SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Star Diagnosis tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 SL500, 2004 SL500, 1966 Mustang GT convertible, 2009 Jeep Wrangler 4 door limited X,
Star Diagnosis tool

It is time to buy a Star Diagnosis tool. Trying to diagnosis problems and solve them without randomly replacing parts is worth investment. Specifically I want to be able to diagnosis the ABC system as well as top malfunctions. Which one would work best on a 2004 R230 and would it work on my 1997 R129.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by 289cobra1
It is time to buy a Star Diagnosis tool. Trying to diagnosis problems and solve them without randomly replacing parts is worth investment. Specifically I want to be able to diagnosis the ABC system as well as top malfunctions. Which one would work best on a 2004 R230 and would it work on my 1997 R129.
FWIW........

If you have not seen or know of the following site; www.mhaauto.com

This is "The" site for coding.

There is a thread on that site titled ;

"SD Connect C4 -- avoiding, garbage"
https://*******.com/Thread-SD-Connec...oiding-garbage

It is a very long thread 77 postings started by an electrical engineer{who designs circuit boards] That was looking for a system for his vehicle.

I would suggest reviewing this tread, do not know if you can read it as the site has a membership fee/cost was $25.00 one time cost, to be able to download{software, keys, manuals, etc] and post. The cost in my opinion was well worth it. Save me the cost and many possible issues with a "copy" unit. And this is the place to get assistance and help with any coding/programing for any vehicle or equipment. having a motor with an ECU.

After reviewing/reading this thread{took over 4 hours of reading] is the reason why I am not purchasing a "copy" multiplexer . It appears ANY copy multiplexer from China will need "rework / re-flow" at some point.

In my opinion I will only consider and purchase a real ACTIA multiplexer.

if you are not aware the real unit where manufactured by ACTIA. Models where C3, C4, C5 {no longer manufactured] the current unit is a C6 I think the new C6 is manufactured by BOSCH.

Regards

Joseph~
The following 2 users liked this post by Joseph~:
edd333 (12-09-2020), TooManyIDs (04-23-2021)
Old 05-09-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
SD Connect C4 and and new SD Connect C4 plus covering +2016 command direct programming is the best way to go
You just need to know where to find the 1:1 clones with military chips
this is the only device covering 1995 to present 2020+ With the Xentry system I build many members and workshops here use
It's like hotels, from 5 stars to one. depends of what you want, don't dream...if you want the real thing, no problems spend a little more..
Look at what a real genuine Windows 10 licence cost by itself. of course, if you prefer running illegal bootloader windows... I DO NOT
Always better to have or have had a system to talk about it instead of "I read, I've seen" no need to repeat what others say, we already have parrots for that.
If you want THE BEST OR NOTHING
https://mybestdealers.com

Last edited by pmercury; 05-12-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: v
The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
edd333 (12-09-2020), NHSl550 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Which one would work best on a 2004 R230 and would it work on my 1997 R129.
Yesterday an owner of a 2004 SL600 asked what I recommend, and this is what I wrote:

In the past practically everyone does this: They buy a multiplexer, cables, and hard drive with software from alixpress.com for $250 and then they buy a Dell D630 laptop from eBay for about $50. The hard drive is pre-configured for the Dell, so apart from having to generate a few software keys this option is completely plug-and-play. But now it is difficult to find an offering where the software is pre-configured for a Dell; consequently, the software is on a hard drive running under a virtual machine. That makes it compatible with any PC, but the software runs slower. It may also require a bit of configuring -- or not -- I don't know, since I've never gone that route. Here is one offering that isn't the cheapest, but it has well-established feedback, and that may be worth paying I slight premium for.

One way that surely would have the "faster" software is to buy a package which includes the Dell. Typically you end up paying $200 for a $50 laptop, but that isn't the case here. The price is just $298, though the cost of shipping is not mentioned.

Any hard drive you get will have the diagnostic software, the EPC parts catalog, the WIS for disassembly/assembly instructions, and the wiring diagrams. If you buy something and the software runs slow because it is under a virtual machine or some other reason, I have a 2008 release of Star Diagnosis which runs fast, and it is available as a free download.
--------------------
Since you have a 1997 car, Cobra, you need an application which is no longer commonly included with software purchases: HHT-Win. It may be possible to download it from here. The 2008 free software absolutely includes it.

Last edited by bobterry99; 05-09-2020 at 02:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bobterry99:
alexisvx (05-10-2020), chad500sl (05-11-2020), Dave3359 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
SL600, SL500, SLK350
Bob, nice post! You are a great asset to this community. Thanks for your support.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Plays With Cars
I attempted to go down the Aliexpress route and it was a total disaster. Ordered the full setup including the Dell 630 to avoid a virtual machine from a seller recommended by several forum members, waited a week, then received a message from the seller that the shipping had gone up by $41. After a day of discussion I attempted to pay the additional $41 for shipping and the Aliexpress website flagged my purchase and required that I provide a copy of my credit card statement and driver's license. No way in hell I'm going to provide a Chinese website with any more personal information than my credit card number. So now I'm looking for another source.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:31 AM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
I attempted to go down the Aliexpress route and it was a total disaster. Ordered the full setup including the Dell 630 to avoid a virtual machine from a seller recommended by several forum members, waited a week, then received a message from the seller that the shipping had gone up by $41. After a day of discussion I attempted to pay the additional $41 for shipping and the Aliexpress website flagged my purchase and required that I provide a copy of my credit card statement and driver's license. No way in hell I'm going to provide a Chinese website with any more personal information than my credit card number. So now I'm looking for another source.
My comments, opinions and what I did.

This is one reason I would not purchase a copy multiplexer.

Second reason, after reading the entire posting titled;

"SD Connect C4 -- avoiding, garbage"
Posted at;
https://*******.com/Thread-SD-Connec...oiding-garbage

If you look you can locate REAL Mercedes Benz Multiplexer, used units at reasonable cost.

That is what I did, acquired a real Mercedes Benz multiplexer, a C3{yes, the older unit] for less than $400.00 delivered with the cables

Acquired the correct tablet{the unit that where sold to dealers with Mercedes Benz Branding] the Engineer's Xentry tablet, these where Panasonic Toughpad CF-D1 Mk2, NOT the Mk1 version, a reconditioned Grade A unit, 13.8" touchscreen, 500GB SSD, 8GB RAM and bluetooth for $460.00 delivered

And was fortunate to locate and acquire the Original factory Mercedes Benz DVD's {still in the packaging] of Mercedes Benz Star Diagnosis software{NOT a BOOTLEG copy] version 09-10-11/2014 which is the correct version for the C3 multiplexer, for less than $120.00 delivered.

My vehicles are 2007 and 2008 and the system I put together will fully software service all vehicle to 2014

If you look you can locate real units, not the worthless copies.

Regards

Joseph~

Last edited by Joseph~; 05-12-2020 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TooManyIDs (04-23-2021)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 AM

2008 R320 CDI 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pmercury
[SNIP}....Look at what a real genuine Windows 10 licence cost by itself. of course, if you prefer running illegal bootloader windows... I DO NOT......{SNIP]
Tell the rest of the story

You do sell / include a BOOTLEG copy of the Mercedes Diagnostics Software as you supply this software with no license.

I am sure Mercedes Benz would like to have a conversation with you about this issue.

You are fully aware what a real genuine Mercedes Diagnostics Software license cost by itself, just under $4,000.00 per year.

https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/purchasehwsw.jsp

Last edited by Joseph~; 05-12-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL500 2009
pmercury Quote

... "where to find the 1:1 clones with military chips"

Are you sure? ... "Military Chips" ??
The following users liked this post:
Joseph~ (05-26-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by DavidCA
pmercury Quote

... "where to find the 1:1 clones with military chips"

Are you sure? ... "Military Chips" ??
Yes, we call these two chips like that as they are also used in military equipments. Rugged laptops etc It's a term "military grade"
also, the devices having these brands chips are all ok as only 2 factories produce them and are well known

My software comes directly from MB, I download it direct from MB servers in front of you and I also have a real dealer account

I am not going to answer attacks anymore
After 2 years work on building the BEST Xentry system ever, 100% crazy happy users, hundreds of reviews
I a so happy all these user never stop recommending me everywhere
just read some reviews, mybestdealers.com many are MBworld members you can find in this forum

It's always better to read what people that have had them all think of it:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post8101695

reviews here

Last edited by pmercury; 07-11-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL500 2009
I see, and which two chips do you call like that? Where in military equipment are they used?

Last edited by DavidCA; 05-13-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E500 Wagon 2004 (2020 purchase fixer upper); E500 Sedan 2006 (2017); GLC43 AMG '17 Renntech
Thank You For The Helpful Information - Etiquette/Grace

I wanted to thank those who took time to respond to the original question. For no reason better than self-indulgence, I had in mind purchasing some type of electronics and software that will allow me (in all likelihood) to do extra damage to my car before I go crawling to a repair shop on my hands and needs, etc. Well, okay, I sometimes am capable of fixing things; it is just that my family seems to only remember the mishaps. In retirement, I am planning to produce a youtube channel with my son entitled "How Not to Repair Things," and if we are funny enough . . . My gratitude for the information is serious, however.

I am new to MBWorld in that I only this month took time to register but I have been stealing tips here for at least a few years. I am pausing to add this extra bit with hope that it won't get immediately deleted. With a new used MB purchase, I have taken time to read through a lot of posts in different MBWorld forums trying to learn as much as I can about related issues and resources. It has been great fun for the most part. The exception is all the bickering - some old but much recent - I have encountered. I am a guest here obviously. I am also a chemical engineer and patent attorney with a passion for technology and a pride for the manner in which technologists graciously share their knowledge. Reading about how a new or experienced approached a problem is pure joy with learning in the process. What is with all the criticism? And, it does seem to be the more senior members getting perhaps a little too passionate or grumpy about issues. It is possible I believe to treat each exchange of posts with the idea that those you may be communicating with could be under great strain from a sick relative, lost job, etc. What is so important about the star diagnostics issue that we have to pick one members use of "military" adjective? Is the MB licensed versus bootleg issue so important that it warrants a multiple posts which reflect it as an emotional issue? Again, before typing out an attack on someone's sensibilities on an issue why not let grace work? Senior members and moderators, I can imagine you are mighty tired of seeing your awesome online forum polluted with unnecessary new threads, posting to the wrong sessions, or replying to a very old post, but my goodness, isn't there a more polite way to correct misguided posts such as this one? It's not cancer you all are dealing with but information about a brand of cars. I should point out that I don't own an SL-Class but instead an two W211 E500s mid 2000s (one sedan/one wagon) and a recent Renntech(sp?) modified GLC-43 AMG monstrosity my sons talked their mom into purchasing when I was out of town on business. Therefore, I have come to understand that I should not be posting in this SL thread/forum and ask for forgiveness in advance. Now that that's over can I join the quarrel about which Star whatever whatever is better or has actual bona fide "military chips" or whether I should have started a new thread called "ungracious new guy whining about lack of grace on MBWorld?" . . . .

Last edited by sweseman; 07-29-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
I thought I would put my 2 cents worth. After trying various low cost OBD2 readers, I decided to buy one of those Chinese bootleg MB Star units. The problem with most diagnostics tools on the market is the lack of component level testing/control. Even the $500 "bi-directional" units will only do so much. My guess is that, in order to be able to control/read sensors and valves, you need to have a professional grade unit (like from Snap-On, VCI, Metronix) or the OEM diagnostics/service tool. I'm sure there are more expensive retail OBD2 readers that can do some component test/control that the MB Star can, but not all. They all seem to come up short of what the MB Star is capable of. For instance, when trying to troubleshoot a vacuum leak in the fuel vapor vent system, you need to be able to open/close the purge valve and the vent valve. You could use a 9-12 volt battery, but it is a lot more convenient if your diagnostics tool can do it. Seemingly simple feature is missing from 80% of the OBD2 tools on the market. So I bought a MB Star C3 from OBD2tool.com and a Dell D630 on Ebay. I figure if it saves me from 2 dealership visits it pays for itself. The going rate for diagnosing your vehicle is $350, at the local dealership. That doesn't include repair. Being able to figure out what is wrong, and then replace the faulty part with a used one off Ebay just once ended up saving me more than what I paid for the Chinese made bootleg MB Star. Granted, I bought the older C3, which is ideal for my 2005 C55 AMG. It uses DAS, not Xentry, and only a few components need coding-which I'm not able to perform. I've had it about 6 months, and haven't had any issues. Even if it ends up being bricked and not useable after a year, I feel I've at least got my money's worth. Their tech support said that only the C5/C6 versions need to be subscription updated, and the DAS/C3 doesn't, as Mercedes has stopped supporting it. Told me to send them a email if it stops working. What more can you ask for for $450? If price wasn't an issue, I would buy the genuine Star. But, it just isn't feasible for me. I'm a DIYer, with a car that would otherwise be unaffordable to own.

I still take the car in for occasional visits to Mercedes. Just had another key made recently. The service advisor commented on how great of a shape the car is in, and told me to call if I ever want to sell or trade it in. Can't get a better compliment than that from a dealership.

Last edited by cbird805; 03-10-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 PM
SPONSOR

Received 777 Likes on 603 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

forum members and worldwide workshops say:

100% 5 stars rating since the beginning
Still hesitating if you should spend a little more to get the best ?

https://benzninja.com

Old 03-11-2021, 03:20 PM

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
If you purchase the Service of BenzNinga you will not only get Professional Knowledge and Experience you will also be advised what equipment to purchase for your system. Along with actual control of your vehicle anywhere in the world. So you buy a computer,you buy the cables and mulitplexer as recommended by Peter BenzNinga. Then you purchase his lifetime service for less than one time to the dealer for a diagnostic. No one unless you are an expert can even come close to this. Including all of those other systems that fall far short. Ask yourself a question. Why are so many posters relaying their horrible experience with garbage from China and not one member of BenzNinga have only great things to say. I have yet to read one complaint. So spend your money where you want. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth. BenzNinga is a gift to all of us trying to stay out of the dealership.

Last edited by Gene Fiorot; 03-11-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by Gene Fiorot:
2007 SL600 (09-21-2021), BenzNinja (03-11-2021), TooManyIDs (04-23-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 03:28 AM

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts
2007 SL550, 2006 E350
Originally Posted by Gene Fiorot
If you purchase the Service of BenzNinga you will not only get Professional Knowledge and Experience you will also be advised what equipment to purchase for your system. Along with actual control of your vehicle anywhere in the world. So you buy a computer,you buy the cables and mulitplexer as recommended by Peter BenzNinga. Then you purchase his lifetime service for less than one time to the dealer for a diagnostic. No one unless you are an expert can even come close to this. Including all of those other systems that fall far short. Ask yourself a question. Why are so many posters relaying their horrible experience with garbage from China and not one member of BenzNinga have only great things to say. I have yet to read one complaint. So spend your money where you want. But don't look a gift horse in the mouth. BenzNinga is a gift to all of us trying to stay out of the dealership.
I totally agree with Gene on his comments! Since I purchased the system from Peter (BenzNinja) a year ago, my Benz ownership experience split on Before and After.

Before Peter:
1) I had a crappy system bought off eBay from Chinese seller. That system had many limitations and was breaking very often. Fixing it was a money pit; I had to pay $25-50 to the seller to fix that clumsy version of Xentry.
2) My SL550 was in stock condition and I was in a constant search how to improve it.

After Peter:
1) I got a system where I could not find any flaws or limitations, it’s indestructible, it just doesn’t break! And works perfectly being connected to Internet, unlike Chinese system being blocked online while running Xentry.
2) The tools included in Peters install allow me to customize my car to a totally different level. “A” mode in transmission is just one example.
3) ABC update that Peter offers brings the driving experience to an eye-popping level, there is a separate thread on it.
4) I can call Peter 7 days a week and have a level of support and knowledge that could not be found in most of dealership technicians.

I could go on and on, but hopefully I delivered my message))

The following 6 users liked this post by vkovaler888:
2007 SL600 (09-21-2021), BenzNinja (03-12-2021), Gene Fiorot (03-12-2021), MBKLUE (03-17-2021), SLcharge (03-13-2021), TooManyIDs (04-23-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:41 PM

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts
09 SL500, 03 E320 CDI Wagon
Peters tool is the best around and the best tool in my workshop. I don't care if Mercedes likes it or not, If they where up to the job in their workshops, the demand for Peters service would not be in such high demand. Also their stupid way of work, only replacing parts, not doing any repairs are just a way to increase the cost for owners. Peters tool not only allow you to identify problems, search for spareparts, look up work instructions, but it also allows you to set free upgrades that MB charges exorbitant money for. The only way we / you can keep those older models on the road, is to tinker with them our self If we had to go to the dealers workshop every time something is up, cost would pull these wonderful cars out of the marked, them ending at a scrap yard.
If you are the wrenching type of guy / girl, do your self a favor and get the install from Peter. You will never look back once you learn how to use it.

Last edited by SLcharge; 03-13-2021 at 03:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SLcharge:
2007 SL600 (09-21-2021), BenzNinja (03-13-2021), Gene Fiorot (03-13-2021)