MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R230) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/)
-   -   SL/R230: Changed steering wheel (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/778589-changed-steering-wheel.html)

Don Butts 03-29-2020 11:42 AM

Changed steering wheel

Hi all, I have a 2006 SL55 that I adore. I purchased and installed wooden wheel from eBay from a sl500. I am fine with losing the button shifters but now I can't down shift with the shifter in sport or comfort while driving. It works fine in manual. Does anyone know how to get shifter to work manually shift again. While in drive mode it works perfect. When I push shifter left to downshift nothing happens.

pmercury 03-29-2020 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Don Butts (Post 8018620)
Hi all, I have a 2006 SL55 that I adore. I purchased and installed wooden wheel from eBay from a sl500. I am fine with losing the button shifters but now I can't down shift with the shifter in sport or comfort while driving. It works fine in manual. Does anyone know how to get shifter to work manually shift again. While in drive mode it works perfect. When I push shifter left to downshift nothing happens.

yes, I must remove the shifter SA code from your VDOK card online
then code your ETC online
other solution is doing it offline with DTS or Vediamo
in official online You will need a Sdconnect C4 and latest software
in offline and non official you need or C4 or C3 just Vediamo or DTS

seven_out 03-29-2020 02:32 PM

I'm going to disagree with the prior post, as I believe this has to be a wiring issue.

The buttons are wired in series between two inputs to the Steering Column module. If neither is pressed, then there exists an open circuit. So whether existing buttons are not pressed or the buttons are removed appears the same to the module.

Is there any possibility that the wires you left behind are shorted together, Don?

pmercury 03-29-2020 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rod_84 (Post 8018789)
I'm going to disagree with the prior post, as I believe this has to be a wiring issue.

The buttons are wired in series between two inputs to the Steering Column module. If neither is pressed, then there exists an open circuit. So whether existing buttons are not pressed or the buttons are removed appears the same to the module.

Is there any possibility that the wires you left behind are shorted together, Don?

Is possible but as there is no more shifter hardware, the ETC is waiting for signal probably
I did two SL's paddle shifter conversions and firmware is not the same at all without

seven_out 03-29-2020 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 8018812)
Is possible but as there is no more shifter hardware, the ETC is waiting for signal probably
I did two SL's paddle shifter conversions and firmware is not the same at all without

Electrically, no module or electrical circuit in Don's car discern that his new steering wheel is missing those two buttons. Logically, your point is immaterial.

pmercury 03-29-2020 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rod_84 (Post 8018820)
Electrically, no module or electrical circuit in Don's car discern that his new steering wheel is missing those two buttons. Logically, your point is immaterial.

yes can be, just saw it's downshift only too

pmercury 03-29-2020 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Don Butts (Post 8018620)

The paddle shifters are NO switches ( normally open ), so removing them has no influence on the input or behavior of the PCB module.
Has the original airbag module been refitted or replaced by the one that came with the wooden steering wheel ?

matk 03-30-2020 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 8018865)
The paddle shifters are NO switches ( normally open ), so removing them has no influence on the input or behavior of the PCB module.
Has the original airbag module been refitted or replaced by the one that came with the wooden steering wheel ?

Just reading this and am a bit confused, isn’t that what Rod was saying earlier?

pmercury 03-30-2020 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by matk (Post 8019139)
Just reading this and am a bit confused, isn’t that what Rod was saying earlier?

no ? you think so ?

Don Butts 03-30-2020 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rod_84 (Post 8018789)

I don't think that they are touching.

Don Butts 03-30-2020 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 8019143)

no ? you think so ?

I reused the air bag and front buttons from the original wheel. I know it does not downshift. I have not tried upshifting it. I think I read somewhere that one shifter was NO and one was NC, but I can't find where I read that.

matk 03-30-2020 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by pmercury (Post 8019143)

no ? you think so ?

I don’t think anything lol, I’m confused and just asked a question to help myself to understand the background. No biggie, I’m still confused so I’ll bow out of this one.

pmercury 03-30-2020 05:23 AM

to confusing to me too

Seven Out 03-30-2020 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Don Butts (Post 8019146)
I think I read somewhere that one shifter was NO and one was NC, but I can't find where I read that.

You can download the wiring diagram as part of a package that I linked to and determine for yourself, Don.

Don Butts 04-01-2020 02:35 PM

Sorry my question was so confusing. If someone else has this issue, I took the shifter buttons out of the old steering wheel and will attempt to plug them in and tuck them in behind the airbag. That should solve my problem. They are pretty small
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...bfc7175ec1.jpg