SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Roll Bar Stuck Up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Roll Bar Stuck Up...

Last night driving home, I drove over a bridge with a little extra speed and as I was nearly getting airborn (I didn't), the roll bar popped up. Now it's stuck up. I've tried pressing the up botton to reset it. The motor runs but, no ratcheting sounds or movement. I've tried lowering it and again, the motor sounds for about 10 seconds and again no movement. Now I try to raise the top and the trunk opens but the top doesn't come out. I had the Mercedes Roadside Assistance to my home with the computer and it shows two faults and asks to close the roof so it can reset the rollbar. The top doesn't go up!

Anyone else have the same experience? If it's not raining tomorrow, I'm going to try to get in to the dealer to get it fixed...

Hmmm....
Old 12-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you try exterting just a small amount of pressure? Maybe the rollbar got off it's tracks therfore it's not catching the motor thing?

I hope I explained what I was trying to say decently, I just woke up and I haven't had my cereal
Old 12-29-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Several years ago the roll bar deployed off hitting a bump in my old R129. If I recall rightly the trick was to hold the switch as if you wanted to *raise* the roll bar. This brought the mechanism in-line with the already-raised roll bar. Then if you move the switch the other way the motor lowers the roll bar. Of course the mechanism on the R230 could be completely different.

Trimmer2, I’m looking forward to getting my SL600 in February – the build date is tomorrow, December 30. With all the good things said about the Renntech mods on this forum I certainly plan to get those. Now that you’ve had the car for a bit, what do you think of the engine sound? Has it changed with the mods? I’ve heard the SL600 is very muted compared with the 55 (which is not necessarily a bad thing on highway trips). Have you considered getting a sport exhaust from Renntech or is the sound sporty enough?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:13 AM

Oops! After re-reading your post I see you've already tried hitting the up switch first. Best of luck and hope they manage to fix it for you.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:39 AM

The mods have only slightly given the car a little more engine feedback but, hardly noticable...and since I'm using the SL65 Transmission Computer, the car revs higher and downshifts so with the top down there's more exhaust noise. With the top up, there's very little exhaust noise. Personally, I like a very quiet car so, I won't be doing any exhaust mods. RennTech said at best I might pick up 10hp so, I hardly thought the effort was worth it for the price.... I do like the quad tips ala SL55 though.

I'm running with the stock Michelin Pilot Sports which are getting noisier by the week. Top up or down, their just noisy but, I can't do without the performance so, I guess I have to live with them for now. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone SO3 Pole Positions but, they don't make them in the sizes I need.

Next step is to get bigger/wider wheels to get more rubber on the road. Hopefully then I'll be able to use the Bridgestones...
Old 12-29-2003, 10:44 AM

Roll Bar Fixed

I took the car to the dealer this morning and they fixed/reset the Roll Bar.

It seems that when the Bar is deployed pending a roll over, there's a hydrolic ram that sends the bar up and then retracts. The ram needs to be reset and can only be done mechanically by the dealer. Total time to fix was less than 5 minutes and done while I waited.

They also said there's no way to dampen the deployment settings so I can keep enjoying my local bridge at a spirited pace!
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: Roll Bar Fixed

Originally posted by Trimmer2

It seems that when the Bar is deployed pending a roll over, there's a hydrolic ram that sends the bar up and then retracts. The ram needs to be reset and can only be done mechanically by the dealer. Total time to fix was less than 5 minutes and done while I waited.

They also said there's no way to dampen the deployment settings so I can keep enjoying my local bridge at a spirited pace!
That's a good idea, IMO if the dealer has to reset it. Cuz if you were in an accident and you rolled over, the roll bar protects you from the car crushing you. That way if you hit the button by accident during the event, you can't retract the roll bar while it's holding up the car.

-G-
Old 12-29-2003, 01:20 PM

I wonder whether you could avoid the problem by raising the roll bar manually whenever you are going to drive over that bridge. The ram might not fire if the system detects that the roll bar is already deployed.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Trimmer2

Hello all. New member and just got my AMG 4 days ago. Didn't take long to activate the roll bar and find out the "hold the raise button" reset didn't work (top down, of course). I thought I'd post the nitty gritty of how to re-engage the ram coupler.

Passenger side just below the roll bar pivot hinge and behind the curved trim panel is where the ram is located. There is a solenoid that holds together a knuckle connecting the ram to the roll bar. It's a very quality looking piece of machined aluminum on both halves. Problem was the lower half of the knuckle (attached to the ram) twisted a little and would not align and re-engage with the upper solenoid half. I pulled the trim panel off since I wasn't sure what I was looking for, but in the future I could probably use a long screwdriver or even a coat hanger to realign the knuckle.

In the photo: The blue arrow is the lower half of the knuckle attached to the operation ram. The red arrow is the upper half of the knuckle attached to the solenoid and roll bar. Once aligned, raise the roll bar with the control button and it will re-engage.

I hope this helps others out.

BTW, I raised the bar and took the same spirited drive as when the bar activated automatically and did not have to reset it.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails Roll Bar Stuck Up...-2014-12-30-09.21.22.jpg  

Last edited by harderkev; 12-31-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002. CLK 55 AMG Silver convertible
Roll bar stuck.

I'm having the same experiences with getting air and having roll bar
Go to full lock pre rollover mode. I am hoping someone Can tell how to unlock unlock the roll bar . Note: it is one continuous roll bar , not two separate head rests. Its very solid & something needs to be reset.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
I feel tempted to suggest you read this thread.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
I feel tempted to suggest you read this thread.
If the profile is correct, he is not even in the right forum.