MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Advice on 157k but mint 2009 SL550 (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/741555-advice-157k-but-mint-2009-sl550.html)

tntgalx10 04-12-2019 08:54 AM

Advice on 157k but mint 2009 SL550

Hi all... I'm looking at purchasing a very high mileage 2009 SL5500. The upside is immaculate 1 owner condition, all service done on time and at one MB dealership. Southern car only, I know the seller (client of mine). I'm talking about spending very little money to buy it, but just curious what are some key $$ service {proactive things I guess?) that should have been done on it, so I can ask specifically, and kind of have an idea of what I may need to immediately have done to it. And what "typically" things may be coming up re: repair.

It's condition is truly immaculate, owner bought a new SL550 and will probably drive that one forever as well. I'll be paying very little for it ($6k-ish), and would strictly be a maybe 1k a year mileage summer fun car.... So there's a lot I'm ok with absorbing re: risk. Just would like to know what are the key things with this engine and these miles.

Also....I'm imagining that if the convertible top motor breaks, that could be a massive $ fix. Is there a way to manually put the top up (and ideally down as well)?

Thanks so much! Haven't been a Mercedes person in a good while... Had a 2011 S63, but that was leased and high miles issues we're never on the radar! (how many sets of tires I went through?... well, that was an issue! I have Bithlo to thank for that!! Lol)

Rudeney 04-13-2019 09:33 PM

I'd have no worries about the engine and transmission as ling as they have been properly maintained. ABC is going to need some maintenance, so be prepared for that. And yes, the vario roof may need some TLC, too. If you don't DIY, then this could be an expensive toy. If you do, it's probably going to be a great buy.

brownboy 04-14-2019 10:46 PM

Hi,

I have a 90k sliver arrow. I consider myself fortunate if I can make it a year without something beyond routine maintenance but I love this car.

But I've never dealt with plastic ball bearings that prevent the convertible top from operating until this week.

I still want to keep this car forever.

Mattleycrue76 04-15-2019 03:57 PM

From my experience with these cars I would place more value on the condition of the car and level of maintenance it has received over it's lifetime than the mileage. A lot of the issue that these cars experience come from a lack of use or time rather than wear from miles driven. But like Rodney indicated, if you plan to utilize your friendly local MB dealership run the other way. If you plan to DIY, buy it and never look back. You'll likely love it as much as the rest of us do. They are amazing cars if you have realistic expectations.

danaw007 04-15-2019 10:13 PM

As far as this newbie can discern, if you're not going to DIY it doesn't make sense to buy a 10K or 150K mile SL. I am a DIY guy and did the brakes and rotors on my SL550 and my Rover this past weekend saving over a grand. If you can buy a used SL you may as well lease a new one I find you can't DIY as it's probably about the same money.