SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:51 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
MB gambled Dolby 7.1 would become the world standard for broadcast radio and it just never happened. Management at MB is just too stubborn to acknowledge their blunder and refuse to make the ridiculously simple modification to the existing SL's audio system. Your rear speakers will work just fine if your willing to shell out $80+ bucks for one of the extremely limited audio DVDs that are available on the used market.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
‘15 SL550, ‘18 M5, ‘76 Eldorado
Again, incomprehensible engineering. I feel bad for anyone who has a 2017 or newer where I am told MB locked out access to the fader enabling in the EM. I would have to say, although I am loving this car even in the short time I have had it, I would seriously doubt purchasing a next gen SL with this issue. Before enabling the fader control the stereo sounded nearly only as good as my 76 Eldorado’s stereo, which, as you can imagine, kind of sux.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marco545:
Dino333 (09-23-2020), fun33 (05-03-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
The next gen SL is likely to be a much larger 2+2 vehicle with a folding soft top. Surely it will have a modern audio system with multiple speakers front and rear. That said, I am not a buyer either not because of the audio system but because I don't want to drive a 2+2 convertible with a soft top.
The following 3 users liked this post by rmorin49:
crobb65 (11-16-2020), fun33 (05-03-2020), spinalator (08-11-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2016 SL400 & 2021 C300
Originally Posted by CGohring
All,

I recognize that better speakers and amps are a good way to get better sound. But the OP problem was balancing front/back (fader).

I went through the engineering menu (Search forum for how to activate) the other day and found that the fader option was not active. - I turned it on and voila!, after a reboot, I was now able to move the sound slightly toward the rear, and that did just enough that I don't think I need to add additional amps to the car. - Just throwing it out there as an alternative.
How do you reboot? I found the menu and added fade but it does not show up under Sound in the control system.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2016 SL400 & 2021 C300
Originally Posted by RonNSoCal
How do you reboot? I found the menu and added fade but it does not show up under Sound in the control system.
NEVER MIND, I found out - just turn it off for a little while. Another problem solved thanks to the fine folks on this forum.

Last edited by RonNSoCal; 06-28-2020 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DallasSLFan (04-21-2023)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by rmorin49
What I don't understand is why the rear speaker(s) aren't enabled along with a fader adjustment. I agree the quality of the system isn't very good but why install a speaker and then disable it?
My rear speakers definitely work (standard MB sound system). My hearing is shot but I can still hear them. However, there is no fade as discussed elsewhere and I'd have liked to be able to make them a little louder.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
To you folks who have upgraded your audio systems with an additional amp to power the rear speakers, are your treble and mid-range sounds still harsh and brittle? I have fooled and fooled with the settings on my HK system and have now come to the conclusion that I get the best musical sounds when I have the treble & mid-range controls lowered to the max and the bass to half way or further up.

To you folks who spent the big bucks to upgrade, did you change out the speakers?

I feel that the bass in the car is quite good, but with any volume, the high notes are painful to my ears.

Still trying to figure out just what to do.
bob55 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
This info is from Post #173, but I am re-posting it again in support of Streamliner's post above suggesting that adjusting the output levels 'potentially' improves the sound quality of the HK Sound System in the 231 SL Class...That was certainly the case for me!....

Originally Posted by bob55
For the record, I am satisfied with the Harman Kardon Logic-7 Surround Sound System at this point, and I have no interest in doing any kind of 3rd Party 'upgrade' to the system.

As SL's have no back seat, the system was designed with the front seat driver and passenger in mind, so no, there isn't that much sound coming from the rear speakers other than a bit of the 'surround effect', (low volume 'peripheral sounds'). The main thrust of sound is 'stereo effect sound' and focused towards the seating area of the car, as it was designed to be!

In my opinion, the HK Logic-7 System sounds fine with Sirius XM Radio, (Digital Satellite Music), which is what I listen to almost exclusively now. Full Disclosure: I am not a 'Music Blaster' type of guy by any stretch of imagination!..

Of course, there are always 'subtle adjustments' to be made to 'personalize the system', and as I said previously in Posts #109 and #124, setting the Bass and Treble output levels HIGHER makes a noticeable difference with the HK System. (I have both the treble and the bass levels set to +8 in my 2013 SL 550).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The 2013 HK System for the SL Class is somewhat 'different' than the HK System installed in later year models in that the 2013's have a 6-CD/DVD Player and 3 more speakers, (14 vs 11), so YMMV may apply here. My sound experience, and my setting recommendations, are based solely on the HK System installed in my 2013 SL 550.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the bass output level set to +8, (or higher), you'll know for sure the 231's much-touted 'built-into-the-subframe' SUBWOOFER is operating properly!

Note: While your're in 'Audio Settings', it's also a good idea to check that your Harman Kardon Logic-7 Surround Sound is set to 'ON' as it should be...

Last edited by bob55; 07-26-2020 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
That last point proved to be key for me. I've had my SL for about two months now. About a month ago, I was sitting in the closed car, in my garage, just fiddling with the tone controls while listening to HD FM. I stumbled into the menu that had Logic-7 displayed, and it reminded me of your post where you said 'hey, at least make sure your Logic-7 is activated'. So I clicked on Logic-7 and guess what? It was not activated, So I turned it on, and immediately noticed my sound go from flat 2D to 3D! Now, it was only an ambient effect, to be sure, but it added a definite stage ambience to what had only sounded like an old stereo. Again, a closed car...and I imagine that with the windows or top down it would probably not be very noticeable. The thing is, I'm very conscious of not subjecting others to my sound system when my car's top is down...not to mention that my hearing is so poor that I never have the radio on when the top is down anyway. With all this in mind, and my fear of letting anyone cut into my car's wiring, I find that I can now live with the system, as is.

I have two other complaints about the sound system that bother me much more: 1) I HATE three-channel equalizers. They are wildly inadequate for sorting out system deficiencies, and the one in the SL is no exception...which brings up number 2) The "sub" in this system is no better that the one in my Chevy Volt. It is simply not capable of performing the function of a subwoofer, which is to bring to life those sounds that are so low in frequency that they are properly felt, rather than heard. MB can call it whatever they want, but what the SL has is a two-channel woofer, not a sub. Therefore, I can definitely understand why some would want to add a dedicated sub to the system, and would expect the results to quite pleasing...with proper equalization, of course.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
That last point proved to be key for me. I've had my SL for about two months now. About a month ago, I was sitting in the closed car, in my garage, just fiddling with the tone controls while listening to HD FM. I stumbled into the menu that had Logic-7 displayed, and it reminded me of your post where you said 'hey, at least make sure your Logic-7 is activated'. So I clicked on Logic-7 and guess what? It was not activated, So I turned it on, and immediately noticed my sound go from flat 2D to 3D! Now, it was only an ambient effect, to be sure, but it added a definite stage ambience to what had only sounded like an old stereo. Again, a closed car...and I imagine that with the windows or top down it would probably not be very noticeable. The thing is, I'm very conscious of not subjecting others to my sound system when my car's top is down...not to mention that my hearing is so poor that I never have the radio on when the top is down anyway. With all this in mind, and my fear of letting anyone cut into my car's wiring, I find that I can now live with the system, as is.

I have two other complaints about the sound system that bother me much more: 1) I HATE three-channel equalizers. They are wildly inadequate for sorting out system deficiencies, and the one in the SL is no exception...which brings up number 2) The "sub" in this system is no better that the one in my Chevy Volt. It is simply not capable of performing the function of a subwoofer, which is to bring to life those sounds that are so low in frequency that they are properly felt, rather than heard. MB can call it whatever they want, but what the SL has is a two-channel woofer, not a sub. Therefore, I can definitely understand why some would want to add a dedicated sub to the system, and would expect the results to quite pleasing...with proper equalization, of course.
I also have terrible hearing but some of the nicest hearing aids on the planet. When driving with the top down I Bluetooth from my Iphone to my hearing aids. Problem solved.....
Old 07-27-2020, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I also have terrible hearing but some of the nicest hearing aids on the planet. When driving with the top down I Bluetooth from my Iphone to my hearing aids. Problem solved.....
What about hearing sirens?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Hearing aids don’t block out external noises like headphones so I hear sirens just the same.
Streamliner (07-27-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM

I also have that option with my hearing aids, and have tried it with my iPhone. The first time I received a call, it sounded so much like the guy was standing right in front of me that I freaked out! Fabulous sound quality...but I also found that using the Bluetooth in my hearing aids almost literally sucked the batteries inside out. The feature just doesn't seem to be ready for prime time, as far as battery life...at least on my aids. I probably won't be using the sound system much when the top is down anyway, as I don't use them much anymore in general. Perhaps if it sounded amazing I would use it more, but it is what it is...
Old 07-31-2020, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I also have that option with my hearing aids, and have tried it with my iPhone. The first time I received a call, it sounded so much like the guy was standing right in front of me that I freaked out! Fabulous sound quality...but I also found that using the Bluetooth in my hearing aids almost literally sucked the batteries inside out. The feature just doesn't seem to be ready for prime time, as far as battery life...at least on my aids. I probably won't be using the sound system much when the top is down anyway, as I don't use them much anymore in general. Perhaps if it sounded amazing I would use it more, but it is what it is...
I also rarely listen to music with the top down. I enjoy the whole top down driving experience including the minor wind noise and sound of the engine. My hearing aids are rechargeable and my charger has a internal battery that will charge the aids three times without being plugged in. I can easily go a whole day no matter how I am using them. They also connect through a app to my audiologists office computer and she can make adjustments for me anywhere on the planet as long as there is cell phone service. But just like buying a Mercedes they only come in limited colors....😊
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 Mercedes SL 550, 2022 Infiniti QX80
removed

Last edited by Bill Julyan; 08-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bill Julyan
I don't suggest my solution to everyone, but if you really love audio, replacing the Harman Kardon system with Focal speakers and high quality power amps gives you a truly amazing system. I spent way more than I'd like to divulge, but I love the sound, top down or top up. I almost always stream Tidal music with no compression.
When you say you replaced the “system,” just what, exactly, did you replace? Do you have photos? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 Mercedes SL 550, 2022 Infiniti QX80
removed

Last edited by Bill Julyan; 08-02-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Bill Julyan;8122375]I had a local car audio shop, Cartunes, which is used to working on luxury cars, do all the work. I just selected the components I wanted. In the front are three sets of Focal Utopia M series tweeters and midrange drivers and in the rear are three sets of Focal K series tweeters and midrange drivers. In the footwells are two Match subwoofers. A Zen-M audio integration unit connects the factory head unit to a Helix 12-channel power amp (1 channel for each of the tweeters and midrange drivers) and a Helix 2-channel amp for the subwoofers. There is also a Helix Director remote control (mounted in the console) that allows optimum tuning of the speakers and different sound settings. The only things normally visible are the two tweeters mounted above the dash. The Helix Director is visible if you open the console. The power amps are visible if you lift the floor of the trunk. The sound is wonderful, with top up or down. I can use any music source that you could use with the factory system, but I almost always stream lossless music from my iPhone using Tidal.

This is not an inexpensive solution to the SL550 back speakers problem. This is a very expensive audio system that most people wouldn't consider, but I really love good sound in my cars. I have upgraded sound systems in my Corvette Stingray and my Honda Pilot too, but the one in my SL550 is my favorite.

/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for that explanation. I would not want to put those tweeters in my car, as I try to keep everything looking MB. Can you give us a hint as what this system cost?
Old 08-02-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
...I would not want to put those tweeters in my car, as I try to keep everything looking MB. Can you give us a hint as what this system cost?
I'm with you on the tweeters, and as to his cost...how much was his factory warranty worth? You can put that at the top of the list of cost items. I'm happy for him that he's able to "self-insure" like that...
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Received 142 Likes on 103 Posts
m157 SL63
I'm with you on the tweeters, and as to his cost...how much was his factory warranty worth? You can put that at the top of the list of cost items. I'm happy for him that he's able to "self-insure" like that...
Why would changing the stereo system impact his factory warranty on anything besides the factory stereo system? You have apparently scared him enough that he deleted his post. I suppose if he had some weird electrical issue that MB decides was a downstream impact due to a shoddy stereo install, they'd not cover that, but this all seems like quite a stretch.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just bringing this amazing thread back into play, as I am, once again, thinking of taking the plunge and doing an audio upgrade. Anyone in the greater Orange County, CA area know of an installer who works with “operating room” cleanliness and precision?
Dino333 (09-23-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 11:03 PM

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
AMG SL63
I wanted to add some information to this thread that may help out those who use Apple Car Play for most of your audio.

I stumbled across the following thread a week or so ago while looking for a way to adjust the EQ settings for my IPhone, as I felt like the sound just plain sucked, no matter what I did.

Full disclosure - I have the B&O system in the new SL (had the HK system in the prior car) and both systems pale in comparison to the B&O system in my SQ5.

However, after following the instructions from the link below, and increasing the bass and treble settings for each USB input port, I can confidently state the performance of the B&O is remarkably improved. While the sound stage is still too far forward, I now have significant bass, clear mids and crisp sparkling highs. Not audiophile level, but 8/10ths of my Audi system, which is one of the best OEM units I have ever owned.

So for those of you using Android or Apple inputs - this might take some of the sting out of the system!

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...play-mode.html

rmorin49 (11-04-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:43 PM

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
2014 SL65 AMG, 2018 S560
Just a bit of trivia that may be of interest to this thread. I've been studying the MB shop documents for pre-2017 SL and was looking at the speaker wiring. The drawing shows an engineering change effective 02/06/14 that removes the tweeters from the left/center/right rear speaker positions. Prior to that there was a separate tweeter along with the speaker for each rear position. Seems like a cost cutting measure, but then again maybe the new speakers have an integrated tweeter.

Or maybe the rear sound is actually better without tweeters? I have a 2013 SL, so it should have the rear tweeters, and the fader control is enabled. I've found that some odd sounds can come out of the rear speakers when playing music if you set the fader too far to the back. That was with Sirius XM.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:04 AM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Likely at least 50% of the problem is the terrible quality of the Sirius signal. That said, I listen exclusively (although reluctantly) to Sirius whenever I'm in the car. Since I'm either listening to a news channel or '50s or '60s music, ultra-high quality audio simply isn't that much of an issue. The biggest complaint almost all of us have remains MB being totally aware of the inadequacies of the audio in the SL since 2013 and just refusing to correct or make any improvements in the system for 8 years.
whiteongrey (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
+1 - I stopped using sirius in 2015 because it's sounds terrible on high grade systems. It's the lowest grade feed anywhere. Now just streaming from tunein, tidal, spotify or digital files over 256 bit is a huge difference still no hi to but good enough.

Originally Posted by fun33
Likely at least 50% of the problem is the terrible quality of the Sirius signal. That said, I listen exclusively (although reluctantly) to Sirius whenever I'm in the car. Since I'm either listening to a news channel or '50s or '60s music, ultra-high quality audio simply isn't that much of an issue. The biggest complaint almost all of us have remains MB being totally aware of the inadequacies of the audio in the SL since 2013 and just refusing to correct or make any improvements in the system for 8 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!