SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2017 SL DOG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,748 Likes on 2,143 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by nycphotography
The main reason I would consider a GTS over an SL is: You don't see them EVER in the wild.

The GTS is a car that will always draw a crowd (without being a Ferrarri or god forbid a Lambo).

An AMG SL, while having the "nice car" appeal, doesn't quite take it to the "what the hell is that?" effect.
I live in Newport Beach, California, where there are so many guys who will do whatever they can to be the top dog in the "mine is bigger than yours" flashy car food fight that rages daily on Pacific Coast Highway and in the trendy restaurant parking lots.

Buying a car to stand out or to "draw a crowd" is what I wanted in my 20's & 30's. Now older and wiser, I drive what pleases ME. With that in mind, I am giving serious consideration to going back to Porsche, since they will build a car the way I WANT IT and not force me to take the car the way THEY think I should have it, the way MB does. What is more luxurious than being able to order a car EXACTLY as you want it? I want a solid color white car without a ridiculous glass roof and with an ALL red or tan interior. Really, is that too much to ask for? Porsche says "yes sir." MB says "go pound salt." Tell me this isn't a gorgeous car.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I live in Newport Beach, California, where there are so many guys who will do whatever they can to be the top dog in the "mine is bigger than yours" flashy car food fight that rages daily on Pacific Coast Highway and in the trendy restaurant parking lots.

Buying a car to stand out or to "draw a crowd" is what I wanted in my 20's & 30's. Now older and wiser, I drive what pleases ME. With that in mind, I am giving serious consideration to going back to Porsche, since they will build a car the way I WANT IT and not force me to take the car the way THEY think I should have it, the way MB does. What is more luxurious than being able to order a car EXACTLY as you want it? I want a solid color white car without a ridiculous glass roof and with an ALL red or tan interior. Really, is that too much to ask for? Porsche says "yes sir." MB says "go pound salt." Tell me this isn't a gorgeous car.

I think what ever floats your boat is the right choice for anyone choosing whatever they are choosing, it's strictly a personal choice that may not apply to the next person, so if you like a white car with red interior then that's a great choice for you. If someone else likes a car that stands out more, or a particular styling, then that's a great choice for that person. Some like chocolate, some vanilla but as long as the person eating it likes it, well that's all that matters
Old 04-09-2016, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63

Buying a car to stand out or to "draw a crowd" is what I wanted in my 20's & 30's. Now older and wiser, I drive what pleases ME.

Tell me this isn't a gorgeous car.
Notice I'm not driving a GTS?

I'm not a fan of the white Porsche, but you're not buying it to get in my pants so it's all good. lol
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Steinhart
I think what ever floats your boat is the right choice for anyone choosing whatever they are choosing, it's strictly a personal choice that may not apply to the next person, so if you like a white car with red interior then that's a great choice for you. If someone else likes a car that stands out more, or a particular styling, then that's a great choice for that person. Some like chocolate, some vanilla but as long as the person eating it likes it, well that's all that matters
Agree totally. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it upsets me that MB won't accommodate such simple requests.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Agree totally. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it upsets me that MB won't accommodate such simple requests.
ahh, yes, agree, there are several things I don't like about MB.... ok make that a lot of things, but the final tally is still better than the other cars I've looked at

I drove the new 911 turbo s the other day, I like the car a lot, was a little too stiff of a ride and seat bolsters were a little too firm for my comfort, but otherwise really a thrill to drive, very nice car
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 359 Likes on 205 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
You can order a GTS that is all white without a glass roof. No problem there. However you cannot get a solid color interior. But I sure think that the GTS is a much more striking and beautiful car than the see-one-on-every-corner 911. Ultimately this is all a matter of taste and is a perfectly personal decision. And, there is no accounting for taste.

Last edited by California John; 04-09-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Any idea when we'll see base prices?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Version 5 anyone?

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Here is the latest version. I had to reduce the file size to fit the forum requirements, so the pics will be a bit fuzzier.

Enjoy!
Thanks

Now that one can build and price on the website I am guessing there is a new version.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Any news?

Wolfman......When is she coming?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,340 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by branmin
Wolfman......When is she coming?
I don't know. Am quite aggravated actually...

There has been a significant delay at the factory. The car was and still is in B4 status, which means 2 days from production for the last 6 weeks.

The Vin number has been locked down for weeks also.

I know there was a patent issue with the Airscarf that Mercedes lost in Germany so that could have caused a delay but so far no good explanation from MBUSA.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Thx Wolfman. And if you don't know, nobody does and that is why I have asked you as you were so (well reasonably so) confident of receiving by now or early August and I thought that was optimistic..

I am getting fed up now with MB's higher than high almighty stance and feel for $125K they are taking the ****. And then when it finally does appear, we have no idea what issues they have..so I have backed out anyway the last time we spoke and will wait to see in person the car and yours and others comments, unless I go and splurge on something way over the top which I'm inclined to do at times when I get impatient.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thx Wolfman. And if you don't know, nobody does and that is why I have asked you as you were so (well reasonably so) confident of receiving by now or early August and I thought that was optimistic..

I am getting fed up now with MB's higher than high almighty stance and feel for $125K they are taking the ****. And then when it finally does appear, we have no idea what issues they have..so I have backed out anyway the last time we spoke and will wait to see in person the car and yours and others comments, unless I go and splurge on something way over the top which I'm inclined to do at times when I get impatient.
I know that some will say that this is quite a stretch, but I feel that all of these sorts of problems stem in part from MB trying to be everything to everyone. When you look at the staggering number of models they are offering now, especially at the lower end of the MB market, to me, it just doesn't make sense and I truly believe that the customers for the high end cars are being taken for granted and not being catered to as we were in years past. The dealerships are overwhelmed, to the point where pretty much anyone on these boards knows way more about the cars than almost anyone working there. When we take our S Class & SL cars in for service, we are greeted by long lines, throngs of C's & CLA's, waiting rooms full of screaming kids and employees that are showing signs of way too much stress. MB should make E Class cars & above. If they want to make lesser vehicles, those should be sold under another name, built by another division and sold by different dealers. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I know where you are coming from. Dealers are so spoiled; very few work hard for a sale. Many barely know their product and typically just don't care.
It's really not an MB issue. This is all across the board. Funny enough, when all car makes are compared, MB has the top spot for buying experience with Tesla being last.

That said, the reason I had been optimistic is that I found MB's production codes quite accurate in the past. If it said 9 days or 2 days to production, it would be built on that particular day.

Hold-ups usually would occur afterwards at port in the US where a car would sit but not be released.
After all, this is only a facelift and it was introduced last November in the US for release in spring.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
I was indeed considering a 2017 SL but I wanted the car before summer and the uncertainty steered me away. That, coupled with the degraded experience at the closest dealer on our prior car(E) drove me to Jaguar. I love the F-Type R that I now have!
Larry
Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 AM

2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
I ordered a '17 SL550 in late March (Iridium Silver/Bengal Red) and I was the first in line to get one at the largest MB dealer here in Houston. The car was built the first week of May (30 days ahead of schedule) and arrived at the port in Brunswick, Georgia on June 9th and has been sitting there ever since because, according to my dealer, MB cannot release any '17 model year cars until final emissions certification is received from the EPA and they are being very tough (thanks to the cheaters at VW). The dealer's MB rep is telling them that they still expect a July "launch" date when they can start releasing cars to the dealers from the port, but that is still not 100% confirmed.

Anyone else out there in the same boat and getting the same story? Seems a little strange since there were no changes to the SL550 engine from '16 to '17, but I don't see any other reason for MB to be holding cars at the port.

Last edited by HouTexMB; 07-14-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HouTexMB
I ordered a '17 SL550 in late March (Iridium Silver/Bengal Red) and I was the first in line to get one at the largest MB dealer here in Houston. The car was built the first week of May (30 days ahead of schedule) and arrived at the port in Brunswick, Georgia on June 9th and has been sitting there ever since because, according to my dealer, MB cannot release any '17 model year cars until final emissions certification is received from the EPA and they are being very tough (thanks to the cheaters at VW). The dealer's MB rep is telling them that they still expect a July "launch" date when they can start releasing cars to the dealers from the port, but that is still not 100% confirmed.

Anyone else out there in the same boat and getting the same story? Seems a little strange since there were no changes to the SL550 engine from '16 to '17, but I don't see any other reason for MB to be holding cars at the port.
This is the exact timing that I expected for our car as well. Ours is the first allocation as well.
Can you list the exact specs of your build? I like to check if there was anything in our order that could have created a delay.
Thanks

Btw. I know of a couple S63 cabriolets that are held up at port since June
Old 07-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Given that the summers are short in MN and our time to drive the car less this year, I am pondering of not even taking the SL and instead wait for the AMG GT roadster.

That will be a better car to drive and is already being tested. That would mean waiting until another year or so...

Old 07-14-2016, 12:43 PM

2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
This is the exact timing that I expected for our car as well. Ours is the first allocation as well.
Can you list the exact specs of your build? I like to check if there was anything in our order that could have created a delay.
Thanks

Btw. I know of a couple S63 cabriolets that are held up at port since June

Here are my specs:

775 Iridium Silver Metallic
807 Bengal Red/Black Napa Leather
H73 Carbon Fiber Trim
L5C Multifunction sports leather steering wheel
SPC Special Order
U12 Floormats
U25 Illuminated Door Sills
068 Wheel Locking Bolts
267 Badging Deviation
415 Panorama Roof
499 AIRSCARF Pre-Assembly
788 19" AMG Multi-Spoke Alloy Wheels
883 Soft Close Doors
91U Black Headliner
997 Driver Assistance Package

This is right off the screen shot from the MB ordering system sent to me by my dealer on 6/9/16 showing the VIN and also indicating that it arrived at the Brunswick, Georgia port on the Columbia Highway vessel on 6/9/16 (last event logged and current status was "D10 6/9/16 VPC RCVD"). My dealer told me that they also have an S63 cabriolet waiting at the port along with my car.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here are my specs:

775 Iridium Silver Metallic
807 Bengal Red/Black Napa Leather
H73 Carbon Fiber Trim
L5C Multifunction sports leather steering wheel
SPC Special Order
U12 Floormats
U25 Illuminated Door Sills
068 Wheel Locking Bolts
267 Badging Deviation
415 Panorama Roof
499 AIRSCARF Pre-Assembly
788 19" AMG Multi-Spoke Alloy Wheels
883 Soft Close Doors
91U Black Headliner
997 Driver Assistance Package

This is right off the screen shot from the MB ordering system sent to me by my dealer on 6/9/16 showing the VIN and also indicating that it arrived at the Brunswick, Georgia port on the Columbia Highway vessel on 6/9/16 (last event logged and current status was "D10 6/9/16 VPC RCVD"). My dealer told me that they also have an S63 cabriolet waiting at the port along with my car.
Interesting to see the 499 AIRSCARF Pre-Assembly option. Didn't see that on our sheet. Will get an updated one...

Air-scarf better work here as the patent issue was supposed to impact only German sales and has actually been resolved in June.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-14-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Given that the summers are short in MN and our time to drive the car less this year, I am pondering of not even taking the SL and instead wait for the AMG GT roadster.

That will be a better car to drive and is already being tested. That would mean waiting until another year or so...

Yes I agree.......was looking at the jag today but it just doesn't do it for me......the problem is what other car under say 150K has the same luxurious interior and sleek looks as the 550 or GT Roadster? can't find it. The vette looks great(have a C6) but its still crappy inside. The Viper needs a racetrack and is damn uncomfortable..what is there.....?

ok for a bit more, well a fair bit more we have the Bentley..not for me....and then we are in Ferrari territory..................hmmm.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I agree.......was looking at the jag today but it just doesn't do it for me......the problem is what other car under say 150K has the same luxurious interior and sleek looks as the 550 or GT Roadster? can't find it. The vette looks great(have a C6) but its still crappy inside. The Viper needs a racetrack and is damn uncomfortable..what is there.....?

ok for a bit more, well a fair bit more we have the Bentley..not for me....and then we are in Ferrari territory..................hmmm.
I'm in the exact, same dilemma. Thought about a new Porsche Targa, but honestly, I really prefer comfort over performance. Looking--seriously--at a Bentley, but there is supposedly a new car coming in a year or so and parting with $270K+ for a car that will look dated within a year doesn't sound appealing. Depending on a business deal I have pending, I'd love a new Rolls Dawn, but that's $400K and I'm afraid my long dead father might rise from his grave and strangle me. Soooooo, I'm giving serious consideration to doing a short term lease on a new S550 Cabriolet, just to tide me over while I decide if I'm going to take a big, British plunge. It will be comfortable, luxurious and it's a brand new model, so what the heck. I just wish MB would get a little more exciting in the colors they offer. A brand new, S Class drop top and it's still 50 shades of gray. They should really expand the Designo color choices, for both the interior & exterior, IMO.

Last edited by Streamliner; 07-14-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

There are really no great alternatives to the SL. The car has a particular niche in a tiny market. While I haven't been a fan of the R231 front-end, the car itself is tremendously enjoyable to use and drive.

By far the best convertible in the market when it comes to top down driving. A classic fast and comfortable cruiser with good drive dynamics, great structural rigidity and great airflow around the cabin; you can go can 160mph without getting aggravated by the wind. Great interior/exterior quality and dramatically faster than our S550...

The F-type is too cheap feeling everywhere IMO.

The Bentley Continental GT Conv. was actually a let-down to me. Besides being an ancient platform due for renewal, the car actually doesn't drive nice. It has a stiff suspension, somewhat fake sounding sporty exhaust which on this car is actually distracting, so-so steering and the seats are comfortable but not very supportive (love the side bolsters on the SL).
Without a doubt, it is a beautifully made car, but too old for me. Maybe in 20 years.
That said, I have been offered lease deals on these that are unreal. That car is cheaper to lease than a $140k AMG GTS...

Ferrari California or McLaren don't look like the comfortable daily drivers and I never cared for the Porsche 911. BMW 6 series is outdated and about to be replaced. My wife doesn't like the Audi R8/Lambo options...

So I looked at Aston Martin. Love the Vanquish but not at $330k; perhaps the upcoming DB11 convertible. The DB9 sounds great but feels so slow and old against the SL. Same for Maserati.

On a positive note, the SL has finally been build and should now makes its way to the US
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 PM

On a positive note, the SL has finally been build and should now makes its way to the US

Did you happen to find out if your car will be released from the US port of entry to your dealer when it arrives or if it will be held up over emissions certification? I'm still getting no definitive information from my dealer about when mine will be released from the Brunswick, Georgia port.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Did you happen to find out if your car will be released from the US port of entry to your dealer when it arrives or if it will be held up over emissions certification? I'm still getting no definitive information from my dealer about when mine will be released from the Brunswick, Georgia port.
I have no information on that but hope to hear some more soon. Will post when I do.

Historically, cars are held back at port when there is too much inventory of the prior model year, but that would not be the case for the S-Class convertibles.

Either way, the emissions story sounds a bit weak.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:54 AM

I have no information on that but hope to hear some more soon. Will post when I do.

Historically, cars are held back at port when there is too much inventory of the prior model year, but that would not be the case for the S-Class convertibles.

Either way, the emissions story sounds a bit weak.

I agree. The only emissions issues that I'm reading about on the internet that are holding up cars concern the diesels. I wish someone could shed some light on this--it's a bummer knowing that my car is baking in the hot Georgia sun in the storage lot at the port since June 9th. I've already had to extend the lease on my '14 SL550 for 3 months waiting on this car and the lack of information just makes things worse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: 2017 SL DOG