MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Post up where you bought your batteries from and did they last? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/477519-post-up-where-you-bought-your-batteries-did-they-last.html)

B-tsai 01-12-2013 03:05 PM

Post up where you bought your batteries from and did they last?

Hey all

I'm starting my search for a new pair of front and rear batteries for my Sl55.. and noted that there's so many different sources with a wide range of prices.

So to avoid the duplication of this in the future by somebody else, can you guys post up where you bought your batteries, their model number and cost?

(Note, it seems super hard to find an aftermarket front battery.. but it has been found before by some people on this board...)

1) Walmart - Rear Battery - Everstart Maxx-H6 (by Johnson Controls), 910 CA and 730 CCA. 3-year full warranty, pro-rated 9-year warranty. Cost was only $107.97 (Canada) + $15 core charge. USA website shows $99.87. Shows free install and testing as well.

2) Canadian Tire - Rear Battery - Motomaster product number 10-4900-0, 1000 CA and 850 CCA. 3-year full warranty. Cost was $124.99 + $15 core charge

3) Canadian Tire - Rear Battery - Motomaster Eliminator product number 10-4985-8, 1080 CA and 900 CCA. 4-year full warranty. Cost was $149.99 + $15 core charge

4) Pepboys - Rear Battery - Bosch part number 49-850B, 1000 CA and 850 CCA. 3-year full warranty, pro-rated 8-year warranty. Cost is $108.99 + 12 core. Sometimes Pep boys has $20 or $25 off coupons and bosch has $20 rebates on top.

5) Interstate (Vancouver, B.C. location) - Front Battery - $149

6) MB Canada dealership - Front battery $236.80, Rear battery $313.50

7) MB Washington dealership - Front battery $196, rear battery $258

brownboy 02-03-2013 05:00 AM

I had my battery die in a bad place and the Austin MB dealership said they couldn't help me for 6 days. Thanks for nothing.

I have another specialty shop I go to for basic things like brake jobs but they were too busy too so I stopped by a Firestone (gasp).

They said they could do the job but had trouble getting one of the batteries but a few hours and $405 later I had 2 new batteries. One interstate and the other marked MB.

I have an '09 that was purchased in '08 so the originals were a little over 4 years old. The car sits for up to a week at a time.

egwu 02-04-2013 08:28 AM

For batteries, I usually bite the bullet and get it from the dealer. In fact, I stopped dealing with the hassle of driving all the way to the dealer to pick it up. So I usually call Mercedes Road Side Assistance and they deliver the battery for me :). However, Mercedes roadside assistance policy has changed recently. So I don't know if I would be using that service anymore.

B-tsai 03-26-2013 09:04 PM

Heads up, the front battery I bought at the Interstate store.. was the OEM one.. Mercedes stickers/logos and all.

They wanted $179 for it this time, but I talked them back down to $149+tax.

Sidenote:
I now have a red "Visit Workshop" and red battery warning in my dash after changing the front battery. Seems I need the MB system to have it reset. Any other suggestions?

Didin't have this warning problem when I changed the rear battery.

Edit #2 - Visit workshop disappeared the next day. Seems to reset after 3 or 4 restarts... sweet.

SL600Mojo 03-26-2013 10:54 PM

Replaced both

Front Battery Mercedes $150 and core exchange $12
Rear Battery DuraLast H8-AGM AutoZone $150 plus core exchange $12

DuraLast went dead after about 4 months (I was driving the SL way to intermittently so I took it back, and they gave me a new one) Been driving it regularly and no problems. Just bought a CTEK3000 charger so I can keep the battery fresh.

I buy all batteries that I can at AutoZone, they have always replaced batteries for me with no problem - so I just keep that relationship peppered with my business.

SL600Mojo

Peshki19 04-19-2013 10:23 AM

Silly question... Anyone experiment with lightweight batteries? And float tenders?

Sorry don't mean to go off topic. I buy online when I can and am not under pressure, online pricing is just so competitive theses days. Plus I get the credit card rewards and extended warranty with the credit card companies. I feel its important when your dropping a lot of money on parts :)

Aussiesuede 06-04-2018 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by B-tsai (Post 5592115)
Heads up, the front battery I bought at the Interstate store.. was the OEM one.. Mercedes stickers/logos and all.

They wanted $179 for it this time, but I talked them back down to $149+tax.

Sidenote:
I now have a red "Visit Workshop" and red battery warning in my dash after changing the front battery. Seems I need the MB system to have it reset. Any other suggestions?

Didin't have this warning problem when I changed the rear battery.

Edit #2 - Visit workshop disappeared the next day. Seems to reset after 3 or 4 restarts... sweet.

I know this is an old post, but since it was meant as comprehensive Battery info it's worth adding that when replacing the front starter battery, you must first disconnect the rear consumer battery, then install the new front starter battery, then reconnect the rear consumer battery. That's the reason the Red Battery Warning was illuminated. Hopefully this helps others with the proper procedure.

TheSaint 06-04-2018 06:39 PM

I got a new 70 Amp Fiamm VR760 EcoForce AGM battery last summer and so far it been great so i am pleased with the battery

I have a CTEK MSX 5.0 trickle charger that i have used during the winter when i did not use the car but i have not used the trickle charger at all after the winter
Most of my driving is short trips with a lot of stops and starts but no need for any charging so far

Now i see that this is an old post......

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4a9ff61d7e.jpg

OctaviusPrime 06-10-2018 01:38 AM

Rear Battery

AutoZone
H6 AGM
$199.00
Lifetime warranty
This was for the consumer not available notice I kept getting. Seems to have fixed that issue, how I can't get the red battery sign to go away. The car starts fine.

Rudeney 06-10-2018 11:08 AM

I've bought many Platinum AGM batteries from Advance Auto. With a coupon, they are under $200. I had one in the C240 that lasted about 7 years and was still going strong the day the car got totaled. The CLK also had one for four years, and now the SL has one (about 2 years old). I am pretty sure they are made by Varta (now Johnson Controls) who is MBZ's OEM.

gafitanu 06-11-2018 09:51 AM

I got the rear battery non-AGM from Sears and after a year I got the accessories message during the winter. So I will get an AGM battery.
The front battery is a different story. Seven years ago the original went dead. I found a marine/motorcycle battery for $40 that was 1/2" taller so I made a new top bracket and never missed a beat since.

viper1996 06-11-2018 07:06 PM

Pep Boys for rear...By far...Best price and warranty...Brand, Bosch...And it has provisions for the vent tube!!! I never replaced front so I am clueless on that one!

ray0214 06-11-2018 09:30 PM

Advance auto

agm battery from advance with 25% off on-line, has vent holes for outside venting. Order on-line and pick up in store, best price with best warranty.

sgort2 04-20-2019 05:39 PM

gafitanu - what is the brand and model number of the marine battery you found?

BrianA. 04-21-2019 11:42 AM

I was going to buy an OEM accessory battery from the local dealer, but they have a two month backorder. I bought an Optima H6 9048-2148 800CCA YellowTop from Big Time Battery. Optima batteries are considered the best ones out there, but I cannot find one compatible with the main battery.

https://www.bigtimebattery.com/store...edes-Benz.html

BrianA.
2007 SL550

sgort2 05-03-2019 07:04 PM

Starter Battery- O’Reilly - Super Start Extreme Group Size V4 Top Post Battery Part # V4EXTJ Line: SSB $160

TheSaint 05-16-2019 12:36 PM

Forgot to say that the battery in the engine compartment is a original Mercedes battery and was new when i bought the car and the rear battery is a 70 Amp Fiamm VR760 EcoForce AGM battery which i put in a couple of moths after i bought the car.

Both batteries in my car are almost 3 years old and i have never had a problem with the front and rear batteries.

I use a CTEK MSX 5.0 tricle charger on the Fiamm AGM battery that is placed in the trunk during the winter but not much at all during summer time. I have used the trickle charger a few days now but not because the battery needed to be charged, just because the car have been standing unused this week

Vader1 05-16-2019 12:38 PM

Batteries Plus. Yes it has lasted

MarkCan 05-21-2019 11:07 PM

Are there any disadvantages of using the non AGM battery?
Quality acid filled will cost about half of the AGM. Since my SL driving season is very short I’m considering one.

gafitanu 05-22-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by sgort2 (Post 7737324)
gafitanu - what is the brand and model number of the marine battery you found?

Sorry sgort2 for the late reply. I just saw your question. I will look this afternoon when I get home.

gafitanu 05-22-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MarkCan (Post 7761086)
Are there any disadvantages of using the non AGM battery?
Quality acid filled will cost about half of the AGM. Since my SL driving season is very short I’m considering one.

The short answer is don't do it. I tried it and it didn't work. The SL's electrical system loads a battery with deep and long cycles after the engine is off. I found electrical loads being "awake" 30 minutes after the engine was off. Even external events can wake up systems. If you have your phone paired to the car and you are close to your garage the audio system will wake up if you make or receive a call. If you are barely using the car there is less battery recharging time. I had 2 acid batteries that lasted less than a year before giving errors. Also if you search this sub-forum with "accessories" you will find many details of battery issues.

ray0214 05-22-2019 10:09 AM

STAY WITH AGM

Too many problems with electrical system with non agm.. why risk it? AGM batteries will go five years plus

gafitanu 06-08-2019 11:28 AM

Sorry for the long delay. The starter battery that I got is Duralast Gold from Autozone, P#: 8AMU1R-DLG. Pictures attached. It is about 1” taller than the original so I had to make another bracket for it. I see that a new one is $170, when I got mine it was completely discharged in the store that’s why the big discount.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8587e4870.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...97630de55.jpeg

bobterry99 06-08-2019 11:54 AM

Walmart sells an AGM battery which is a perfect fit for the R230's trunk. Cost is $150. Warranty is 5 years.

HLG600 06-11-2019 12:32 PM

Autocraft Gold V4 from Advance Auto for the starter battery. Tried to find a suitable AGM option of comparable size but no luck. This was replacing a 5 year old "Mercedes" battery that, despite having no trouble starting the car, was leaking.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-v4/10653330-P

The accessory battery the car came with is a few years old and works perfectly. However, when the time comes, I will likely replace it with a Champion AGM ($102 after rebate from Pep Boys with a 4 year warranty):

https://www.pepboys.com/car-batterie...%206.2L%20DOHC