SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: 2005 SL500 bluetooth FM transmitter option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
2005 SL500 bluetooth FM transmitter option?

Done a ton of research on trying to get this fibre optic nightmare OEM stereo to allow me to play my own music from my phone. Unforutnately, there is no 3.5mm input jack on my model year (apparently 03-04 have this input jack in glove box: I don't). I want to figure out an inexpensive way to listen to bluetooth music, or even have an AUX input. I was wondering if an FM transmitter might be an option. I understand sound quality might be borderline but for the cost of $20-ish transmitter I'm willing to see how it sounds. My only other options seem to be buying a Mobridge M2Connect MOST or Gateway 500S BT for around $500-600 and then getting it installed for another $100++.

I don't need the phone calling features because the visor clip Jabra Freeway I use is good enough for handsfree calling. Basically, i just want to listen to my Android phone music. I have no experience with a FM transmitter, no idea how they work. Do I need to somehow physically connect it to my stereo, or can this all be done wirelessly? Any brand better than another and worth the extra coin?

thnx for educating me!!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
One option would be to install the factory iPod interface, then use a dongle that plugs into the iPod 30-pin connector and talks Bluetooth.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:49 PM

2005 SL500
Is there a how-to thread on what you just posted? I have an Ipod 30 pin connector on my 05 TL. I bought an adapter plug off ebay that converts a 30 pin to a 3.5mm jack, but it still won't let me play my music from my phone.

My 2005 SL500 does not have an Ipod wired in at the moment. How difficult is this to install, and how much are the parts? I'd be happy with what you've suggested if it keeps my costs down compared to what the MOST interfaces cost.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I have not tried this, but I am going to buy one for the kid's ML350"

http://a.co/9JST0k2

As for the iPod integration kit, here's an example of one:

http://r.ebay.com/ZSRyE0

I am not 100% certain this will fit your SL, but I think the NTG2 COMAND units are all pretty much the same. The issue is, you have to have the AUX option on the Audio menu to use this, and I am not sure yours has that. I know that the MY2005 SL's had the option because I remember installing an ipod kit on one (an SL55) but looking at the COMAN manual, I don't see the option.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM

2005 SL500
After a ton of research my head was spinning to figure out a way to ECONOMICALLY listen to my Spotify playlists (or whatever music you have set up on your phone or other devices). I spent $20 on a good quality FM transmitter and so far it has worked great. i know there will be places where the FM signal will pick up the frequency and i will have to make an adjustment....not a deal breaker for me. I googled my area for best frequencies and found lots of good info. I also like the fact i can just use the 3.5mm jack and not have to connect via bluetooth. This allows me to use Jabra visor mounted handsfree to talk and my phone can use 3.5mm to play music = no bluetooth conflicts. I'm sure to a purist with dog-like hearing, this set up may not be the answer. My hearing is mediocre at best and this suits me a lot better than spending $1500 to do what Mercedes should have done in the first place. It sounds a lot better than the Drive-thru speakers.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
I'm horrified by the fact that my 150K SL600 does not have ipod integration or even an auxiliary port. However what i have done is went back to the stone age and bought a CD burner and burned 150 MP3 song to play in the main single CD player, the 6 disc changer i don't think will play MP3s.
The following users liked this post:
Frederick NL (10-05-2019)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 AM

2005 SL500
FX Format, I hear ya on being horrified! Since i am using Spotify, burning a disc wasn't an option...I would be fine with that too..in my retro 10 disc stacker
Old 03-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
Just dump it and get an aftermarket head unit with all the features you want plus more and a separate 5-channel amp to bypass the MOST Bose amplifier. I did that on my 2005 Boxster S - best $2k I ever spent. That included a backup camera, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, BT with handsfree phone, GPS, HD radio, yada yada yada.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
I just bought this, i've used it on my 95 Camry and the static level seems to be very low, or maybe the car's engine is so loud i don't notice it.

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
I got a FM transmitter very similar to the one above and it works great for the cost.

Sound quality isn't that bad overall. I'd say better than any standard FM radio station by a long shot. I've even used the Bluetooth feature on it and its workable.

If you hate it, you spent $20-$25. No big deal.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM

2005 SL500
we got a FM transmitter aswell but I was also using a Jabra Freeway for my handsfree. The Jabra kept picking up my spotify and trying to play it through little visor speaker on the Jabra. I had the FM transmitter plugged into AUX on my my phone ( I did not pair it for bluetooth). Then I discover my Jabra also has FM transmitter built in, so we eliminated the extra cord & extra FM transmitter and only use Jabra. I think my phone calls come through the stereo aswell. Sound is fine, I don't have dog-like hearing so I don't need to drop $2K on a kickazz system. So now I have 2 things that Mercedes completely blew it on when they designed the audio: I have handsfree calling paired to my phone and I can play my bluetooth tunes from my phone. I paid $30 for a Jabra Freeway on ebay. They have an excellent speaker and are well reviewed.

the one drawback, and it's minor, is that on occasion you need to re-tune frequency as you pick up a station...worse in big Metropolis. I save the different frequencies in my pre-sets since i rarely listen to any radio stations that i need to save in presets.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:51 AM

2006 SL350 R230
I bought one of these
Amazon Amazon
. My 2006 SL350 with the Comand NTG1 (widescreen) doesn't have an Aux-In and I wanted to use iPlayer Radio. It works perfectly, and being battery powered means you can tuck it in the centre cubby box out of the way, without cluttering up the interior. The only downside is it doesn't switch off automatically when your phone moves out of Bluetooth range, if it did that it would be perfect.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:15 AM

r230
If all you're looking for is calls music in anything your cell phone does

I would suggest ancher Bluetooth! It plugs into the cigarette lighter it's got an FM transmitter! Perfect for phone calls less-than-perfect for music it plays through your stereo. I use mine all the time I have music downloaded to my cell phone and I have audible etc. Static is your enemy! I know the staticky the areas in my city,! I would get it it's under 30 bucks.. I have recently got for my car.... Hifong! Three Stockett cigarette lighter adapter and a whole bunch more ! Really neat options.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
R230 350SL
Originally Posted by 57staff
Just dump it and get an aftermarket head unit with all the features you want plus more and a separate 5-channel amp to bypass the MOST Bose amplifier. I did that on my 2005 Boxster S - best $2k I ever spent. That included a backup camera, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, BT with handsfree phone, GPS, HD radio, yada yada yada.
I think the original poster is looking for something less costly and seeing as they have already ruled out some $500-600 dollar options they aren’t going to follow your lead.

Personally I went down the Dension Gateway 500 route and am extremely happy with it going through the OEM Bose system. The only downside is that the controls to access tracks via Command are not immediately intuitive, but once you get the hang of it, perfect.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by matk
I think the original poster is looking for something less costly and seeing as they have already ruled out some $500-600 dollar options they aren’t going to follow your lead.

Personally I went down the Dension Gateway 500 route and am extremely happy with it going through the OEM Bose system. The only downside is that the controls to access tracks via Command are not immediately intuitive, but once you get the hang of it, perfect.
In my previous SL (05 SL500) I had installed the MoBridge ABT2010. It's similar to the Dension unit. It basically replaces your CD Changer, and gives you a 30 pin iPod interface, and Bluetooth functionality. The Bluetooth can be used for both phone calls and such, and for audio streaming. All the steering wheel functions work as before, and you have full control of your iPod and Bluetoth phone calls through the Command screen and buttons, however if you're using Bluetooth audio streaming (like Pandora or Spotify), that is controlled through the phone itself, the Comand just controls the volume and such.

The nice thing about these units (Dension and Mobridge) is that they do not require a lot of work to install, and you maintain your existing Comand and Bose amp. The only thing you loose is the CD Changer functionality, I don't know about the Dension, but the Mobridge can be setup in line with the CD-Changer, and while you can't have both active at the same time, the Mobridge provides a switch to to let you switch between either or.

On my current SL550, I opted for a complete head unit replacement, but if you want to keep the original Comand, your options are very limited. The most complete are the Dension or the Mobridge, everything else doesn't measure up, especially FM transmitters, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.
matk (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
See my thread on mr 12 volt. $150 gets you everything you need with OEM integration
Leej (02-23-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:35 PM

Current: '07 SL550 & '14 GLK350. Previously owned: '06 ML350, '05 SL500, '99 ML320 & '98 SLK230 (RI
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
See my thread on mr 12 volt. $150 gets you everything you need with OEM integration
Well, not everything. It gets you Bluetooth integration. I'm not sure how the Phone itself integrates, since you don't really mention that, but as far as the Bluetooth Audio, it's about the same as the Dension or Mobridge. You can basically go up or down on the songs. That works fine if your songs are al local on your phone, or if you use Pandora or Spotify, and you only use 1 channel/station. But you need to change stations or channels or artist or playlist, you need to do that from the phone, right?

The Dension/Mobridge units are true iPod/iPhone integration, you can control the playlist or the sort by artist or genre, or album, etc from the Command unit or from your steering wheel. The Phone function is also fully integrated with phonebook download and such, and I don't need to switch back and forth, the Phone is treated independently, and is controlled by the Comand or from the steering wheel controls.

On a side note, I went to Mr 12V site and I can't ind any Mercedes interfaces, Only Audi, Volvo, BMW and Porsche. I can see their installation video for a Mercedes w211, but it doesn't say which model they used. Are they still selling it?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Dudeman
Well, not everything. It gets you Bluetooth integration. I'm not sure how the Phone itself integrates, since you don't really mention that, but as far as the Bluetooth Audio, it's about the same as the Dension or Mobridge. You can basically go up or down on the songs. That works fine if your songs are al local on your phone, or if you use Pandora or Spotify, and you only use 1 channel/station. But you need to change stations or channels or artist or playlist, you need to do that from the phone, right?

The Dension/Mobridge units are true iPod/iPhone integration, you can control the playlist or the sort by artist or genre, or album, etc from the Command unit or from your steering wheel. The Phone function is also fully integrated with phonebook download and such, and I don't need to switch back and forth, the Phone is treated independently, and is controlled by the Comand or from the steering wheel controls.

On a side note, I went to Mr 12V site and I can't ind any Mercedes interfaces, Only Audi, Volvo, BMW and Porsche. I can see their installation video for a Mercedes w211, but it doesn't say which model they used. Are they still selling it?
I picked mine up a little less than a month ago from eBay. Install was very easy and I used that w211 video as a reference. If you want to change channels or stations you do have to do it through your phone.
Leej (02-23-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
I picked mine up a little less than a month ago from eBay. Install was very easy and I used that w211 video as a reference. If you want to change channels or stations you do have to do it through your phone.
How is the phone functionality?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Dudeman
How is the phone functionality?
most people use the Bluetooth puck for the phone. It comes with a mic but I didnt set it up as you would have to route the wiring from the cd changer in the back.

I do not have the phone set up, but will probably do the Bluetooth OEM puck in the future
Old 02-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
I also went with an FM transmitter that fits in the ashtray (with the cigarrette plug hacked off and hardwired to power). Out of sight when I want it to be. I have a flat power cord that can keep the phone charging and an app (android) that keeps the lock screen on when it is charging. I have track name, skip/repeat fuction on my phone lock screen or on the FM device if the phone is in my pocket. In that case, I can't see the song title but have skip forward/back answer call on the FM device. The mic in the device works OK to pick up my voice. Under $30. I wanted to keep the CD changer. It does play MP3, and I have most of my music library on there, with artists alphabetically (divided up on the discs) and songs in each artist folder. I also have a MP3 DVD in the dash unit that has ~ 600 songs I play on random selection.

All things considered, it is OK, if not as integrated as it could be if I went full custom.
Frederick NL (02-23-2020)