SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Pressure release screw on RVC won't tighten

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SL55 AMG
Pressure release screw on RVC won't tighten

Good afternoon, I just bought a '06 SL55 AMG knowing that the front latch cylinder was in need of an overhaul. Easy enough. I opened the pressure relief screw 1 full rotation, disconnected the trunk lift cylinder to allow me to put the rear deck lid into the service position..........Anyhow once the cylinder was rebuilt and everything was reassembled, I attempted to close the pressure relief screw and it won't even get snug. It just keeps turning. Hoping that someone has insight and can give me some good news. I'm guessing that I'm about to get boned! Thanks

Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM

'06 SL55 AMG
Is there another forum that is better suited for this question?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 R230
Welcome to the group. You're in he best forum for these cars that I have found. There aren't a boatload of folks on here like a Chevy forum and it may take a bit before someone with a similar experience that can share their solution to see your post.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
commdive55 (07-23-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:34 PM

2005 SL 600,2002 M3,1993 Vette!
It's so aggravating when no one answers you. It happens to me quite a bit on this forum.

I changed my latch cylinder and can't get my roof to open!!

Trying to figure out how to open it manually but can't find an answer on this forum.

I tried the search.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I loosened the same torque screw on the pump trying to relieve the pressure so I could get the roof half open (No Luck) numerous times and it always snugged up for me. I was told not to tighten it too much as it will strip out.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
@commdive55: As horrible suggested, the screw or the threads in the housing may be stripped. I think you're going to meed to remvoe the pump and take it to the workbench to investigate. The screw is not an separately available part, so if it's stripped, you'll just need to find a suitable replacement, If it's the housing threads, then you can try chasing them with a tap, or even re-tapping to a larger size and use a larger screw.

@horrible: I know it is frustrating when you don't get the answers you need. There are many very knowledgeable people on the forum, but not some problems will just be so unusual or rare that no one has the answer. Most people don't want to just post a reply of "I don't know", so a lack of answers to your posts doesn't mean you are being ignored, it just means nobody has any help to offer. Also keep in mind that most of us on the forum are just a bunch of fanatics and are here to share - it's not a job, no one gets paid to be here. It's all for fun, so don't get aggravated. If you have a serious problem that no one here gives you valid help with, then it may be time to seek the help of a paid professional.