MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: ABC SUSPENSION LEAK (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/730255-abc-suspension-leak.html)

Juma Albahar 12-15-2018 09:50 AM

ABC SUSPENSION LEAK

Hello guys

I have a SL550 2009 model with a problem with front and rear suspension strut (ABC), where there is an oil leak and the cost of replacing it is very high. Can it be repaired or replaced with a normal suspension?

Your feedback will be appreciated
Thanks

rustybear3 12-15-2018 10:19 AM

Changing over to a coiled suspension can be done. Strutmasters is a good source for the do-it-yourself. Otherwise, you should be able to get it installed professionally.

Don't know if there is a kit for your model car though.

bobterry99 12-15-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Juma Albahar (Post 7630432)
...where there is an oil leak and the cost of replacing it is very high.

The cost should not be high. I advise you to either:
  1. Find another mechanic.
  2. Take charge of repair matters yourself as many on this forum have done.
  3. Sell this '09 and purchase a car that you can afford to own.
I owned an E500 with a Strutmasters suspension retrofitted. The ride and handling were degraded, and it squeaked horribly.

FxFormat 12-15-2018 04:52 PM

Bob is harsh but speaks the truth, before i bought my SL600 i knew exactly what i was getting myself into, you only own an R230 if one of two applies, you have a crap ton of money, or you can do the repairs yourself. If you don't fall into either category, then get a Lexus.

The struts will you run about $500 each for an Arnott unit, find a shop that can install this and have SDS to rodeo afterwards. Converting to traditional suspension will cost a lot of money for parts, and install, and won't ride the same.

m5zealot 12-16-2018 06:00 PM

Bob is absolutely correct. Having wife and/or kids will also hamper your used SL experience for sure. I'm single and still cringe when working on my SL or paying someone else when I can't. It's so disappointing a newer SL like your's is already leaking ABC fluid. My '06 SL 55 had a hose and all 4 pressure accumulators fail at the same time @85K miles. This is a car that has been dealer serviced since day one. (I'm the second owner) I love the SL 55 but could not afford a new one back in the day. Being in a better financial situation, I set aside $10K for preventive maintenance and I have exceeded that by $1,400.00 in my almost two years of ownership. I had entire ABC system and SBC replaced because I knew those were the most expensive items to fail but, I didn't think so soon with such low miles. Did the engineers really designed these systems to last the life of the car? Not really. :smash: (I did get my refund check from MBZ for the recent SBC work though!)

See my previous post if you really want to know where the $10K+ has gone. I'm still smiling and loving every second of driving her but, there is still a long list of things that will fail soon like the shocks. Not replacing them will probably cause them to fail sooner since the rest of the system is new. :nix: I'm starting to look for another mistress unfortunately. Here is a helpful link to better understand your expensive undertaking. If you love your car and won't part with it for any reason, be prepared to invest $10K-15K to get the same enjoyment the previous owner had when it was new. WIth that said, paying just over $26K for mine with the P30 Performance Pack was still a bargain compared to MSRP! These newer and more complicated Mercedes just don't last as long as the older models like my 300TD that clocked 437K miles without a hiccup! Good luck.

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...4b53d061a8.jpg

m5zealot 12-16-2018 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7630575)
The cost should not be high. I advise you to either:
  1. Find another mechanic.
  2. Take charge of repair matters yourself as many on this forum have done.
  3. Sell this '09 and purchase a car that you can afford to own.
I owned an E500 with a Strutmasters suspension retrofitted. The ride and handling were degraded, and it squeaked horribly.

I drove an SL 500 with a deleted ABC and conventional suspension in its place. Even with anti roll bars, the car rode and handled horribly IMO. The ABC system is a very elegant and important part of the SL's engineering. If I had to be without this system for any reason, I would get rid of her and be done with it. The only car out there car I think off with a similar "newer tech" and reliable hydraulic suspension is a Mclaren 720S. Have you priced one of those lately?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7fc49769ec.jpg

850csi 12-19-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by m5zealot (Post 7631470)
My '06 SL 55 had a hose and all 4 pressure accumulators fail at the same time @85K miles. This is a car that has been dealer serviced since day one. (I'm the second owner) I love the SL 55 but could not afford a new one back in the day. Being in a better financial situation, I set aside $10K for preventive maintenance and I have exceeded that by $1,400.00 in my almost two years of ownership. I had entire ABC system and SBC replaced because I knew those were the most expensive items to fail...

Is $12k in 2 years typical or do you think yours has been particularly expensive?

kbob999 12-19-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by 850csi (Post 7633839)
Is $12k in 2 years typical or do you think yours has been particularly expensive?

If you take it to a dealer every time you need help, budget $5K/year. Same at an Indy, budget $3K/year.
DIY, budget $1.5K/year and plan on half of that being tires.

Example: I've had my 2003 SL55 with 94K miles, for 4 years and 10K miles, all DIY, and have spent $5700. Half of that was in upgrades and preventative maintenance to make it reliable, and faster!
There are many 'known' problems with the R230 and if you address them before they fail then life is much better for reliability and enjoyment.
Your mileage may vary, etc.

bobterry99 12-19-2018 11:45 AM

Is $12k in 2 years typical...

Well, the owner you are responding to replaced SBC and ABC complete at 85K miles. That is decidedly atypical.

In 12+ years I have driven 25K miles and spent about $600 on repairs. Current mileage is 50K.

m5zealot 12-20-2018 07:24 PM

I guess not really. I do daily drive my SL 55. I do come from BMW - an M5 I bought new in 1987. The M5 never stranded me the last 30 years. Comparison is not really fair but if you do......the M5 has been much more robust and reliable than the SL for sure. Expensive? ...is a relative term. $12K is pocket change to some, and a King's ransom to others. I'm in between.

FxFormat 12-20-2018 08:49 PM

$12K is what i paid for my 2005 SL600

tripacer1 04-21-2019 10:44 PM

Leaking abc

Where can I find oem part numbers for 2003 sl55amg abc hydraulic lines?

tripacer1 04-21-2019 10:49 PM

I have a line leaking from the front axle valve unit. it’s the in high pressure line. Looking for a compression fitting
anybody know where to get one I assume it’s a metric size?

Arizona Mike 04-21-2019 10:51 PM

I think Pelican Auto Parts lists the OEM part numbers. Good Luck.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
"...Back to the wall goes Berra, it is...over the fence, home run, the Pirates win!!"

imtheking 04-22-2019 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by m5zealot (Post 7631512)
I drove an SL 500 with a deleted ABC and conventional suspension in its place. Even with anti roll bars, the car rode and handled horribly IMO. The ABC system is a very elegant and important part of the SL's engineering. If I had to be without this system for any reason, I would get rid of her and be done with it. The only car out there car I think off with a similar "newer tech" and reliable hydraulic suspension is a Mclaren 720S. Have you priced one of those lately?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...7fc49769ec.jpg

Interesting- here I am trying to get sway bars installed on my 03 and I see this post about the ride quality still being crap.

To the original author of this thread, stay the hell away from coilovers. I bought a 03 SL with Strutmasters already installed and I hate my life. I don't even feel secure- ride quality is crap. Almost tempted to spend $3k-4k and put the original suspension back on. (I bought the car unseen and had it shipped from NC)

I don't know much about the cost for ABC lines etc...but I do know that an aftermarket PS pump can be bought on Ebay for $300-$400. And if you send in your core, you can replace the struts with Arnott for $500 per strut. (I paid $700 for parts and labor on my S500 to replace one strut).

Sl600kd 04-23-2019 11:27 AM

tripacer1 best place for a new hydraulic hose is a hydraulic shop, they know alot about industrial/ high psi hydraulic systems, and can teach alot about plumbing constraints and what hose last longest and most durable in all weather conditions.
so they can make a whole new hose or repair a section. they repaired a section on mine about 8-6 months ago for 50$, top off with chf-11s, haven't had a issue with the abc since. (also you can only use steel compression fittings & make sure you have around 3 inches straight pipe on both sides where you use the compression fitting)

its funny we have a similar suspension as a 720s but doesn't handles as good as it, i guess that's another reason that 1000lbs hurt our cars performance

yeah abc might be expensive to maintain but cant see myself changing it out for some simple coil overs, height adjusting was a main sellling point for me thats some expensive aftermarket stuff or some well built supercar stuff

tripacer1 04-23-2019 01:23 PM

Ok it's a 10 mm compression fitting correct

It's a 10 mm compression fitting correct?
Also what type hose that's compatible with chf11s

Sl600kd 04-24-2019 12:59 AM

yeah i think 10mm fits the metal piping, and most of the (rubber reinforced) hoses works with chf11s (its just oil really) but at a high pressure, i used a recommend 5000 psi combination (compression fitting,rubber hose,hose clamp welded to metal pipe)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...aa5942cfd4.jpg
old hose replaced by new (top)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e2156e1c31.jpg
wrapped around tub thing
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...efa5dbc481.jpg
full assembly