MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Lost both keys. Now what?? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/746097-lost-both-keys-now-what.html)

moparposterchil 05-30-2019 03:17 PM

Lost both keys. Now what??

Had a rental car broken into recently and they stole my bag with my key to the Benz in it. My wife was using the spare and three days later lost it. Is my only option to have the car towed and go to the dealer and have them order new ones at $450 a piece?

Plutoe 05-30-2019 09:28 PM

Welcome to the you just got Foooooooooooked club----either find a key or see the MB donut girl for a replacement!

FxFormat 05-30-2019 09:33 PM

Now you grab your ankles and apply generous amount of Vaseline to your rear end, you're about to get your guts stirred.

MBCO 05-30-2019 09:49 PM

Besides the proper lube bring your paper work on ownership residency drivers licenses etc, Uber engineering against theft requires it. Ain’t your Dads MoPar.

Rudeney 05-30-2019 10:24 PM

You will also likely need to have the car towed to the dealership as most of them now will not give you the key unless it goes through service for "programming". KeylessGo does require programming, but non-KeylessGO cars do not, yet the dealership will still require the car to be there and charge you $100+ in labor for the "pleasure".

Tirgoman 05-30-2019 10:58 PM

If your dealer had a mobile service vehicle I would think they can bring 2 keys ( from your VIN) to you and program them after checking your paperwork.

deneb 05-31-2019 09:42 AM

I recently bought a 2010 GLK350 that came with one key. I just called the dealership - I have to bring the car with the registration to the service department and then they order the key that gets configured and cut at the factory and shipped to the dealership. They quoted me $231 for the FOB and $78 for the blade ... $309 plus tax.

BlownV8 05-31-2019 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tirgoman (Post 7768070)
If your dealer had a mobile service vehicle I would think they can bring 2 keys ( from your VIN) to you and program them after checking your paperwork.

Unfortunately, doesn't work like that. Keys are shipped from MB preprogrammed to the vehicle. There may be someone who can duplicate a key but, from my experience, the dealership is not the one. The OP.lost both keys so the only option looks to be through a dealership and it will take a week or so to arrive.

bobterry99 05-31-2019 12:49 PM

There are locksmith services which can create new keys at a considerable discount to the dealer price. There are several doing business on eBay. Programming for the new key is derived from your ignition switch, so this must be provided to them.

I would like to have a Keyless Go key made for one of my cars. I was quoted $275 by eBay seller "ecuteam-oleg". I've made no other inquiries among eBay sellers or local locksmiths.

deneb 05-31-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7768375)
There are locksmith services which can create new keys at a considerable discount to the dealer price. There are several doing business on eBay. Programming for the new key is derived from your ignition switch, so this must be provided to them.

I would like to have a Keyless Go key made for one of my cars. I was quoted $275 by eBay seller "ecuteam-oleg". I've made no other inquiries among eBay sellers or local locksmiths.

Has anyone bought a working key/remote on eBay and have had them work? My key is getting programmed and cut at the factory - but it's a 2010, maybe newer cars get programmed from the ignition switch? I have heard conflicting information on this, but since I only have one key and live 50 miles from the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership, I am taking the safe route and going to the dealer.

Rudeney 05-31-2019 11:13 PM

All MBZ vehicles with the DAS3 SmartKey system have alt the information needed for creating new keys contained within the EIS. Now, getting to that information and knowing how to use it and program a key is a different thing. Of course MBZ has records of this so they can easily create a $300 key for you. A 3rd part provider must have physical access to the EIS to get the codes to be able to generate a key. That's the challenge. If you wan tot take a chance and send your EIS off to some random e-commerce vendor to save $10o-$150, then have at it. Yes, I agree that MBZ dealer prices for keys is highway robbery, but it is what it is.

bobterry99 06-01-2019 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by deneb (Post 7768524)
Has anyone bought a working key/remote on eBay and have had them work?...I have heard conflicting information on this...

I got a key from ecuteam-oleg that works fine. But to be clear, they programmed a "blank" key to create a key for me. Neither they nor anyone I am aware of can take an already-programmed key and make it work with another vehicle.

moparposterchil 06-02-2019 10:18 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I can’t find any independents that say they can make a key for me so it looks like I’m towing the car to the dealership Monday. $400 per key. Ouch. A string of a little bad luck lately but I’ll take replacement keys over ABC problems any day!

Rudeney 06-02-2019 01:22 PM

See if they will give you a discount for ordering two keys. At least the labor charge should be no more.