SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Sulfur burning smell coming from trunk/battery.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Originally Posted by ray0214
In what MY’s is this something to look out for

Dam good question..... I have friends with these.... thinking i will go check them just for piece of mind...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, I find myself taking a big whiff every time I open the trunk now.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
She's back and running better than ever, drove over 4 hours today up to a mile high elevation, in 105 degree weather, only thing that stunk was me because we had taco bell for lunch.

The BCM was faulted long ago, after i replaced it, it fixed a bunch of other problems i had before.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
That's great news! And a beautiful car!
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Originally Posted by FxFormat
She's back and running better than ever, drove over 4 hours today up to a mile high elevation, in 105 degree weather, only thing that stunk was me because we had taco bell for lunch.

The BCM was faulted long ago, after i replaced it, it fixed a bunch of other problems i had before.

Nice ride Fx! I really like the reveal of the tires in the wheel wells.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 185 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
A toasted R230 SL350 for sale in The Netherlands today.

toasted SL350
Old 09-26-2018, 08:13 AM

SL 600
Originally Posted by bob55
Below is a link to a video showing one of these SL Trunk Fires in Hawaii. This particular incident occurred with a new 2012 SL550 and again, the car had not been driven and was parked in the garage. Luckily, this guy found it before it erupted into flames and burned down his house. In the last minute of the video you can see the electronics module, (the culprit responsible for these fires), because the right side trunk lining is burned and removed. Still smoldering however. My own 2003 incident was actually much worse than what occurred in this video but you can plainly see it happening nevertheless. This ruins all the car's electronics, the car will not start and the trunk will be locked. You will have to use the flat key from the key fob to open it. Once you get the toxic black smoke inside your SL, you will never get the smell out. If there are flames present, and the Fire Department sess there is smoke iside the car, they are likely to spray water and/or chemicals inside the passenger area as well as the trunk. Due to this damage, your SL will most likely be considered 'totaled' by your insurance company, but don't expect the check you receive to be nearly enough to replace it.

Boy you are sure right about that, It's been 2 months of airing it out, dousing the entire trunk in febreeze, shampooed the carpeted liner. It still smells awful in the trunk, i think i have to replace all the trunk lining to get rid of the smell, the cabin isn't as bad now but the trunk area still smells very bad. Lingering plastic burning smell.
The following users liked this post:
danaw007 (09-28-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by Frederick NL
A toasted R230 SL350 for sale in The Netherlands today.
Ouch! Is that yours?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Ouch! Is that yours?
phew - no! Found it on the internet. Car’s from Germany, according to the ad.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Oh, good! I think other than the reports of never getting rid of the smell, it might be a nice project car. There is a TV show here called "Junkyard Empire" about some guys that own an automotive junkyard. They also have a used car dealership where they sell rebuilt cars. There was an episode where they had an R230 with the BCM burned out. They bought it cheap, fixed it, and sold it at a decent profit. It had some other issues that had to be repaired, but they did buy new parts and I think they still came in under $1K for the BCM repairs.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmmm I would’t want a car with a history like that. Good chance there’ll be dozens of gremlins lurkung somewhere in the system. If there has been a spreading burn out, that is. The car I posted has a € 7.000 asking price; parting it out might be worth the trouble.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Rent rent an ozone machine, leave the window cracked about two inches and let it run for about four hours. Done, no more smell.
StirlingMoss722 (01-26-2020)
Old 11-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
I just got back from a 3-day weekend leaving the car to sit. Got in this morning and got the same ozone/burning electrical smell that I could trace to the trunk area.

I'll take the right cover off and take a look at the BCM. Will be taking the car to my local Indie tomorrow for him to check out.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:40 AM

SL 600
Originally Posted by 57staff
I just got back from a 3-day weekend leaving the car to sit. Got in this morning and got the same ozone/burning electrical smell that I could trace to the trunk area.

I'll take the right cover off and take a look at the BCM. Will be taking the car to my local Indie tomorrow for him to check out.
Uh oh, what did you find out? It's easy to check on your own, pull the trunk liner out and the BCM is that aluminum box right there, a couple torx bit to remove the cover and see if it has burned up or anything.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 AM

2008 CL550
Fx - what part did you end up ordering? Did you do the replacement yourself? How difficult is it to do this repair?

Thx
Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 AM

SL 600
Fx - what part did you end up ordering? Did you do the replacement yourself? How difficult is it to do this repair?

Thx
Yep it's super easy, but if you've never taken off the trunk liner before it's going to be difficult for you. The hardest part is removing the liner due to the convertible mechanism in the way, do you know how to put your trunk into service mode? Youtube that and you should be able to remove the liner pretty easily. Once you do that, the BCM is right there, unplug 2 connections and 4 10mm bolts and remove it. That square box is it

I bought a used one on eBay, check your part number and find one that matches it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B606-R230-M...~GOH:rk:3:pf:0

It's been doing great so far, paid $300 for mine.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 PM

2008 CL550
Well, it definitely looks bad. And now my starting battery is dead. Time to get this thing replaced.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:13 PM

2008 CL550
Cheapest I could find on eBay was $400. Looks like prices are going up on these. My local guy quoted me $800 for a factory re-manufactured one.

I think I used the same vendor as you - Labur Parts.

Last edited by 57staff; 11-28-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:17 PM

SL 600
Well, it definitely looks bad. And now my starting battery is dead. Time to get this thing replaced.

damn yours look much worse than mine, lucky you caught it before the trunk burned down. With the way these cars depreciate I doubt the insurance company will give us anything should it become totaled. Kudos for tackling this on your own, it’s pretty easy. The smell will be there for months, mine still stinks. Just jump the starting battery and drive it around for a few it should charge itself.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
It still blows me away this hasn't caused a lawsuit against MB or at the very least a massive recall to replace the problematic parts. Talk about a safety hazard from hell.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 PM

SL 600
Originally Posted by skylolow
It still blows me away this hasn't caused a lawsuit against MB or at the very least a massive recall to replace the problematic parts. Talk about a safety hazard from hell.

Got them to extend the SBC to 25 years, this is a major safety hazard, imagine this just catching on fire inside a garage (which happened btw) and the people inside burned while they were sleeping. Is that what it's gonna take before MB realize it's an issue? If you google Mercedes BCM you'll see tons of results from people with the problem we had. I think if all the people got their cases together and the faulty BCM as evidence, we can get MB to do something.
skylolow (11-29-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:18 AM

2008 CL550
Replaced the battery controller yesterday. No real issues and after a battery jump I am up and running. The Battery warning light came on about an hour after the jump start but after 2 or 3 restarts since then no light has come back. There does seem to still be a strong smell in the cabin and trunk. Nervous that I could be frying another.

In the course of putting the trunk trim back together I managed to break the wires leading into the boot cover sensor. That looks like it will be a pain to repair as the break is very close to the connector. At least the top was up when that happened.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by FxFormat
Got them to extend the SBC to 25 years, this is a major safety hazard, imagine this just catching on fire inside a garage (which happened btw) and the people inside burned while they were sleeping. Is that what it's gonna take before MB realize it's an issue? If you google Mercedes BCM you'll see tons of results from people with the problem we had. I think if all the people got their cases together and the faulty BCM as evidence, we can get MB to do something.
SO TRUE!.....I WAS A VICTIM OF A 230 TRUNK FIRE WHICH OCCURRED INSIDE MY GARAGE AND WOULD HAVE BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN HAD I NOT CAUGHT IT WHEN I DID. IT TOTALED MY SL 500, BUT FORTUNATELY I WAS ABLE TO SAVE MY HOUSE AND MY OTHER (2) MB CARS WHICH WERE ALSO IN THAT GARAGE. MY WIFE AND I COULD HAVE EASILY BECOME VICTIMS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING AS THE SMOKE AND FLAMES GOT INTO THE ATTIC AND SPREAD THROUGH THE

THIS WAS A VERY CLOSE CALL FOR ME AND MY WIFE AS WE WERE ABOUT TO TURN IN FOR THE NIGHT WHEN I WENT TO PUT SOMETHING I THE RECYCLE BIN, (WHICH WAS IN THE GARAGE). AS I OPENED THE DOOR LEADING TO THE GARAGE IT WAS FILLED WITH TOXIC BLACK SMOKE. I IMMEDIATELY POPPED THE GARAGE DOORS OPEN AND THEN SAW 5-FOOT HIGH FLAMES COMING FROM THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE OF MY SL 500 , HUST BELOW THE GAS FILLER CAP, THE REAR TIRE ON THAT SIDE WAS ALSO ON FIRE. BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION, OF THE FIRE., (VERY NEAR THE FUEL TANK), I WAS CONCERNED IT MIGHT EXPLODE AT ANY SECOND.

i WAS ABLE TOi DOUSE THE FLAMES WITH A GARDEN HOSE LOCATED JUST OUTSIDE THE GARAGE, BUT THE CAR WAS STILL BURNING INSIDE THE TRUNK WHICH WOULD NOT OPEN AS NORMAL.. hOWEVER, WHEN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ARRIVED, i WAS ABLE TO OPEN THE TRUNK USING THE 'MANUAL FLAT KEY' WHICH I REMOVED FROM THE MB SMART KEY. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT PUT OUT THE SMOLDERING FIRE INSIDE THE TRUNK, BUT THE BATTERY MODULE KEPT SPARKING UNTIL BOTH BATTERIES WERE DISCONNECTED..

MY EXPERIENCE WAS A NEAR DISASTER FOR SURE!

IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OF AN SL 230 SERIES YOU NEED TO BE AWARE THAT THE BATTERY CONTROL MODULE IN THESE CARS IS A VERY FIRE HAZARD THAT CAN IGNITE WITHOUT WARNING. iN FACT, iN MY CASE, THE CAR HAD NOT EVEN BEEN DRIVEN FOR 3-DAYS WHEN THE TRUNK/GARAGE FIRE OCCURRED. .

THERE HAVE BEEN QUITE A FEW OF THESE 230 TRUNK FIRES, (2003-2012 SL MODELS) ,SO i AM QUITE SURPRISED THERE IS STILL NO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OVER THIS PROBLEM HOWEVER, IT HAS STILL NOT OCCURRED!

IT OCCURRED TO ME THAT MY WIFE AND I COULD HAVE EASILY DIED FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IN OUR SLEEP BECAUSE THE TOXIC WAS ALREADY ENTERING THE ATTIC AND ONCE THERE IT COULD HAVE EASILY TRAVELED TO OUR BEDROOM VIA THE A/C VENTS. WE MIGHT NEVER HAVE HEARD ANY OF THE (8) SMOKE ALARMS ILOCATED INSIDE OUR HOUSE.

Last edited by bob55; 12-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
StirlingMoss722 (01-26-2020)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM

SL 600
Replaced the battery controller yesterday. No real issues and after a battery jump I am up and running. The Battery warning light came on about an hour after the jump start but after 2 or 3 restarts since then no light has come back. There does seem to still be a strong smell in the cabin and trunk. Nervous that I could be frying another.

In the course of putting the trunk trim back together I managed to break the wires leading into the boot cover sensor. That looks like it will be a pain to repair as the break is very close to the connector. At least the top was up when that happened.

That toxic smell is embedded into the carpet and headliners now, the smell will be there for awhile. It should be fine, i cut an access hole to my BCM so that i can check it, just put your hands on it every now and then before you drive, if it's stay cold then you're good, if it's hot/warm then something is shorting out again. Don't check it after a drive, check it before you drive. After a drive it'll get hot.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:10 PM

SL 600
Originally Posted by bob55
SO TRUE!.....I WAS A VICTIM OF A 230 TRUNK FIRE WHICH OCCURRED INSIDE MY GARAGE AND WOULD HAVE BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN HAD I NOT CAUGHT IT WHEN I DID. IT TOTALED MY SL 500, BUT FORTUNATELY I WAS ABLE TO SAVE MY HOUSE AND MY OTHER (2) MB CARS WHICH WERE ALSO IN THAT GARAGE. MY WIFE AND I COULD HAVE EASILY BECOME VICTIMS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING AS THE SMOKE AND FLAMES GOT INTO THE ATTIC AND SPREAD THROUGH THE

THIS WAS A VERY CLOSE CALL FOR ME AND MY WIFE AS WE WERE ABOUT TO TURN IN FOR THE NIGHT WHEN I WENT TO PUT SOMETHING I THE RECYCLE BIN, (WHICH WAS IN THE GARAGE). AS I OPENED THE DOOR LEADING TO THE GARAGE IT WAS FILLED WITH TOXIC BLACK SMOKE. I IMMEDIATELY POPPED THE GARAGE DOORS OPEN AND THEN SAW 5-FOOT HIGH FLAMES COMING FROM THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE OF MY SL 500 , HUST BELOW THE GAS FILLER CAP, THE REAR TIRE ON THAT SIDE WAS ALSO ON FIRE. BECAUSE OF THE LOCATION, OF THE FIRE., (VERY NEAR THE FUEL TANK), I WAS CONCERNED IT MIGHT EXPLOSE AT ANY SECOND.

i WAS ABLE TOi DOUSE THE FLAMES WITH A GARDEN HOSE LOCATED JUST OUTSIDE THE GARAGE, BUT THE CAR WAS STILL BURNING INSIDE THE TRUNK WHICH WOULD NOT OPEN AS NORMAL.. hOWEVER, WHEN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ARRIVED, i WAS ABLE TO OPEN THE TRUNK USING THE 'MANUAL FLAT KEY' WHICH I REMOVED FROM THE MB SMART KEY. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT PUT OUT THE SMOLDERING FIRE INSIDE THE TRUNK, BUT THE BATTERY MODULE KEPT SPARKING UNTIL BOTH BATTERIES WERE DISCONNECTED..

MY EXPERIENCE WAS A NEAR DISASTER FOR SURE!

IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OF AN SL 230 SERIES YOU NEED TO BE AWARE THAT THE BATTERY CONTROL MODULE IN THESE CARS IS A VERY FIRE HAZARD THAT CAN IGNITE WITHOUT WARNING. iN FACT, iN MY CASE, THE CAR HAD NOT EVEN BEEN DRIVEN FOR 3-DAYS WHEN THE TRUNK/GARAGE FIRE OCCURRED. .

THERE HAVE BEEN QUITE A FEW OF THESE 230 TRUNK FIRES, (2003-2012 SL MODELS) ,SO i AM QUITE SURPRISED THERE IS STILL NO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OVER THIS PROBLEM HOWEVER, IT HAS STILL NOT OCCURRED!

That is insane bob, and i'm glad you and your family are okay. Did you take any pics or video of the incident?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Sulfur burning smell coming from trunk/battery.