MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Hi, new owner. 2007 SL550 (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/747588-hi-new-owner-2007-sl550.html)

tydriver 06-15-2019 12:53 AM

Hi, new owner. 2007 SL550

Hi, folks. I'm reading through the forum,trying not to scare myself too badly :)
I bought a 2007 SL550 with AMG sport option and, well, I think every other option as well.
94k mi. a 'white' ABC malfunction showing on the multifunction display. Keyless Go is not working. Not sure if it is the key (I only have one) or the car. Otherwise seems to be in really good condition.

I'd like to get a backup key (or a primary key, if getting a Keyless-Go enabled key is the solution). Suggestions for the best dealer in Dallas for this is appreciated.

Anyone in the Metroplex with a SDS and willing to hook it up to my car.. multiple cold beverages of your choosing??

First question: I have seen a few posts indicating that a 2007 SL550 has bluetooth capability. I am not finding any evidence of that in my car. Is it because I have the "Premium Sound" option? What should I be looking for? OK, first 2 questions...

Thanks to moderators and contributors for the fire-hose-stream of useful information here.

The DVD slot above the Comand display promptly ate the first MP3 CD I put in. First it declared the format to be wrong (could be, it was my first attempt at a MP3 CD. Any Windows 10 suggestions welcome). Then it said it was ejecting it when I pushed the button. Then it declared there was no disk present, although it had not ejected one. I removed the in-dash unit, removed the optical drive module (with my CD still in its maw), read the part number on the label, and ordered a replacement from China. Fingers crossed.

Rudeney 06-15-2019 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car's model year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

My advice is to buy your own SDS. You can get a full turnkey system pre-installed on a used laptop for about $300. Bobterry999 has posted a few links for these. You can use this to diagnose your ABC issues. Also, this is an invaluable ABC resource:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

As for KeylessGo, so it does not work at all? What messages are displayed on the MFD when you try to use it? Also, try from the passenger door and trunk to rule out antenna issues. Check fuse 58 on the rear panel, too. Most dealers charge the same for keys and now require the car to be in service for programming. With KeylessGo, there is some programming required. Expect prices over $400. Although it is possible to order a non-KeylessGo key, most parts guys don't know how to do that, so by default they order the proper KeylessGo version.

Bluetooth was not standard equipment until the MY2009 refresh where they upgraded the COMAND head unit to the NTG 2.5 version. With your COMAND unit, there is no good way to do streaming music, but you can do hands-free if the car has the optional cell phone interface. If so, there will be a puck or at least an MHI plug in the center console for this. If not, then forget it - it's very expensive to retrofit. If you do have the MHI connector, then you will need the Bluetooth puck. MBZ makes one as does a company called Viseeo.

tydriver 06-15-2019 10:22 PM

Thanks for the reply. Profile updated. I'm looking at the Chinese SDS knockoff. So, it seems like if it comes with the HDD, it must be used with a specific model of laptop. I get that from the forum posts, but it's not obvious in from the website.

My datacard says I have option 389 - MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS) USA/CANADA COMPL. I took a closer look in the center console, and found the phone interface. Lucky me.

Rudeney 06-15-2019 11:00 PM

If you are very computer savvy, you can build an SDS setup yourself, but the easiest thing to do is buy one that comes with a used laptop (like a Dell D630) with everything pre-installed an working.

Dhunch22 06-17-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rudeney (Post 7780277)
If you are very computer savvy, you can build an SDS setup yourself, but the easiest thing to do is buy one that comes with a used laptop (like a Dell D630) with everything pre-installed an working.

Rodney,
i am super computer savy. how exactly would one go by building SDS system on their own?
thank you!

Rudeney 06-18-2019 12:13 AM

Buy the multiplexer (the RS232/RS485 serial interface "C3" version is fine for your car). Then get a copy of the software to install. *******.com is a good website for getting the software. You will have to make a "donation" to join their site, but it's nominal. DHGATE and ALibaba are good sources for the multiplexer. This will get you SDS for well under $200. For under $300, you can buy the multiplexer with a hard drive (look for a "virtual" version) and then you don;t have to go hunting and download software. For around $400, you can fund a turnkey system pre-installed on a used Dell laptop.

bobterry99 06-18-2019 12:21 AM

I would get the "C3" multiplexer as Rodney suggested, but for c. $50 from the C3 vendor I would also get a hard drive with the software pre-installed and configured for a Dell D630 laptop. The Dell is also about $50. It needs no hard drive, of course, and should have 2 GB (or more) of RAM.

Dhunch22 06-18-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7781812)
I would get the "C3" multiplexer as Rodney suggested, but for c. $50 from the C3 vendor I would also get a hard drive with the software pre-installed and configured for a Dell D630 laptop. The Dell is also about $50. It needs no hard drive, of course, and should have 2 GB (or more) of RAM.

any links to the site(s) where all this can be purchased?

bobterry99 06-18-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dhunch22 (Post 7781944)
any links to the site(s) where all this can be purchased?

Rodney gave you two sites for the multiplexer, cables, and software. But you might also check aliexpress.com. There I found this one which includes the software-loaded hard drive for $249 + $15.58 shipping.

Dell D630 laptops are plentiful. Check eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

Dhunch22 06-18-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7782022)
Rodney gave you two sites for the multiplexer, cables, and software. But you might also check aliexpress.com. There I found this one which includes the software-loaded hard drive for $249 + $15.58 shipping.

Dell D630 laptops are plentiful. Check eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

so something like in the link below would be all-in-one package that would work for my 2007 SL550?
maybe i'll just get the whole out of the box turn key system and not mess with looking for parts to put together.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...0AAOSwRPhblSik

bobterry99 06-18-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dhunch22 (Post 7782030)
so something like in the link below would be all-in-one package that would work for my 2007 SL550?

That will work. But you are essentially paying $270 for a $50 laptop.

If you want to buy a complete setup I will sell you my Star Diagnosis kit for $500, and I pay the shipping. (I'd then immediately purchase for $249 the aliexpress.com kit and look for a Dell on eBay.)

Dhunch22 06-18-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7782036)
That will work. But you are essentially paying $270 for a $50 laptop and that nice case.

If you want to buy a complete setup I will sell you my Star Diagnosis kit for $500, and I pay the shipping. (I'd then immediately purchase for $249 the aliexpress.com kit and look for a Dell on eBay.)

sure,
can you tell me a bit more about your setup?
basically i would receive everything in the mail that i can just plug-n-play with my MB? all cables and everything?
what's the software version you have?

bobterry99 06-18-2019 01:13 PM

From me you would get essentially what the eBay seller is providing: a multiplexer, a cable to connect the multiplexer to a vehicle OBD-II connector, a cable to connect the multiplexer to a laptop, and a Dell D630 with 2 GB of RAM. My multiplexer was purchased in 2008 and has been used only occasionally since then.

My software is from mid-2014. This is the latest version of software which is fully supported by the C3 multiplexer. (The eBay seller tacitly recognizes the limitations of using his kit with a newer vehicle as evidenced by the cautionary note at the bottom of his ad.) If you want a kit which will work with all Mercedes cars which have been produced since late 2014, then you need a "C4" or newer version of multiplexer.

If you still want mine instead of the aliexpress.com kit, then I suggest we work out further details via PM.

tydriver 06-19-2019 02:15 PM

In the meantime, I hooked my iCarsofy MBII up to the car. I confirmed that I have a bad diverter flap actuator in the AC. Dash is in the process of coming out, with the help of WIS.

It also says it has comm errors with both Keyless go (no surprise, it's not working) and ABC. The latter is a little surprising, since it does seem to be working. No codes set. Anyone have a suggestion where to start looking for the ABC comm issue? Thanks!

bobterry99 06-19-2019 09:45 PM

My cloned Star Diagnosis communicates with ABC, but my iCarsoft does not.