SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Having trouble with Seicane radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Having trouble with Seicane radio

Hey guys, I'm working on a friend's 2003 SL5000. He wanted to put in a Seicane radio, and I got everything working except the AM/FM reception.

I want to use the stock antenna system, but I'm a bit confused. Read some posts about an "audio gateway," the antenna amplifier module, can't seem to find any of these. The Seicane unit came with a "long radio cable" that seemed to plug into a small coax behind the head unit, but I'm now thinking that was the GPS antenna (and of course, radio didn't work).

So asking you guys for help. I'm thiking I splice the long radio cable's blue wire into power (not the antenna turn-on coming out the back, as I think that's not enough power), then run the coax end to somewhere in the back of the car where the audio gateway or whatever is. Am I right? If so, can somebody give me more precise directions on where to find and hook these all up?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 SL500
I can't answer your question, but I want to do the same swap. Is the subwoofer working properly? I've heard that the kit bypasses the sub driver in the amp. Is this true? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
There was another post where a user couldn't get radio reception to perform properly. Could be a weak point with these units.

Also, I believe that the units do bypass the amp and uses the built-in amplifier.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:46 PM

2003 SL500
I bypassed the Bose amp and installed a 5-channel unit. What I ended up doing is driving the front tweeters through amp channels 1/2, front midrange through amp channels 3/4, sub through amp channel 5, and rear fill directly from the head unit. Tuned the amp, adjusted fade a little bit and it sounds great. Sub works great. No need for center channel/front fill.

You should drive as many speakers as you can through a decent amp, this head unit sucks other than (1) Android, and (2) OEM look.

A local shop advised me that the long radio cable is meant to go to somewhere in the back of the vehicle, presumably to get a signal from the audio gateway, dunno. They weren't too clear on that. They plugged in a very long, non-power antenna and FM started working so it just needs a good antenna. If anybody can recommend one, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
Originally Posted by insightbrewery
I bypassed the Bose amp and installed a 5-channel unit. What I ended up doing is driving the front tweeters through amp channels 1/2, front midrange through amp channels 3/4, sub through amp channel 5, and rear fill directly from the head unit. Tuned the amp, adjusted fade a little bit and it sounds great. Sub works great. No need for center channel/front fill.

You should drive as many speakers as you can through a decent amp, this head unit sucks other than (1) Android, and (2) OEM look.

A local shop advised me that the long radio cable is meant to go to somewhere in the back of the vehicle, presumably to get a signal from the audio gateway, dunno. They weren't too clear on that. They plugged in a very long, non-power antenna and FM started working so it just needs a good antenna. If anybody can recommend one, I'd appreciate it.
Once you go to this trouble of getting a separate 5-channel amp I think you would be best to just go ahead with a US market head unit like a Pioneer. Then the only issue becomes getting a custom surround made. The '05+ models are easier to do than the '03/'04 models because the stereo surround and cup holders are different.

I did similar to my '05 Porsche where I put in a Pioneer double-din touch screen and 5-channel amp to the stock Bose speakers. I also got a backup camera as a bonus.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 PM

2003 SL500
Originally Posted by 57staff
Once you go to this trouble of getting a separate 5-channel amp I think you would be best to just go ahead with a US market head unit like a Pioneer. Then the only issue becomes getting a custom surround made. The '05+ models are easier to do than the '03/'04 models because the stereo surround and cup holders are different.

I did similar to my '05 Porsche where I put in a Pioneer double-din touch screen and 5-channel amp to the stock Bose speakers. I also got a backup camera as a bonus.
If it was my own car, I would...just trying to help out my friend, he really only likes that it looks stock. It's been a massive PitA.

Anybody can tell me where the audio gateway/tuner module is? And how to get to it/what panels to remove? I've looked at parts diagrams and it's not clear, it's not anywhere near where the amp was.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 SL500
I have a router.... I wonder where he got the jig from? He said it's the biggest one they have and it matches pretty good.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sl500
Same problem here.
Bad FM reception.
No problem with the original unit.
Thought inserting power in the connector for the ant amp would solve the problem, but no.
Ordered a DAB set, hope this will work.
Bigest problem was the sound quality of the original Bose speakers, after exchanging the Bose power amp for a 5 channel Kenwood amp.
Had to exchange all speakers to get good sound.
Seems the Bose amp had an equalizer integrated for solving nonlinearities of the original speakers.
Without that, the original speakers sound like rubbish.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:21 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, that is a common result when using the Bose speakers without their special equalization. Their speakers are nothing special - it's all in the electronics. The later Harmon-Kardon systems used much better speakers.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
350 SL, R230 - 300 SL, R129 - 1964 Corvette Sting Ray Sport Coupe - Porsche 911 Twin Turbo (sold)
Any tried the DAB plus adapter on these Seicane radioes?
Asking since you can only listen to local radio stations in my country

For all major radio channels you need DAB here in this country