MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: 2003- 2004 COMAND System LCD polarized film (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/738556-2003-2004-comand-system-lcd-polarized-film.html)

Ron Martin 03-13-2019 05:07 PM

2003- 2004 COMAND System LCD polarized film

Guys,

Wonder IF anyone has considered or tried to replace the polarized film on the early R230 COMAND screens ?
As I mentioned, I had a well meaning detailer VERY badly gouge my COMAND screen.
Then, I read and tried the various remedies reported on our site - including attempting to polish the deep scratches / gouges out of the film covering with no results.. I then started trying to carefully remove the top layers of film from the unit and learned that - after removing the top two layers of film the systems images disappear and the screen (full of residue) became bleak and opaque with NO images !
This AM while driving errands while wearing my polarized sunglasses I noticed images were suddenly legible !! Since I have studied the layer composition of the polarized LCD layer(s) schematic and there are about 6 layers of film in these systems ..

Hence I am wondering IF obtaining a ACT polarized film sheet, REALLY cleaning the current film layer and attaching a new layer of POLARIZED film .that I can rescue my old known COMAND system and avoid major surgery and or switching components... since I love my vintage Bose audio acoustics package.

I know this might appear to be a science experiment but... I HAD to ask !
Plus IF it works .. it might offer a lot of us with the old systems a possible cure for the screens.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Martin 04-18-2019 05:52 PM

R 230 COMAND Audio Control Head SCREEN REPAIR

Hey Guys,

As followup to my POLARIZED film "science project" ..
After reading scads of other remedies in dealing with the severe scratches / gouges in early (2003) COMAND screens and what others with LCD TV screen damages did to repair their LCD screens, I used rubbing alcohol and a sharp safety razor blade to carefully and COMPLETELY clean the old film from the GLASS screen on my old COMAND screen (DOWN TO THE BARE GLASS) !
Once the old polarized film is removed and the glass cleaned ....there are NO IMAGES projected on the screen - as it will be completely white blank !

I ordered a 6 "x 10" sheet of POLARIZED FILM from POLARIZATION.COM in Shavano Park, Texas for $24.00 plus $7.00 tax..
I then pealed the top protective mask from the sheet and oriented the sheet 45 degrees - to the lateral and vertical view to optimize the POLARITY best image and then measured and cut the new replacement film. There is enough film for two attempts (Be use and cut slightly larger replacement sheet than the original size of 3"X 4") to be able to slide the excess edges under the screens bordering bezel. Then I merely slid and placed it into the area.. I DID NOT PEAL THE ADHESIVE SIDE - AS IT WAS NOT NECESSARY and stays in place.. However If you wish to peal the adhesive and CAREFULLY start on one side , then work the film over the rest of the surface it might be better.... but I am very happy with my result :-)..

NOTE .. I considered - either buying a replacement COMAND system from E- BAY or even a larger Chinese SEICANE replacement with the better screen and more options .. However I did not want to replace my amplifier and invite speaker issues - since Bosch and Bose collaborated to engineer a superior sound system and acoustics in our R 230 passenger cavity..
(Also since I am the original owner and know what care my car has had .. I had rather stay original... JMHO)

Hope this info is useful ..

Ron