SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Older SL55 vs new SL550?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 SL550
Older SL55 vs new SL550?

Thoughts on a 2009-2011 SL550 with panoroof, air scarf and standard bluetooth versus an few years older SL55 with more torque and HP? I want all the goodies on the newer car, but hate to sacrifice the power.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Power
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I had the same dilemma 2009-2012 SL550 vs 2007-2008 SL55. Decided for the tech and updated styling over the power based on weighing out my priorities for what I wanted in the vehicle.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:57 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Drive both back to back and you will see what you want. The power difference is not that much if you're planning just to driver around. I have a 500 model and rarely i need that much extra power. Do i want a 55? For sure. Would i choose the facelift? probably not. And unless it's gonna be a daily driver - i'd go for the 55. If it's convertible - do you really need the pano roof? The bluetooth it's not that much of a problem nowadays. So your call.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Personally I prefer the MY2009 facelift for better tech, Airscarf and the revised front end. The SL55 was replaced by the SL63 for the facelift. Given all the issues with the M156 engine in the SL63, I'd not buy one. So for me, the SL55 was not an option.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
Same here, meaning SL550. Came out of a 2010 GS Corvette. A little more usable hp but a very different vehicle. SL550 has plenty of hp for me, regular driving. I'm not looking to race. Like the 2011 styling and technology.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 SL550
Thanks for all the feedback! Ghostty, what do you mean that bluetooth is no longer that much of a problem on the earlier models?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
I didn't say earlier models, i said nowadays. You can get a bluetooth speaker that would work just as fine as when connected to the car. Unless you make a lot of phone calls. Obviously it will still be an ad-don somewhere inside the car, so maybe not as pretty. That's why i said whatever you're looking more for. If a daily driver - definitely the 550. if weekend car - can't beat the power
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
While performance is important, the reality is that you won't use the additional power of that SL55 AMG engine as much as you will use the Infotainment system. If you were going to track the car, then maybe , but then you'd probably not buy an SL as it's not a good track car. In everyday driving, the SL550 is just fine. You will have plenty of power to pull out in traffic and pass with authority. Also, since it has the 7-speed where the SL55 has a 5-speed, you might even find that in some gears at some speeds, it's stronger. If you are a stop-light drag racer, the SL550 won't embarrass you, but you aren't going to beat any Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Corvette, BMW M, AMG or even a new bi-turbo xx550 car.

So, regarding the Infotainment system, the NTG 2.5 COMAND in the MY2009+ is a nice big step forward. It has built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling, an SD card slot for music, an internal hard drive for music, a 30pin iPod connector, and a 6-disc DVD changer that can play video (while parked) or music, even MP3's. Basically, you have a lot of capacity and flexibility in how to play music. The one thing it does lack over more modern cars is Bluetooth audio streaming, but that can be fixed with this:

https://coolstreamrocks.com/carpro-b...es-ipod-cable/

If you use an iPhone, the CarPro will stream music stored on it just like a connected iPod with all the abilities to select playlists and display artist/title info on the COMAND screen. If you use a streaming service (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) or any music on an Android phone, then you won't get the artist and title display, but it still streams and you can use the skip buttons on the COMAND or steering wheel.

The navigation system is really no better than the NTG 2.0 COMAND (used form MY2005-MY2008). One nice thing is that it uses an internal hard drive for the maps, so no worries about failing DVD-ROM drives or scratched discs like in the older COMAND systems. It's not a touch screen, and in some ways, it's not as user friendly as NTG 2.0 as it lacks the soft buttons on the sides of the screen. Instead, you have to get around the interface using the D-pad. NTG 2.5 was really designed to use an armrest-mounted clickwheel, but there was not a good place to put that on the SL, so you're stuck with the buttons. As a sidebar, I have often wondered if one could pull a clickwheel from another NTG 2.5 car and get it working in the SL. Someday I might grab one and see. You can also use the Linguitronic (voice control) but it's not very sophisticated as compared to the latest cars. it's about on -par with having your 5-year-old kid in the passenger seat to operate COMAND based on your verbal instructions.

It does have live traffic if you subscribe to that via Sirius. It will even re-route you based on traffic conditions. he caveat is that the Sirius traffic data is limited to the main freeways and highways. They just don't supply data for secondary roads so it might detour you onto a worst route. For this reason, many people prefer to use an app like Waze. It can even give traffic data for parking lots when there is enough traffic there and its routes are based on current traffic data on all roads. This is one reason that the Apple Carplay and Android Auto systems are so popular because they can mirror Waze from your phone to your car's screen. Of course NTG 2.5 does not offer that functionality.

I don't talk on the phone much while driving, but when I need to, having hands-free via Bluetooth is a must. On my CLK with NTG 2.0, I started out with a portable speakerphone unit that I stuck to the A-pillar. It would transmit via FM to the radio, but the mic was bad to pick up road noise and static, and was useless with the top down. I then found an aftermarket module that would emulate the MBZ cell phone kit. It worked quite well except that it did not interface with the car's built-in mic, so it used its own mic, which was not very good. The mics built-into the cars have very good noise cancellation circuitry and are placed for maximum voice reception. Unless I'm driving 80mph down the freeway with the top down, the SL's built-in mic works very well.

I have some music stored on the NTG 2.5 hard drive (downloaded from an SD card) I also have an ancient iPod Video plugged into the 30-pin connector. I have not updated that iPod in years because I hate dealing with iTunes (for various reasons, I'm an anti-Apple person), but I still have a bunch of music on it so it's there when I want it. I don't really use streaming services, so I don't need Bluetooth for that. All of the music I listen to int he car is either on the iPod, the COMAND's hard drive, or Sirius radio on the COMAND. I will use the COMAND navigation for when I need to get to an address around town, but when I travel, I use Waze on my phone. I have one of those windshield arm mounts for my phone.

So, that's my take on the Infotainment system. in case anyone comes across this with a search, I will make two notations. One is that the SD card slot on NTG 2.5 is finicky about what it will read. I have only been able to get it to work with an old 2GB card. none of my newer high-capacity cards work with it. Also, if you want to activate Sirius traffic, this can be challenge because of the lack of skills of the SIrius CSR's. The system uses two different Sirius ESNs - one for the radio, one for the traffic data. Most cars only have one. So, you have to get the CSR to understand this and activate traffic on the alternate ESN. I went through two CRSs and one supervisor before I was able to convince them to use the second ESN for traffic.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Day and night driving experience in 55 and 500
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM

SL 600
It all depends on what you use the car for, I myself is a speedster, have been for the past decade, so i opted for a 600 with a V12 Twin Turbo. if you're just casually driving and like the body style of the SL, then i suggest getting a newer 550, they're great cars, worked on one yesterday at my shop doing motor mounts.

I have a 2005 SL600, and customer's car was a 2009 SL550, speed wise it was nowhere close to my 600, however, creature comforts, ride quality, looks and feel much better than my SL. Very quiet, comfortable cruiser, and about 100x easier to work on and much more reliable as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
Before buying my SL55 I test drove a '07 SL 500 and a '16 SL 400. The driving experience of the SL 500 left me unimpressed. It seemed slow, heavy, and did not handle well. The SL 400 was a totally different animal as it seemed much lighter and definitely more responsive and comfortable. That car had a V-6 and a $45k+ price tag. Once I drove the SL55 I was sold. It drove outstanding, well planted, plenty of power and acceleration, and handled surprisingly well given its weight. Plus I think the looks of the SL is much better than the later facelifted version or the 550/63. But that is just my opinion as looks are in the eyes of the beholder.

The infotainment system is a dinosaur that deserves to be extinct. If you get an '05 or later that is something that can be easily remedied with a new head unit. Mine is an '03 so my only choice is full replacement. I've got a little bluetooth puck hooked up to my AUX port so I can stream music from my phone and get navigation as well. Some people have used those Chinese Android head units but those come with a big caveat emptor.

I've swapped out my pulley for a smaller one, changed out the cooling pump, and got a tune so I am up over 500 HP and 600 TQ. The car gets up and moves. Long trips are a dream as the car is smooth and comfortable and I can get a massage along the way.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
I am personally sooooo happy and 100% satisfied with the power in my 2011 SL550. In my eyes I could never imagine needing more power than this. In fact, I've only had it a couple of months, but it still excitedly surprises me, to this day, when I press a little heavier on the gas.

Sure, I've driven Teslas plenty of times (with and without Ludicrous), and while that feels like an airplane taking off, I don't... need... that? I can get on my sport bikes if I need that rush, which I do 2-3 times a year. I honestly don't even really need the 5.5 liter engine; I would probably have been totally satisfied with the SL350. BUT, with that said, I am glad I got the 550. heh

(Not to mention that I absolutely love the MY2009 facelift; it just looks like a much MUCH newer car to me. Bubble eyes seem so 1998.)

EDIT: The only thing I'm currently not satisfied with my SL550 is the sound, I want it a little louder! So in a week and a half I am doing the seemingly popular "resonator delete", cutting off the two smaller front mufflers and instead welding in straight stainless pipes. I'm going to try to make an honest "Before & After" for that, even though sound is always hard to film at different times and make an honest comparison.

Last edited by xclens; 10-20-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by xclens
I am personally sooooo happy and 100% satisfied with the power in my 2011 SL550. In my eyes I could never imagine needing more power than this. In fact, I've only had it a couple of months, but it still excitedly surprises me, to this day, when I press a little heavier on the gas.

Sure, I've driven Teslas plenty of times (with and without Ludicrous), and while that feels like an airplane taking off, I don't... need... that? I can get on my sport bikes if I need that rush, which I do 2-3 times a year. I honestly don't even really need the 5.5 liter engine; I would probably have been totally satisfied with the SL350. BUT, with that said, I am glad I got the 550. heh

(Not to mention that I absolutely love the MY2009 facelift; it just looks like a much MUCH newer car to me. Bubble eyes seem so 1998.)

EDIT: The only thing I'm currently not satisfied with my SL550 is the sound, I want it a little louder! So in a week and a half I am doing the seemingly popular "resonator delete", cutting off the two smaller front mufflers and instead welding in straight stainless pipes. I'm going to try to make an honest "Before & After" for that, even though sound is always hard to film at different times and make an honest comparison.
Agree completely on the MY2009 facelift and generally about the SL550. Came out of a couple of Corvettes, last one a 2010 GS Corvette. Nice car, lots of power, I added some HRE wheels. But I really like that 'softer' sportiness of the SL and the hardtop convertible. Just love the look of it. All of these things are way beyond anything I need...all about wants at this point. Maybe the ABC and/or roof hydraulics will bite me some day. I changed the fluid/filter when I got it; have not noticed any issues. If I do I'll deal with it then.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
The steering wheel and comand unit on the facelift CLK are almost identical to the 05-08 SL so psychologically speaking I didn't wanna fork over new money for a car that would almost look the same from the drivers perspective on the inside. Not to mention similar headlights on both as well so I wanted that newer factor. In all honesty it was way more important than that extra 130hp and 140 torque, but it really depends on what you're looking for. The SL55 is an amazing vehicle. I have a friend that has a 07 one and it is a great car: Awesome performance, great looks, and loved the exhaust note. One of my favorite Benzes of all time. A friend of mines father had a 09 SL63 and I actually liked the drive and power of the 55 more (that FI torque is great). Long story short, he actually ended up getting a same year pre-owned SL65 once his lease ran out on the 63. The 63 has amazing looks, awesome sound, and killer road presence, but if you're used to a 55, then you definitely notice the difference on the low end.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
--sold Sl55--
I'm dealing with this exact dilemma -- posted on the AMG forum but figure it only makes sense to ask the same question here...

I'm a BMW guy, and this story starts with me -- having driven my E90 for 13 years now -- wanting a fun third car with a V8 growl, and probably preferring something more GT-oriented as opposed to a true sports car (particularly as I think I'm going to be throwing some M3 suspension bits into my 3300lb 3er). I was initially thinking Corvette or Mustang GT (especially the newest generation, which does an ok job at pretending to be a grand tourer). I considered an XK8/R as well. I thought about sticking with 4 doors and finding an E39 M5. But I think I want a droptop/coupe, and R230s check all of the boxes -- as I see it, it is a versatile, refined GT with a muscle car's heart.

I want to spend around $20k. I understand that will just be scratching the surface. I'm very much an amateur DIYer, but a willing one, and I do plan on doing most of the wrenching on our 2 BMWs from here on out. I don't think the R230 is any more difficult to work on (?). It would probably be driven around 4-6k miles a year.

I am torn between a 2005-2008ish SL55 and a slightly newer SL550. It appears that there isn't a great difference in reliability and running costs between the two as it seems that both the M113 and M273 -- and their associated transmissions -- are solid? I honestly don't need 500hp (who does), but there is definitely an emotional appeal to owning what I feel is a modern classic.

Big question: should I be dissauded by these BCM fire issues that I'm seeing popping up on here (seemingly with great frequency recently?).

And would anyone mind comparing the 5-speed transmission in the AMG vs the 7-speed in the later 500 and 550 models as far as responsiveness in manual mode? My E90 is 3 pedals and I'm used to having some control over my gears...

Last edited by 850csi; 12-17-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Just a few comments...maintenance on the SL55 AMG will be slightly higher, most in brakes. Both cars eat tires (especially rears). The SL55 AMG is more powerful than the SL550, and has an AMG suspension tune. If you go for the SL550, I'd not get anything prior to MY2009. The M273 engine prior to MY2008 can have a problem with the timing chain idler sprocket (search "balance shaft" on the forum for details). Also, the 7-speed transmissions prior to then tended to be more problematic. Of course the MY2009 was the facelift that revised the front end, and some people are polarized over that styling. Also, the MY2009+ COMAND unit is slightly better, with built-in Bluetooth hands-free plus iPod interface (that can be used for Bluetooth streaming, with a CarPro adapter). It also adds the option or AirScarf (heated headrests). Neither will be better or worse than the other in terms of other maintenance concerns (ABC, vario roof, electronics, etc.) There was a revision to ABV for MY2007 and again in My2009, but it remains to be seen if either will affect its reliability.
The following users liked this post:
850csi (12-18-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 PM

--sold Sl55--
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Just a few comments...maintenance on the SL55 AMG will be slightly higher, most in brakes. Both cars eat tires (especially rears). The SL55 AMG is more powerful than the SL550, and has an AMG suspension tune. If you go for the SL550, I'd not get anything prior to MY2009. The M273 engine prior to MY2008 can have a problem with the timing chain idler sprocket (search "balance shaft" on the forum for details). Also, the 7-speed transmissions prior to then tended to be more problematic. Of course the MY2009 was the facelift that revised the front end, and some people are polarized over that styling. Also, the MY2009+ COMAND unit is slightly better, with built-in Bluetooth hands-free plus iPod interface (that can be used for Bluetooth streaming, with a CarPro adapter). It also adds the option or AirScarf (heated headrests). Neither will be better or worse than the other in terms of other maintenance concerns (ABC, vario roof, electronics, etc.) There was a revision to ABV for MY2007 and again in My2009, but it remains to be seen if either will affect its reliability.
Thanks, Rodney, I appreciate it. So it sounds like if I decide on a non-AMG model, either a -500 or a post-facelift (2009+) -550 are the way to go (and generally not the 07/08 -550s)?

It's funny you mention the difference in styling because I keep going back and forth over it and I think I actually like the old[er] school 'bubble lights' more -- having grown up around these cars, they just feel a little truer to the R230 bodystyle and that era of MB cars to me. The 2009+s do look so much newer, though.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, I would avoid the MY2007 SL550 as it might have sprocket failure, and more transmission issues. The MY2008 will beyond the sprocket failure problem range, but 50/50 on the transmission issues. by MY2009, all was good for both.

I've have enough "bubble" headlight cars that I was ready for something different. Personally, I think the MY2009+ facelift front end looks more aggressive. Bur like I said, that is a personal preference. One thing I did like about the MY2009+ was the updated COMAND system. I don't make a habit of talking on the phone while driving, but I do work for myself, and I want to be responsive to my clients, so having integrated hands-free calling is a big plus for me. And one thing I really didn't think would be a big deal is the Airscarf. I've never been a big heated seat user. I just don't like my butt warmed. But the heat on my neck on a cool day - even with the top closed - is nice.
850csi (12-18-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by 850csi
So it sounds like if I decide on a non-AMG model, either a -500 or a post-facelift (2009+) -550 are the way to go (and generally not the 07/08 -550s)?
I strongly disagree.

On the Benzworld forum there is a moderator who goes by "MAVA". His experience repairing Mercedes transmissions is extensive, and his in-depth knowledge seems to be unsurpassed.

I believe MAVA has written that the '04-'05 model years should perhaps be passed on due to the transmission, but other years are fine. And if you search he forum, I think you'll find transmission problems are not on the top of owner's list of worries. So I believe you do yourself a disservice by overlooking later '07s and all '08s. If you think I may be mistaken, I encourage you to join Benzworld and contact MAVA.
850csi (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 AM

--sold Sl55--
Thanks for that additional bit of information -- will definitely do some more searching.

To be totally honest, I am having second thoughts about an R230 -- principally due to the BCM and the possibility of random brake failure with the SBC issues. I am just not willing to put my or someone I love's life in danger with the possibility of moving 80mph and suddenly having no brakes. Or having the trunk randomly catch fire for no apparent reason.

I want a hardtop convertible V8... someone tell me these issues can be mitigated and that I need not start looking for an E92 M3!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
To be totally honest, I am having second thoughts about an R230 -- principally due to the BCM and the possibility of random brake failure with the SBC issues.
If you glance at my profile, you'll see I have been on this forum for a dozen odd years. I'm in my 13th year of owning the same reliable '03 R230. In my time here and on the Benzworld forum problems with SBC are practically unheard of, and perhaps the number of cars with BCM fires worldwide could be counted on the fingers of your two hands (though I have not researched the issue at all). I believe there are reasons one might pass on an R230, but BCM and SBC should not be included among them.

That said, I am on the lookout for the very same vehicles as you are considering as well as an early SL600. So if you were to drop your R230 search, that's one less shopper in competition with me!

Last edited by bobterry99; 12-19-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:01 PM

SL 600
Thanks for that additional bit of information -- will definitely do some more searching.

To be totally honest, I am having second thoughts about an R230 -- principally due to the BCM and the possibility of random brake failure with the SBC issues. I am just not willing to put my or someone I love's life in danger with the possibility of moving 80mph and suddenly having no brakes. Or having the trunk randomly catch fire for no apparent reason.

I want a hardtop convertible V8... someone tell me these issues can be mitigated and that I need not start looking for an E92 M3!

You won't find a car that looks as good as the R230, with the speed to back it up. E92 looks good in a coupe, the convertible doesn't look right.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:20 PM

--sold Sl55--
Originally Posted by FxFormat
You won't find a car that looks as good as the R230, with the speed to back it up. E92 looks good in a coupe, the convertible doesn't look right.
I completely agree, and an SL55 is exactly what I want, but the possibility of suddenly losing my brakes scares the **** out of me. Like what if my wife was driving and something happened to her? Am I overreacting here?
Old 12-19-2018, 04:24 PM

SL 600

I completely agree, and an SL55 is exactly what I want, but the possibility of suddenly losing my brakes scares the **** out of me. Like what if my wife was driving and something happened to her? Am I overreacting here?

You wouldn't completely lose your brakes, you'd lose a lot of it but you'd still be able to stop the vehicle with more pedal pressure. SBC warranty has been extended to 25 years so you won't be paying for that repair. You "should" get a message that the brake actuation has reached its limit before it stops working.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Older SL55 vs new SL550?