MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Winter Storage (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/721512-winter-storage.html)

saskwelch 09-17-2018 05:05 PM

Winter Storage

I am getting ready to store my 06 SL500 for the winter. I have no access to power for a trickle charger so looking for the proper procedure for disconnecting the batteries.

FxFormat 09-17-2018 05:44 PM

Just unhook the negative terminal and wrap it around something so it doesn't touch the battery by accident, do the rear consumer battery first. Then go to the front and do the starting battery next, then cover the car with a good car cover. I don't winterize mine, i try to drive it at least once a week to get the fluids churning, even if it's -10 degrees out. It's kinda fun to hear all the creeks and rattles with the roof up :)

cadbob 09-17-2018 07:25 PM

I roll mine onto Rubber Mats I bought at tractor supply, hook up my Polor Ctek Charger, Car Cover her and wait for Spring.

Heres Fxformat :) lol Dont we all wish we had one thou! :)
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6149b8bf8d.jpg

moneyguyforu 09-24-2018 06:01 PM

I am in Canada and need to store as well. I have an 2006 SL500. Previously I hooked up a battery tender and all was fine. This year my storage location won't allow trickle chargers (its a barn). I have tried to find ideas on this website. I read about the wrapping negative cable and leaving batteries in car but would that prevent battery from freezing ? I am thinking about total removal of both batteries and deal with resetting things in the spring if need be. I am sure I wouldn't be the first to remove the batteries. Love to hear from any other Canadians !
Any other input is appreciated. I wonder if dealer would even have an opinion ?

Rudeney 09-24-2018 10:48 PM

There's not much to reset if you do decide to remove the batteries. You'll lose the auto-up window function, radio sound settings (though not presets) and maybe the steering angle sensor.

JaySee56 09-25-2018 12:00 AM

I remove both batteries and keep them stored in a warm place. Give them a charge once or twice during the winter. If the car will freeze, make sure your coolant and windshield fluid is good to -40. If your barn has a dirt floor, park on a large piece of plastic to keep the humidity away from the undercarriage. Be very afraid of mice. I divide a box of mothballs between several aluminum baking pans and place them in the intake, near all four tires and inside the cab. The smell disappears the first warm day you get in the spring. Don't let the car cover touch the ground so the critters can't climb on it. Make sure the wheels are straight so that if the ABC deflates during the winter the tires don't touch the front fenders. (and/or raise the ABC and put blocks under the jack points) Its worked so far....

kbob999 09-25-2018 10:04 AM

I've heard, but have not confirmed, that critters do not like mint. So maybe you could add that to the prevention list. And it would smell fresh in Spring!

JaySee56 10-09-2018 06:15 PM

Haven't driven the CTS for two weeks. Look what I found in the engine bay! (I think a chipmunk is the guilty party, its too big for mice) Could have started a fire. Better get out the mint...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...f44fa2aff1.jpg

Das Geld 2 10-11-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by FxFormat (Post 7556285)
Just unhook the negative terminal and wrap it around something so it doesn't touch the battery by accident, do the rear consumer battery first. Then go to the front and do the starting battery next, then cover the car with a good car cover. I don't winterize mine, i try to drive it at least once a week to get the fluids churning, even if it's -10 degrees out. It's kinda fun to hear all the creeks and rattles with the roof up :)

But don't you need to put a cover on a clean car? So car wash after every drive?

I'm debating whether to trickle charge and drive once a month, then would be no cover because i'm not washing in freezing temps.. or just disconnect and not touch for the winter.

ponchik 11-14-2018 02:17 AM

Guys, thanks for all the info.
Will store my 2004 SL600 in a warm garage. It's rather easy with the batteries, but what to do with the tires? Do you use regular pressure or higher one? Maybe it's better to put the car on blocks or it is not necessary? I wonder whether tyres will still stay round in spring

CPDay 11-15-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ponchik (Post 7603084)
Guys, thanks for all the info.
Will store my 2004 SL600 in a warm garage. It's rather easy with the batteries, but what to do with the tires? Do you use regular pressure or higher one? Maybe it's better to put the car on blocks or it is not necessary? I wonder whether tyres will still stay round in spring

Before storing the SL for the Winter, I have been inflating the tires to an extra 3.0 PSI and using Flatstoppers to prevent flat spot formation. The Flatstoppers seem costly at first, but they are well-made, easy to store and can be used on your next car.