MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Jumped from V4 to V19 maps on NTG1 (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/737975-jumped-v4-v19-maps-ntg1.html)

Frederick NL 03-07-2019 03:49 PM

Jumped from V4 to V19 maps on NTG1

I hope this thread can be of help to those who are as confused as I still am, about updating NTG1 nav maps in our R230’s. The circulating do’s and dont’s are just as dazzling as the can do’s and no can do’s. Amidst my own confusion I decided to go for the bluntest route, so far with apparent success. I am talking W-European maps.
I bought my 2005 R230 with the original V4 maps still in it. MB states that it no longer supports the map format used in the R230. The text on their green label dvd’s specifically states “no longer suitable for R230”.
I spent lots of time reading whatever I could find in Dutch, German, French and English, including the American dialect ;-)
-MB says it’s over, nothing to be had beyond V12.
-on a German forum, several members said they had had no trouble whatsoever jumping from V4, V5 to V18, V19. Other Germans struggled with frozen nav’s after they had tried just that (probably with copies)
-a dealer was not prepared to let me have a try with a V19 dvd, because they’d have to break its seal
-the dealer said firmware had come (past tense) with certain map versions and that they couldn’t give or sell me firmware, more recent than mine
-an English site cites you can jump from low map versions like mine to V19, once you load V12 first, as V12 brings along essential firmware (hence, via the trunk player, that is).
-there’s German info that firmware is to be loaded via the head unit cd/dvd slot and not via the trunk. Videos instruct to press 1-3-8 on the head unit, or other codes, to open a menu for this. Non of the codes mentioned had any effect on my unit. Looks like MB fancied having their NTG1’s built and coded differently over their various car models.
-no firmware update for the R230/NTG1 is to be found on an MB download site (as opposed to other car models).
Driving around with 2004 maps is no joy so I decided to give jumping straight to V19 a try, apparently risking a freeze. Given MB’s unwillingness to help I felt no hesitation ordering a copy from the internet. Started the engine, pressed ‘nav’ and exchanged the dvd’s. Success was mine within one or two minutes. But the blissful happiness was short lived, because sure enough after reaching one destination (in the real) the screen coldly stated ‘no dvd’. Putting back the old disc didn’t change that.
Never thought much of the assumption that a poor copy might brick up the system permanently. Briefly pulling fuse 59 fixed a reset sure enough. Going practical, I asked a computer repair shop to burn me a max quality copy of my copy, on a max quality disc. That seems to have done the trick. I reached a few destinations in the real and made the system calculate several routes, to house number level destinations, thousands of km’s away. So far, all is well.
I know I am running old firmware, because the arrival time still hides behind the touch of the ‘info’ soft-button (later firmware shows arrival time on the map, as it should). I did already have birds eye view.
Will report back how things go. For now, can’t express my relief - for now. We’ll be hitting Switzerland this summer, hopefully without the need for a suction cup phone mount.

kbob999 03-08-2019 08:21 AM

Looks like NTG1 North America ends at V16. Curious if this applies or is required for North America.

gaazmon 03-09-2019 03:19 PM

Don't buy copies. Make sure you get the original discs. I've never had luck with copies in both NTG1 and NTG2 vehicles. I noticed on copies the current position of the vehicle was lagging behind a second as well. POIs would not all load and sometimes the system would reset. I rather fork over extra change for the real thing used than a new copy.

Schundg 03-09-2019 03:38 PM

Withdrawn

TheSaint 03-09-2019 04:14 PM

DELETED

Frederick NL 03-09-2019 05:50 PM

Well, the Germans have established it, seeing this translation of mine of a statement on their forum. MB states otherwise on their sites and products, ánd MB is sort of just around the corner when you’re in Germany. I can see a dilemma...

“Hello SL driver,
the thread can be closed.
NTG1 DVD Comand Aps Europe v19-2018-2019
PART N: A2118270901
works in the NTG1 of the SL without problems.
The maps are updated and include some new roads and roundabouts that were previously not included in the V17.
Thanks for the feedback.”

Frederick NL 06-12-2019 12:43 PM

Sofar, the nav has been working flawlessly. Puzzling why MB says you can’t load a current dvd. :confused:

Dhunch22 06-12-2019 04:24 PM

ummm, how does one find out what version of the NAV is loaded and where can one get an upgrade disc if it is needed? located in USA.
thank you!

Frederick NL 06-15-2019 04:16 AM

If you have a nav-dvd drive in the trunk you should be able to simply read the label on the dvd.

Frederick NL 07-17-2019 03:50 PM

We carted through four countries, went through minor roads and even tracks, totaling a few thousand km’s, and our 2005 NTG1 with 2018-19 map dvd worked as it should. Only on the very last day of our holiday, at the start of a 560 km trip home, the system stalled. Pulling the proper fuse behind the seat did the trick and of we went.
The pleasant lady voice (a former Dutch newscaster) directed us into an abyss every time we drove past a small hairpin track, that probably was a problem with tracks seemingly intersecting but at (very) different heights. Digitizing maps in Switzerland requires lots of scrutiny...
Why the set suddenly stalls is beyond me. Any ideas?

Aozeren 04-13-2020 07:31 PM

HU Version ?

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7701413)
Well, the Germans have established it, seeing this translation of mine of a statement on their forum. MB states otherwise on their sites and products, ánd MB is sort of just around the corner when you’re in Germany. I can see a dilemma...

“Hello SL driver,
the thread can be closed.
NTG1 DVD Comand Aps Europe v19-2018-2019
PART N: A2118270901
works in the NTG1 of the SL without problems.
The maps are updated and include some new roads and roundabouts that were previously not included in the V17.
Thanks for the feedback.”

Hi Frederick,
What is your HU firmware now? Are you using 13 or 15 ?

TheSaint 04-14-2020 12:37 PM

Frederick NL. Do you have the old or new type comand like on picture on top or the one on the picture below?

Is the one on the top picture a NTG1 and the later type comand on the picture below a NTG2?

Early type Comand
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5435f72b46.jpg

Updated type Comand
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...a383df5ff4.jpg

m60kaf 05-02-2021 02:46 PM

Adding some late info after I have actually updated to v19

-