MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Convenience features temporarily available (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/733183-convenience-features-temporarily-available.html)

Eric79 01-16-2019 06:43 PM

Convenience features temporarily available

Hey Guys,

My 2007 SL550 has been giving me this message if I don't drive the car for 3 or more days - convenience features temporarily UNavailable. After about 5 miles it goes away. It started happening since it got cold. No problem with the engine battery.
Do you think I need a new AUX battery? Both batteries were purchases from the dealer in 2015.

Thanks !

BlownV8 01-16-2019 06:54 PM

Probably your alarm draining the battery. Very common problem.

Rudeney 01-16-2019 08:07 PM

Another possible culprit for draining the battery is the PSE pump. Leaks in the trunk latch can cause it to run continuously. Also, the high demands of the R230's electrical system can drain a weak battery after a few days of sitting.

Frederick NL 01-17-2019 05:04 AM

You meant UNavailable

Rudeney 01-17-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7656462)
You meant UNavailable

Well, by definition, if they are "temporarily unavailable", wouldn't they also be "temporarily available"? :p:

Das Geld 2 01-17-2019 11:20 AM

Battery might be going plus they decharge after sitting. I drive once a week or every 2 weeks and don't always leave the tender on...levels drop from 12.10 to 11.40.."im probably killing it prematurely.

Eric79 01-17-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7656462)
You meant UNavailable

LOL!! yes I did.

ray0214 01-17-2019 12:04 PM

Consumer battery

most likely a weak consumer battery. 3 years is about average for battery failures. Have load test done on consumer battery

rnaidu 01-17-2019 12:21 PM

I have a 2008 SL550 (16600 original miles) that is not driven often. I notice that if you don't drive the car often, the battery drains, and you get that message. I service the car regularly, and use a Mercedes battery tender to keep the batteries charged. Any modern garage queen needs a battery tender to keep the battery charged and systems up.

Eric79 01-17-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rnaidu (Post 7656765)
I have a 2008 SL550 (16600 original miles) that is not driven often. I notice that if you don't drive the car often, the battery drains, and you get that message. I service the car regularly, and use a Mercedes battery tender to keep the batteries charged. Any modern garage queen needs a battery tender to keep the battery charged and systems up.

May I ask which battery tender you use? There's a ton of them on the market.

Frederick NL 01-17-2019 01:09 PM

Many on this forum use a ctek.

pfarah77 01-19-2019 06:05 PM

Just got mine yesterday! Ctek MUS 4.3
This model has a ridiculous 8 step battery conditioning process that may take a couple of days. It will "float" once the battery is fully charged, while monitoring for any loss.

The dash did light up that yellow triangle error but I think that was due to the negative battery lead being temporarily disconnected while I secured the eyelet leads (charger) on to the battery/chassis. I read that the error goes away once the car is driven but I'm not sure at this point. It's snowing and she's not going anywhere for a while.

Rudeney 01-19-2019 10:48 PM

Sometimes disconnecting the battery can erase the steering angle position sensor's synchronization. The message on the MFD is usually "ESP unavailable" If that happens, just start the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times until the error clears.

Frederick NL 01-20-2019 03:35 AM

This is an advice that periodically shows up on this and other forums. I have always wondered: should I be worried about my tires, steering mechanism, concrete floor?

pfarah77 01-20-2019 08:21 AM

Groovy! I'll let you know in April:hammer:

Eric79 01-20-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pfarah77 (Post 7658693)
Just got mine yesterday! Ctek MUS 4.3
This model has a ridiculous 8 step battery conditioning process that may take a couple of days. It will "float" once the battery is fully charged, while monitoring for any loss.

The dash did light up that yellow triangle error but I think that was due to the negative battery lead being temporarily disconnected while I secured the eyelet leads (charger) on to the battery/chassis. I read that the error goes away once the car is driven but I'm not sure at this point. It's snowing and she's not going anywhere for a while.

Where did you buy yours?

Rudeney 01-20-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7658948)
This is an advice that periodically shows up on this and other forums. I have always wondered: should I be worried about my tires, steering mechanism, concrete floor?

DO you mean should you be worried about turning the steering wheel lock to lock while the tires are still on a concrete floor? I wouldn't. I will scrub the tires, but it's a microscopic amount. The steering system is strong enough to handle this. I guess if you were really concerned, you could lift the front end or wet down the driveway.

pfarah77 01-20-2019 11:12 AM

Eric,
Here you go. I found them online and it only took a few days shipping.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...1f1017ccbf.jpg

BrianA. 02-02-2019 04:49 PM

I have the same message appearing frequently on my '07 SL550. I cleaned all of the battery terminals, charged the accessory battery, hooked up a volt meter and both batteries read over 12v.
when the engine is running they show a little over 14v which means the batteries are getting charged, but the message still appears. When it appears I cannot use the heated seats or lower the top. I have had problems with the PSE pump and have epoxied the holes, but it still dies until I disconnect the accessory battery then reconnect.

By the way, if you disconnect your accessory battery, you are supposed to turn your steering wheel all the way left then all the way right, and also roll all 4 windows up down and up to reset them.

Brian A.

Eric79 02-02-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BrianA. (Post 7671128)
I have the same message appearing frequently on my '07 SL550. I cleaned all of the battery terminals, charged the accessory battery, hooked up a volt meter and both batteries read over 12v.
when the engine is running they show a little over 14v which means the batteries are getting charged, but the message still appears. When it appears I cannot use the heated seats or lower the top. I have had problems with the PSE pump and have epoxied the holes, but it still dies until I disconnect the accessory battery then reconnect.

By the way, if you disconnect your accessory battery, you are supposed to turn your steering wheel all the way left then all the way right, and also roll all 4 windows up down and up to reset them.

Brian A.

Mine started as soon as it got cold. So. Cal does get very cold sometimes.
Since I bought the CTEK battery tender I haven't had any problems. You should look into getting one as they are very cool. I paid 69$

BrianA. 02-02-2019 05:14 PM

Eric, I live in Las Vegas and it's been cold here as well. My SL is a daily driver, but going to work only takes 15-20 min. Lately I have had to have the lights on going to work and returning. I got my battery from Sears, always been a fan of Die-Hard, I hope they are in business long enough to honor the warranty.

I'll try the CTEK tender, thank you for the suggestion.

Brian A.

ray0214 02-02-2019 06:40 PM

Sears battery warranty

Local sears says they are trying to close by March 23

BrianA. 03-11-2019 06:36 PM

So another problem has come to light. I haven't installed the Battery Tender, and the "no accessories available" warning has been appearing daily. I went to get a smog test on it and it failed. The guy running the test asked if I had disconnected the battery lately, as it will have to run several hours to reset those circuits. I'm taking it in for a test of the charging system tomorrow and possibly a new accessory battery.

Brian A.