SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Windshield washer tank leaking when full -- O-ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
Windshield washer tank leaking when full -- O-ring?

Hey all. I know this topic has been brought up before, but I think I need to start a new thread on my first failed attempt to fix the issue. (Before I posted this thread I tried replying at the bottom of this link, but received no advice or input.)

The problem is (in my R230 SL55 AMG), I am getting about a pint of water on the garage floor when I fill the washer tank. Apparently, the flex pipe to the tank is often the problem (#110 in diagram below, A230 869 01 17) and/or, there is a bad O-ring/gasket (#115 in the diagram below, A230 869 0098) that goes between the flex pipe and the filler funnel/elbow (#120 in the diagram).

I looked for the O-ring (#115) but it was not there (where it went, I have no idea), so I assumed that was the problem. I ordered one from the dealer ($8). This foam O-ring looked very flimsy and came with creases in it. I cannot see how this set-up would be water tight, but okay, I installed it (fighting the urge to use silicone to seal it). After re-assembly,the pipe area leaked exactly as before. Dang it!

Note, I did not pull the flex pipe (#110) all the way out of the tanksince I did not know how it seals itself to the tank (the fit was quite loose). So my question is, does the flex pipe seal to the tank with an O-ring at its bottom? Does it seat/seal water tight when you pull it up snug? This whole thing seems very poorly designed.

Thanks,
Robert
PS: I have included photos of the O-ring for anyone who reads this, in case they want to make their own to improve on what the dealer offers.

Last edited by RProsser; 07-15-2019 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xerxes (02-26-2023)
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by RProsser
Hey all. I know this topic has been brought up before, but I think I need to start a new thread on my first failed attempt to fix the issue. (Before I posted this thread I tried replying at the bottom of this link, but received no advice or input.)

The problem is (in my R230 SL55 AMG), I am getting about a pint of water on the garage floor when I fill the washer tank. Apparently, the flex pipe to the tank is often the problem (#110 in diagram below, A230 869 01 17) and/or, there is a bad O-ring/gasket (#115 in the diagram below, A230 869 0098) that goes between the flex pipe and the filler funnel/elbow (#120 in the diagram).

I looked for the O-ring (#115) but it was not there (where it went, I have no idea), so I assumed that was the problem. I ordered one from the dealer ($8). This foam O-ring looked very flimsy and came with two creases in it. I cannot see how this set-up would be water tight, but okay, I installed it (fighting the urge to use silicone to seal it). After re-assembly,the pipe area leaked exactly as before. Dang it!

Note, I did not pull the flex pipe (#110) all the way out of the tanksince I did not know how it seals itself to the tank (the fit was quite loose). So my question is, does the flex pipe seal to the tank with an O-ring at its bottom? Does it seat/seal water tight when you pull it up? This whole thing seems very poorly designed.

Thanks,
Robert
PS: I have included photos of the O-ring for anyone who reads this, in case they want to make their own to improve on what the dealer offers.
I used Stretch and Seal tape to seal the tube to tank junction. Not exactly this one, but similar to:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...8952/100206050

P.S. I really do not like how you place the jack stand under the front wheel hub. It doesn't seem safe. I always use some point on the body.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
Robert

I noticed the same leak after replacing the headlamp washers and filling the reservoir. Seeing the foam ring in your photos makes me think that this is not a seal.at all. Do you think it's possible that this is an intentional leak? Can this be their idea of an overflow? Keep us up to date, I'm very interested to learn how you end up.

Mike.
The following users liked this post:
xerxes (02-26-2023)
Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Mercedes
alk247: thanks for the response. I really would like to replace with factory parts but I realize the tape idea would seal it up well. Though, taking it apart would be another story. As for the jack under the hub: that was only there until I found a better place to put it. But thank you for your concern!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM

What is part 130 in your diagram? Is that an overflow hose?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL500
alk247: thanks for the response. I really would like to replace with factory parts but I realize the tape idea would seal it up well. Though, taking it apart would be another story. As for the jack under the hub: that was only there until I found a better place to put it. But thank you for your concern!
I hope I never have to take it apart again. I did it to replace failed water pump.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Mercedes
mikefamig: I agree with you. Given the diagram, cheesy o-rings, and what I've discovered so far, I have no idea how this tank held water to the brim all these years, i.e., I don't remember this happening until late last year. There is no way that Mercedes-Benz would design a system that bled-out a pint or so on the floor.

Last edited by RProsser; 07-15-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by mikefamig
What is part 130 in your diagram? Is that an overflow hose?
I looked into that and it's apparently to help burp the system as you're filling it. As far as I know, it doesn't have to do with this issue.

Last edited by RProsser; 07-15-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
SL600
Hallo,

are you sure water runs out at the upper connection? Last time i did it, it was the poor connection between pump and hose.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Mercedes
AndreasHannover: thanks for the input, but no, it's not that for two reasons:
1) it's leaking only a small amount that would correspond to the amount that is held by the funnel #120 and flex hose #110 when filling the tank to the top. After that amount drains out (appx a pint) there is no further leaking.
2) before I replaced the fender liner, I could see water gathered around the joint between the tank and the flex pipe #110.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Mercedes
Follow-up: So I found a photo of the flex tube in question (#110 in the diagram). There is no provision for an O-ring at the bottom where it goes into the tank. For the life of me, I don't see how this set-up was water tight for so many years. Unless someone knows better, it seems using Stretch & Seal tape might be the only remedy!

Old 12-30-2019, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550 and E400
I had leak also. A shop told me it is the tank itself failing which is common. I paid them $50 and they sealed it, worked for 2 years, now leaking again.
Since I now have a lift, I am tearing into it and installing a new tank.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Connect2us
I had leak also. A shop told me it is the tank itself failing which is common. I paid them $50 and they sealed it, worked for 2 years, now leaking again.
Since I now have a lift, I am tearing into it and installing a new tank.
Please let us know what you learn when you get it apart. I have the problem in my 2005.

Mike.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Mine was leaking. I took off the wheel and pulled back the fender liner. It turned out being the SEAM of the tank, which partially failed (tank is constructed of two halves fused together) so I used some Flexseal and it perfectly sealed it up. Lightly sand area, wipe with ISP alcohol and goup it up.

Last edited by poppyboy; 12-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 PM

Mercedes
Connect2us: I appreciate you revisiting this thread that I started. FYI, my tank was replaced 16 months ago, so this time it is not the tank's seam, which would be an easy patch. As mentioned earlier, when investigating this time, I found that the flex pipe/filler neck that goes into the tank at the top was hardly what I would call watertight. The new OEM "seal" is a joke. Until I learn there is an update to that seal, next time I have access to it, I will just use silicone caulk or wrap the joint with rubberized tape (as suggested higher on this thread). Until then, I just let the fluid in the filler pipe leak out until it finds equilibrium at the join. No big deal, but tolerating a puddle under the car is not what one would expect from a well engineered car like this.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sl55

I looked for the O-ring (#115) but it was not there (where it went, I have no idea), so I assumed that was the problem. I ordered one from the dealer ($8). This foam O-ring looked very flimsy and came with creases in it. I cannot see how this set-up would be water tight, but okay, I installed it (fighting the urge to use silicone to seal it). After re-assembly,the pipe area leaked exactly as before. Dang it!

Note, I did not pull the flex pipe (#110) all the way out of the tanksince I did not know how it seals itself to the tank (the fit was quite loose). So my question is, does the flex pipe seal to the tank with an O-ring at its bottom? Does it seat/seal water tight when you pull it up snug? This whole thing seems very poorly designed.

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks RProsser, Your description and photos were hugely helpful. I was having the same leaking problem in my SL. There was nothing useful in shop manual but your thread greatly assisted me. Thanks again,