SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Need some help!!! Vario Roof and Rollbar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 AMG (R230)
Need some help!!! Vario Roof and Rollbar

I’ve searched the DIYs and he threads for a solution to my Vario roof issue but have not found a solution. I’ve been using the R230 Vario Roof Diagnostic Aid pdf to help isolate the problem. I do not have any other diagnostic tools to work with other than a*OBDScanner.

Problem #1 - During the opening phase it gets stuck between Stage 4 and stage 5. The flaps are fully extended and the roof is completely lowered but Tubular frame does not move forward on its own and the motor continues to run until I release theroof*switch. However, if I nudge the Tubular frame forward, it continues the cycle until the Tubular frames are trying to lock. Now, I run into another problem (Problem #2)… whether I’m opening or closing the roof, it doesn’t seat and lock the forward-most corner of the trunk near the rear window (right side). I can manually lock it down but only during the Closing sequence. If the roof is lowered into the trunk it obstructs the access to the*locking*bolt. So I am unable to drive the car with the top down.

During the closing phase the Trunk is tubular frame is stuck during phase 5 and does not seem to be activating the*Hydraulic cylinder 8*in order to lower the tubular frame. As mentioned before I can nudge the trunk and frame forward to complete the cycle and then manually lock the right side Tubular frame cylinder #7.*

I did a check for leaks by removing all of the trunk trim and liner but didn’t find any. I did find evidence that someone has been in there before. I found a connector that was unplugged after I removed the panels. Now, I hear a beep/chirp whenever something unexpected happens like I described above.*

Problem #3 – The rollover bar is currently stowed and doesn’t deploy manually using the buttons under the vario*roof*switch. Any suggestions on what to look for here?

Problem #4 - With the roof closed I noticed the level of the fluid in the RVC is right at or slightly below the lower mark. I tried to fill this by pouring the fluid directly into the port but that didn’t work. It just flowed out. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know if this causes any or all of the problems I’m having above?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 sl500
I know its been a few years, but did you reslove this problem? I'm having the exact same problem.
The following users liked this post:
White Spyder (03-30-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500
Originally Posted by Fremar
I know its been a few years, but did you reslove this problem? I'm having the exact same problem.
Hi i am also having the same issue. Did you manage to sort yours out as well