MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Retractable top not working with key Fob (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/746885-retractable-top-not-working-key-fob.html)

philkwill 06-07-2019 04:57 PM

Retractable top not working with key Fob

Greetings I picked up my 2009 SL 550 in October, still learning it, but one thing that bothers the crap out of me is the key Fob will only lock/unlock the doors and open the trunk. It will not operate the retractable top or windows when pressed and held. What seems to be the problem? Tried both keys and both doors same issue.

Rudeney 06-07-2019 09:45 PM

You have to aim the key at the IR sensor on the door handle, and be within about 2 feet of it. Even so, the IR sensors on the door handle are known to fail, and honestly, why would you want to stand there and hold to button to operate the roof? A better option is this:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=50

philkwill 06-07-2019 10:19 PM

I like it! I wonder about the cost and installation. Can you pause the top in motion?

Rudeney 06-08-2019 09:39 PM

Price is $312:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/mods4cars-S...MAAOSwsB9WBeNW

Installation is very easy if you can do some simple wiring and trim work. If not, find a good car audio shop. It takes less than an hour. Really, 30 minutes if you've done one before.

And yes, you can pause it - just hit the lock or unlock button on the fob.

danaw007 06-09-2019 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7774482)
Price is $312:

Installation is very easy if you can do some simple wiring and trim work. If not, find a good car audio shop. It takes less than an hour. Really, 30 minutes if you've done one before.

Buy the smart top, the best option for these cars hands down! I'm glad I listened to Rodney! It took less than 10 minutes and works as advertised.

Rudeney 06-10-2019 10:37 AM

Make sure you update to the latest firmware. V4.xx added lots of cool features beyond top control: one-touch seat memory recall, Easy-Entry seat positioning, an extra windshield wiper swipe after misting, and alternating blinking lights when top is in operations.

danaw007 06-10-2019 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7775328)
Make sure you update to the latest firmware. V4.xx added lots of cool features beyond top control: one-touch seat memory recall, Easy-Entry seat positioning, an extra windshield wiper swipe after misting, and alternating blinking lights when top is in operations.

And, my wife’s beloved feature, the rear quarter windows can be raised with the top down.

NHSl550 06-13-2019 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=Rudeney;7775328]Make sure you update to the latest firmware. V4.xx added lots of cool features beyond top control: one-touch seat memory recall, Easy-Entry seat positioning, an extra windshield wiper swipe after misting, and alternating blinking lights when top is in operations.[/QUOTE
This is cool.. Can you use the console switch to put the top up while driving or do you have to use the fob?

danaw007 06-13-2019 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=NHSl550;7778696]

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7775328)
Make sure you update to the latest firmware. V4.xx added lots of cool features beyond top control: one-touch seat memory recall, Easy-Entry seat positioning, an extra windshield wiper swipe after misting, and alternating blinking lights when top is in operations.[/QUOTE
This is cool.. Can you use the console switch to put the top up while driving or do you have to use the fob?

Console control.

Frederick NL 06-14-2019 09:14 AM

I guess the cause of OP’s problem, the key fob not activating the roof, is that the accessories battery has insufficient capacity.

Rudeney 06-14-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7778985)
I guess the cause of OP’s problem, the key fob not activating the roof, is that the accessories battery has insufficient capacity.

Could be, but also failure of the IR sensor in the door handle is very common.

Frederick NL 06-15-2019 04:03 AM

But the central lock feature works?

bobterry99 06-15-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7779794)
But the central lock feature works?

Presumably, but locking uses a radio-frequency signal. So, you don't need to point your remote at the infrared receiver in the door handle to lock or unlock your car.

NHSl550 06-17-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7773874)
You have to aim the key at the IR sensor on the door handle, and be within about 2 feet of it. Even so, the IR sensors on the door handle are known to fail, and honestly, why would you want to stand there and hold to button to operate the roof? A better option is this:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=50

Just installed this. Works great

GoFastr 06-18-2019 08:10 AM

OEM fob

Will an OEM fob work the top on a 2009 SL65? If so, which buttons and what is the sequence? My fob only seems to have door locks and trunk open on it.

Frederick NL 06-18-2019 09:49 AM

It should. Point at the IR receiver in either exterior door grip. Press and hold Lock for closing the top. Press and hold Open to open up the top.

GoFastr 06-18-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Frederick NL (Post 7781957)
It should. Point at the IR receiver in either exterior door grip. Press and hold Lock for closing the top. Press and hold Open to open up the top.

Great! Thanks for the response. I never knew this. I'll try this when I get home tonight!

I had ordered the SmartTop from a shop near me but they ended up saying they couldn't get it and I should just get it directly myself.
I like the other advanced features and may still try and get it but I can try this in the mean time.

NHSl550 06-18-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by GoFastr (Post 7782069)
Great! Thanks for the response. I never knew this. I'll try this when I get home tonight!

I had ordered the SmartTop from a shop near me but they ended up saying they couldn't get it and I should just get it directly myself.
I like the other advanced features and may still try and get it but I can try this in the mean time.

Smart top is much better than opening the factory way. Well worth the money and you don't have to be 2 inches away from the car. got mine on ebay and had it in 3 days.

Frederick NL 06-18-2019 05:17 PM

At least in Europe there’s more brands on the market. Make sure you order the one you want.
MB designed what they designed with a reason - safety no doubt. I’m sure someone somewhere is going to get caught in the roof’s motion. I was stupid enough to flip down the windbreaker while the top was in motion (standard mode) and my hand got caught between the breaker and some part of the roof. The force involved is no joke, I was lucky my fingers were forced out of the way and not really jammed. Hurt like hell.
(And yes I want a smart top unit)

ponchik 06-19-2019 09:05 AM

This smart top unit lets you operate the roof while the car is moving - that is actually the most wanted option for me as i have to close the roof every day before entering the tunnel.

They claim the roof will be operational at speeds up to 60 kmh. I wonder wheter they made any tests and closing\opening the roofat these speeds is actually safe for the roof mechanism. Especially taking into account the luggage compartment lid that open backweards and works like a large speedbrake )

Rudeney 06-19-2019 11:29 PM

I have a SmartTop on my CLK and it would work up to 40kph (25mph). The canvas was just fine with that, so I'd think the hard to would be fine up to 60kph (40mph). On mine, I cannot operate it much over 40kph (25mph) because the rear trunk lid won't close. I think the cylinder on the lid is weak. If I stomp the brakes and thus throw the lid forward a bit, it will then close.

ponchik 06-20-2019 04:33 AM

Thanks, I think I don't need more than 40kph, the traffic is not that good :)

GoFastr 06-20-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7774482)
Price is $312:

Many thanks for this ebay link! :bow:

It is about $50 less expensive than most websites online that I have searched and found.
Ordered it and it's already on its way!