SL/R231: Comfort Vs curve?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 SL500
Comfort Vs curve?

Hi everyone,

i m trying to make sense of the different driving modes on the car, sports and sports+ Are self explanatory but I don t get Curve and comfort mode.

I have an SL 500 (550 in US) new shape with ABC. When I bought the car the dealership explained that the comfort mode is for your every day driving and more economical whereas the Curve mode will keep the car straight and poised in sharp turns which I assumed was meant for a sportier drive. At the time i didn t get why the curve system wouldn't automatically be set in sports or sports + but didn't dwell on it.

Now i ve been playing around with the different modes and noticed that the Curve is actually more economical then comfort. When you start the car in curve the engine doesn't rev on engine start and when you go in settings the engine is set to Eco. I ve also noticed better mpg in curve on single trips then in Comfort. From this I now deduct that the stability curve offers lends the car to be more comfortable but in that case why have a comfort mode at all?

Tried to google difference between curve and comfort but it doesn't tell give much then the description offered by Mercedes.

can anyone make sense of this?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017/sl-400
I hope others have a better answer

I don't have the curve option and therefore no curve mode

But it seems that others are asking the same question.

And frankly, I think Mercedes-Benz could simplify its settings, combining Curve/Eco and Comfort. And comfort is where the SL excels, not a huge surprise considering the car's maker. The adaptive suspension added a layer of sponge between me and the road, soaking up bumps and the vibrations from rough pavement. As one Mercedes-Benz representative said to me, the SL is designed for cruising.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
My understanding that curve is actually "curve tilt". This can only be used in comfort mode. It leans the car slightly into the bend (like a motorbike) and makes the ride more comfortable (less noticeable G forces) - specially on long sweeping bends taken at speed.