SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: REALLY need advice -- any mech's out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
REALLY need advice -- any mech's out there?

I need a 2nd and 3rd opinion from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. I'm reaching the end of my patience.

For a year I've been taking my SL to Ditmire's in Absecon. They're less expensive then the dealer, but they have been fixing one thing after another but not remedying the problem. Problem: the hard top isn't working and the suspension shows errors. 3x in the shop and finally the suspension has been completely replaced and there was water in the spare tire well but it didn't damage the pump (then why isn't it working?)

I tried someone new for the top, some guy in Cinnaminson NJ (that actually came recommended). He tells me the pump is shot and he can get me a used one for $400. Now he says oh by the way your engine mount is 75% broken, there is a flex seal on the trans that is tearing, the gas tank needs to be replaced because the inside shell is detached from the outside shell, an outer ball joint is broken, and a few other things. The bill for the top isn't $400, magically it's $1300 (so $900 to put a pump in???), and if the engine mount goes I'm looking at $6000 in damages.

Ok here's my questions:
1-If all that is true why wouldn't the dealer or Ditmire mention this over the last year? I'm sure they want the business too.
2-How many engine mounts are there? If 1 goes it's going to cause $6000 in damage?
3-How dangerous is the gas tank? Remember that I've been driving it for 2 years as is already.
4-If the ball joint was bad wouldn't I hear a clicking when I turn?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by GreazyDeigo
I need a 2nd and 3rd opinion from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. I'm reaching the end of my patience.

For a year I've been taking my SL to Ditmire's in Absecon. They're less expensive then the dealer, but they have been fixing one thing after another but not remedying the problem. Problem: the hard top isn't working and the suspension shows errors. 3x in the shop and finally the suspension has been completely replaced and there was water in the spare tire well but it didn't damage the pump (then why isn't it working?)

I tried someone new for the top, some guy in Cinnaminson NJ (that actually came recommended). He tells me the pump is shot and he can get me a used one for $400. Now he says oh by the way your engine mount is 75% broken, there is a flex seal on the trans that is tearing, the gas tank needs to be replaced because the inside shell is detached from the outside shell, an outer ball joint is broken, and a few other things. The bill for the top isn't $400, magically it's $1300 (so $900 to put a pump in???), and if the engine mount goes I'm looking at $6000 in damages.

Ok here's my questions:
1-If all that is true why wouldn't the dealer or Ditmire mention this over the last year? I'm sure they want the business too.
2-How many engine mounts are there? If 1 goes it's going to cause $6000 in damage?
3-How dangerous is the gas tank? Remember that I've been driving it for 2 years as is already.
4-If the ball joint was bad wouldn't I hear a clicking when I turn?
Question is this mechanic name Meni? Eurostar? 03 SL have same. What's mileage then we can determine if all this is needed.

Last edited by la22bay; 06-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 AM

2014 S550 4matic
Just to help you through this, I have the same yr and model SL500 for 61/2 yrs now. I only have 67,571 miles of which I only put 17,571 over 6yrs. I had to replace gas tank, motor mounts, ABC had to be corrected, and a host of other normal maintenance over 4yrs. I purchased this vehicle from dealer and all repairs were done under warranty. just prior to the expiration of the warranty I gave the auto to the dealer to check and make replacement and repairs on every problem they found. They kept my car for 3 months because the ABC warning visit workshop kept appearing even when told everything is good and there is no problems after 3 months when I received my car the ABC warning came on again, and the battery was draining every two days. After calling roadside it was found they sold me a defective battery so they replaced it free of charge. Why I am telling you all this is because even when I don't dog this vehicle and drive it seasonally, it had 49999 miles when I test drove it at dealer and 50003 when I brought it home. now all of the problems you are experiencing could definitely be present and the dealers will only check what you request at time of service, knowing that there may be other problems some will list them on your service record receipt. the gas tank I'm told is a common problem, as ABC, motor mounts 2 in total, battery drainage and soft close trunk pistons leak over time. Just saying I don't even drive this car hard and was told if I didn't have warranty on last visit that all the work would have been $16K in total. I'm still a good way from 100K on this car and it was starmarked and still all these breakdowns occurred. So don't get frustrated just have each problem checked and asked the extent of wear and tear and what is priority, ball joints I have not had any problem with to date. Hope you let me know who this NJ mechanic is because I might know him. as I have been driving these cars for 35yrs and it is not too many tricks that get by me.

Last edited by la22bay; 06-09-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
I don't know the specific mechanics name, but the shop is Ditmire on the White Horse Pike in Absecon NJ. There, they charged me every time I brought the vehicle in for a computer diagnostic of $650 and then returned the car to me with the wrong repairs. They did fix a few things, but nothing i would recommend going to them for.

I have about 130k miles on it. Long and incredibly bad story, bought the car 5 or 6 years ago with 30k miles on it as part of a business deal that ended with me suing my partner over and repossessing the car.

All the problems you've described I've had. They want to replace the gas tank (which I can't begin to imagine how much that would cost), and I had to basically replace the entire SRS and Suspension systems, several parts of the trunk, there's a few things completely missing that should be there, it's just a mess that I'm trying to salvage. I can't sell the car because I'll get less than I've spent in mechanics bills already and apparently I'm less than $2000 from it being acceptable again. I just want to make sure this IS normal, I've never owned this type of car before and can't say that I would again.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 AM

2014 S550 4matic
My mechanic is Meni off Rt 73N Cinnaminson 2514 at High St # 856-661-9001 tell him Bert referred you he may be cheeper and if you give list he will fix it right Euro star is shop name

Last edited by la22bay; 06-11-2012 at 12:03 PM.