SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Quirky Headrests

Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Quirky Headrests

Here's one for y'all- why in the hell do the headrests automatically raise when you move the seats. Irritates the crap out of me for some reason. Doesn't matter whether the seat is moved forward or backward, the headrest just goes up. Not just on my SL55. I've had many MBs and it seem they all did it too. Is it just my cars that are dysfunctional, or as I Kirchner calls it, do the elves in Deutschland think they know better than me when and if I want my headrest to be raised? And my passengers too?
Rather officious intermeddling to me. Really, why not link the windows to the wipers, or the radio to the brakes. Could this be a grand conspiracy to eventually try to control my mind...and yours...to take over the world?

Last edited by Howitzer; 08-05-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Reference
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
lmao at your post! you better get used to it. The "elves" think they know it all. There are a few quirky things about our cars but I'm sure no more than other manufacturer's

for example why is it on my 05 sl I can't change the preset radio stations with the controls on my steering wheel?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM

2004 SL500
If you use the button on the door to move the seat, it adjusts the headrest for the size of the person. Move the seat forward - short person - headrest down, move the seat backward - tall person - headrest up. It makes perfect sense. If you want to move the seat forward to get behind the seat, use the buttons on top of the seatback - the headrest does not move.

I believe some of the steering wheel buttons can be programmed to do different things. (I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.)

That being said, it does not mean that I don't believe the elves in Deutschland are not somehow involved.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM

SL55 AMG
Not true SLKBOB, at least with my vehicles. As I said, the headrests always go up, regardless of whether you move the seat forward or backward. And the seat button does the same thing. It could make sense if the headrests behaved as you say, but even then, from what reference point do the elves figure? Also, yes, on my Sl55 if you flip the menu to radio from the steering wheel buttons (the bottom ones that have "pages"), you can adjust the presets with the arrow buttons (top bottons).
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM

2004 SL500
Well, on my car the headrest does not move when I use the buttons on top of the seatback.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Originally Posted by Howitzer
Not true SLKBOB, at least with my vehicles. As I said, the headrests always go up, regardless of whether you move the seat forward or backward. And the seat button does the same thing. It could make sense if the headrests behaved as you say, but even then, from what reference point do the elves figure? Also, yes, on my Sl55 if you flip the menu to radio from the steering wheel buttons (the bottom ones that have "pages"), you can adjust the presets with the arrow buttons (top bottons).
what year SL do you own? For some reason the elves changed the radio preset feature on the 05 model
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM

SL55 AMG
Hey gqa, I have a 2004 SL55. It's real easy on my car - scroll with the right "page" button on the left side of the steering wheel. The Menus appear in the instrument cluster (speedometer) in the LED boxes on the bottom left and right. Scroll past "malfunction" report, then through "Nav" indicator. The next display will be the radio station station playing (bottom right LED, the odometer reading will be on the left LED). Simply push the arrow up or down buttons on the steering wheel to scroll through your presets. You can do the same thing to scroll through songs when listening to CDs. Hope that did not change in '05. Let me know.

Last edited by Howitzer; 08-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Originally Posted by Howitzer
Hey gqa, I have a 2004 SL55. It's real easy on my car - scroll with the right "page" button on the left side of the steering wheel. The Menus appear in the instrument cluster (speedometer) in the LED boxes on the bottom left and right. Scroll past "malfunction" report, then through "Nav" indicator. The next display will be the radio station station playing (bottom right LED, the odometer reading will be on the left LED). Simply push the arrow up or down buttons on the steering wheel to scroll through your presets. You can do the same thing to scroll through songs when listening to CDs. Hope that did not change in '05. Let me know.
Yea Howitzer, it was changed for the 05 model. This has been complained about on several posts here. Those damn elves. lol

Thanks for trying to help!