates the radio is waiting for you to input a security code, Greg. A dealer service department can give you the code if you supply them with proof of ownership.

The wiring diagram for your radio and the rest of the car is available as a small download here: R129 ETM 64.

Finally, this is the R230 forum. You ought to post over there as well.

pmercury 05-24-2020 11:08 PM

or just give me your vin and i'll gen you a unlock code
easier would be to send me the radio sticker on the back