MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: how much are dealers charging for extra key fob? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/738782-how-much-dealers-charging-extra-key-fob.html)

Dudeman 01-25-2020 11:52 PM

I have a KeylessGo system, but the $580 price tag helped me decide on a standard key instead for $300. I had to make 2 trips, one to order it, so they can verify my ownership of the car, and another to pick it up. They simply refused to mail it to me. It was from the parts department, and the only thing they did was to come to the car and verify the key functionality. No programming just testing the key opens everything up, starts the car and that the mechanical key can open the door and trunk.

So, at least I have a spare key in case I need one. It may not be KeylessGo, but it works just fine otherwise.

pmercury 01-26-2020 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7963543)
I have heard that most dealers are now NOT selling keys through the parts department. They are REQUIRING a service visit to "program" the key. So in addition paying ~$250 for standard key or ~$350 for a KeylessGo key, you now have to pay another $100 or more for a service visit. What aggravates me is that if all you do is order an extra key that does not lock-out a lost key, and it;s no KeylessGo, no programming is needed - it works out of the box. If you do need to lock-out a key, then yes, they have to hookup to SDS and determine which key track to order. For KeylessGo, it does require SDS programming.

Thx Rudeney
I remember I had just the Keytrack and VIN programmed, then need to add the key
that saved me 150$ adaptation on the car
They really didn't like my request and had me sign a "on my own risk" paper as I asked a Keyless go key on a non Keyless go car

Normally they don't want to fill in a part form, they put your VIN in EPC and click "order key" whatever latest Part Number and your VDOK is set to in terms of options

But as you know, Dealers differ from Country to State. just read around from Expensive to Scammers to Ripoffs.

Just my latest example: I ordered the wrong BOSCH brake pads online.
send them back for refund no problem,
as I wanted to fix the front brakes I called the local dealer and said to myself "ok, it will be more expensive but fast
The right OEM Bosch online I looked up just before where tagged 86$
Well, MB asked me 380$ for the same, Bosch relabeled to MB 8 front brake pads
they add little grease and sensors but that doesn't explain this

matk 01-26-2020 01:21 PM

I bought a Keyless Go spare key supplied by my local main dealer in the UK, price was £235.28.

Before I pulled the trigger I specifically checked with the Service Dept what would be needed for the key to be fully functional including Keyless Go. They said the key would arrive from factory fully functional, including Keyless Go.

Of course when it arrived, everything worked........Except the Keyless Go. They did a bit of head scratching and didn't seem to know what was needed.

Eventually they took the car back in free of charge and synced the key to an unused track in the car software and it then worked perfectly. I suspect I was lucky and asked the right questions before and they honoured what they said. I'm guessing a more clued up dealership would charge the £235.28 and then charge for the workshop time to correctly sync the key,

pmercury 01-26-2020 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by matk (Post 7963890)
I bought a Keyless Go spare key supplied by my local main dealer in the UK, price was £235.28.

Before I pulled the trigger I specifically checked with the Service Dept what would be needed for the key to be fully functional including Keyless Go. They said the key would arrive from factory fully functional, including Keyless Go.

Of course when it arrived, everything worked........Except the Keyless Go. They did a bit of head scratching and didn't seem to know what was needed.

Eventually they took the car back in free of charge and synced the key to an unused track in the car software and it then worked perfectly. I suspect I was lucky and asked the right questions before and they honoured what they said. I'm guessing a more clued up dealership would charge the £235.28 and then charge for the workshop time to correctly sync the key,

wow THX !
that was it
You MUST use Xentry to adapt Keyless Go !

sorry not for key registration for Keyless go registration

I messed up with my memory

Rudeney 01-26-2020 04:41 PM

Yes, the RCL and EIS functions of a key work right out of the box, no programming needed, but KeylessGo does require coding. There is a procedure i have rad about (but never tried) that might be able to teach-in a new KeylessGo key without SDS:

http://benzbits.com/R230/KeylessGoProgramming.pdf

pmercury 01-26-2020 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7964076)
Yes, the RCL and EIS functions of a key work right out of the box, no programming needed, but KeylessGo does require coding. There is a procedure i have rad about (but never tried) that might be able to teach-in a new KeylessGo key without SDS:

http://benzbits.com/R230/KeylessGoProgramming.pdf

exactly ! now I remember when i got my first W215 "that turn key, then push this button ect" stuff

well done !

only problem is to find the free key slot before you order