SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: carlsson front spoiler...etc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
carlsson front spoiler...etc

Finally got my car done. Carlsson front spoiler lip, Lorinser trunk lip, OZ Gallileo III wheels 8.5X20" F, 10X20" R, tinted windows, and white bulbs for the front blinkers. Want to get rid of amber side markers but have not decides whether to paint it over or to get European spec bumper strips. Want to also get AV input/output for the Command Head unit. Saw the new interior for the SL 65 at the MBUSA site... the Nav display looks bigger... I am envious of the new DVD COMMAND... nicer screen to watch TV with...

Last edited by erichen; 06-18-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nicely done!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
how much was the front and how much was the rear spoilers? thanks, looks great
Old 06-21-2004, 01:36 AM

The Carlsson Front spoiler was around $700, (685 I think...) shipping around $130 (express mail or something, it's heavy), and the labor including paint/preparations (lots of patterns on there from the fiberglass, had to buff it all out) was around $400. The Lorinser trunk lid was around $760, forgot how much shipping was, the labor and paint was about the same at $400. The total bill was for the wheels, tink, lights, and the spoilers so I don't know what it would have cost to just put the spoilers on. It was a bit more than I had expected but oh well.... it looks better that way. Oh, had to wait about a month for the Lorinser trunk lip, it was on back order from Europe and it had to be fitted. It's made out of hard foam stuff and was actually a bit wider than the trunk. The installer had to trim both ends to make it fit better. He said it was a pain in the butt to paint and stick on...
Old 06-21-2004, 01:24 PM

06 SL55
Mine is getting painted as we speak!! I will post pics soon!!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:55 PM

I had put a Wald rear spoiler on the trunk of my friend's car, it fits perfectly. So if anyone was originally interested using the lorinser but is afraid of the fitment issues, should definitely look into using the Wald one.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Almost a Member!

The love of my life...

Well not talking about my SL500 but my Fiancee. She took the SL500 when I was using the wifemobile SUV for camping this weekend. To make a long story short she drove the SL front bumper into a curb while parking this weekend. The SL has the AMG package and it appears that the lower portion has cracked and is all scratched up under the lower intake grills. I wanted to know if the Carlsson require new fog lights and if there is another lip or solution to repair, cover up or replace this damage.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
looks good!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:35 AM

Poverty,
Sorry to hear of your wife's adventures with your car. With the original 18" tires, I scratched the bottom of the front spoilers, AMG sports package ones, on the parking cement block within the first week. I always had to remember to raise my car or back it in to avoid accidentally hitting these blocks or curbs. I also learned to park really far back. Living in an area where lots of crazy and incompetent drivers are, that may be dangerous as I found out one day when I found large black scratch marks on the rear bumper from somebody 's black body paint or bumper. Anyways, before I got the Carlsson spoiler, I had the 20" wheels put on, guess what, they raised the car's chassis around .5-1". I didn't lower the car because I didn't want to void the warranty. With the new wheels, never hit the cement blocks no more. Not 100% but better than before. Then, the spoilers went on, and back to my old tricks of parking farther back or backing in.
As far as the bumper is concerned, the Carlsson is an add on lip. It's actually bolted to the underside of the AMG bumper. Depending on how badly damamged your bumper is, this may or may not work. One, it may not be bolted on properly due to damamge. Second, the lip may not completely cover up the damamge as you wish. Since you have the AMG bumper, you cannot use most body kits for front bumper add ons since they are mostly desinged for the stock bumper, not the AMG bumper. Again, depending on how much damamge was done, you may have no choice but to replace the whole bumper. Somebody earlier posted a thread with the same problem though with a stock bumper. They ended up replacing it with a Brabus front bumper piece. Don't know about price, can't be cheap, but the result was nice. So, the key is how much damage was done and whether a lip is enough to cover the damage. And no, the light didn't have to be changed. If you have to change the whole bumper, you may have to change the fog lights. DXC was trying to sell the new SL 65 AMG F-1 bumper on this site earlier. Maybe you should look him up and get a bumper from him if you have to replace the thing. I think your insurance should cover it too if you have comprehensive insurance in the states. It will replace what you had, not pay for any upgrades! Why don't you post a picture of your damamged bumper. The guys on this thread can probably give you more useful tips.
Good luck!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 Capri Blue SL500, Brabus Body Kit, 20" Chrome Davin Speed Rims and Eisenmann Exhaust
Erichen.... What level of tinting did you get on your windows? I'm doing my 04' SL500 this week and was wondering what percentage to go with... your choice looks just right... not to dark... not to light.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 PM

The tint I used on that car is 3M tint, my car guy told me it's the #2 tint, I don't have the model/spec number. I think it's the 35% one which blocks 35% of light. It's not the lightest one, but the second lightest one. If you ask your dealer/tint shop, they should know what it is. I think the one under it blocks 25%, and the one over it blocks 50%. The 50% was too dark. I didn't want to get in trouble with cops especially here in LA when I have to go to LAX once in a while. They like to get you for equipment violations. If you can't find which one it is, let me know and I will ask my car guy the exact specs and post it here for you. Good luck!
And Poverty, how's your bumper? Got any pics?