MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: QUESTION ABOUT FRONT BUMPERS (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/739745-question-about-front-bumpers.html)

goth 03-25-2019 08:19 PM

QUESTION ABOUT FRONT BUMPERS

does anyone know if the 2007-2008 front bumper of the SL550 also installs on a 2003-2006 SL500 AMG sports package?

Ghostty 03-25-2019 11:47 PM

From what i know - yes, it's a direct fit. Anything before the facelift should fit. But i've never swapped myself. Always wanted to change the bumper for an AMG one, but the price (!) and the clear bra on my SL stopped me from doing it :)

Regards

goth 03-26-2019 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostty (Post 7715304)
From what i know - yes, it's a direct fit. Anything before the facelift should fit. But i've never swapped myself. Always wanted to change the bumper for an AMG one, but the price (!) and the clear bra on my SL stopped me from doing it :)

Regards

i guess this would help

https://i.ibb.co/0hMNbrW/used-2007-m...521-3-1024.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/J3Jdxpd/436-p9-l.jpg

goth 03-26-2019 06:01 AM

the SL changed their bumpers for 2007. mine is the blue car and i am wondering if i can swap it with the newer version. and change foglights of course

Rudeney 03-26-2019 11:27 PM

Your best bet would be to buy a used bumper with all the parts intact. If you are gong to buy new parts, there's actually a lot to a bumper. It consists of the outer painted skin, several inner pieces of energy absorbing foam, a plastic stiffener, the grille panels, fog lights, side markers, some wiring, and a few other support pieces. It's a bit of a pain to assemble. The actual metal "frame" behind the bumper is all the same.

Frederick NL 03-27-2019 05:27 AM

CAUTION: BRACE FOR OPINION :blah:
Goth - why not spend all that time cruisin’ around in your pretty face SL in stead of getting dirty hands and a sore back for a trivial make over... nothing wrong with either front end, but what the heck....

goth 03-27-2019 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7716408)
CAUTION: BRACE FOR OPINION :blah:
Goth - why not spend all that time cruisin’ around in your pretty face SL in stead of getting dirty hands and a sore back for a trivial make over... nothing wrong with either front end, but what the heck....

i had an accident i need a new bumper

goth 03-27-2019 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7716284)
Your best bet would be to buy a used bumper with all the parts intact. If you are gong to buy new parts, there's actually a lot to a bumper. It consists of the outer painted skin, several inner pieces of energy absorbing foam, a plastic stiffener, the grille panels, fog lights, side markers, some wiring, and a few other support pieces. It's a bit of a pain to assemble. The actual metal "frame" behind the bumper is all the same.

totally understand your point however let's assume that i had the total package bumper huh? but it was the 07-08 model
and yet i have the old style currently..... will it work?

Rudeney 03-27-2019 10:27 AM

totally understand your point however let's assume that i had the total package bumper huh? but it was the 07-08 model
and yet i have the old style currently..... will it work?
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.

goth 03-27-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7716553)
The inner frame, fenders and headlights are all the same, so it should be bolt-on and you're done.

ok thank you

goth 05-17-2019 09:41 PM

hey guys, i like to give an update on this as i love giving updates. this is NOT an easy swap
there are i don't wanna say completely but they are different cars or bumpers. totally different.
i won't say it's impossible but there have to be some radical changes
07-08 fog lights receive a different set of connectors or they won't work
also the side markers are way too larger above all fender liners on 07-08 model are different as well. 03-06 fender liners are way too big for the 07-08 bumper.

goth 05-17-2019 09:44 PM

hey guys, i like to give an update on this as i love giving updates. this is NOT an easy swap
there are i don't wanna say completely but they are different cars or bumpers. totally different.
i won't say it's impossible but there have to be some radical changes
07-08 fog lights receive a different set of connectors or they won't work
the front grills fit differently on these two models. i am not sure which model has a steeper angle but i have looked online i can't pull up the original 07-08 front grille all i see are modifications and upgrades
also the side markers are way too larger above all fender liners on 07-08 model are different as well. 03-06 fender liners are way too big for the 07-08 bumper.

Rudeney 05-17-2019 10:43 PM

If you had the entire bumper with all parts, it would be a bolt on as the metal frame parts and headlights and mounts points are all the same. If you are trying to adapt just the skin, then yes, you need lots of parts.

goth 05-20-2019 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7758241)
If you had the entire bumper with all parts, it would be a bolt on as the metal frame parts and headlights and mounts points are all the same. If you are trying to adapt just the skin, then yes, you need lots of parts.

Rodney of course you are right i hate to argue because you are always right :) however i am probably pointing out the problems with such a swap
everything has to go. or everything has to be upgraded to 07-08 for it to work.

Rudeney 05-20-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by goth (Post 7759514)
Rodney of course you are right i hate to argue because you are always right :)

Can you please tell my wife that! :)

however i am probably pointing out the problems with such a swap
everything has to go. or everything has to be upgraded to 07-08 for it to work.
And another note in that respect is working with all of those internal bumper parts is quite a pain. I've done several, and they plastic stiffeners and foam impact absorbers never seem to fit right, but of course once they are properly placed, it all snaps together. You just have to be careful with the painted skin so you don't damage its finish.

goth 05-31-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7759787)
Can you please tell my wife that! :)

And another note in that respect is working with all of those internal bumper parts is quite a pain. I've done several, and they plastic stiffeners and foam impact absorbers never seem to fit right, but of course once they are properly placed, it all snaps together. You just have to be careful with the painted skin so you don't damage its finish.

I will. what's her user ID? lol