SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Any solution to the fugly orange in the headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder / 2019 BMW X5 M Sport
Any solution to the fugly orange in the headlights?

I am picking up a 2015 SL63 this week and the one thing that has always bothered me about the headlights on the 231 is the orange reflector found in the headlights. I don't want to buy Euro headlights, but has anyone successfully figured out a relatively simple solution to getting rid of the orange or hiding it?

Let me know please...
Old 05-30-2017, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SlammedM3
I am picking up a 2015 SL63 this week and the one thing that has always bothered me about the headlights on the 231 is the orange reflector found in the headlights. I don't want to buy Euro headlights, but has anyone successfully figured out a relatively simple solution to getting rid of the orange or hiding it?

Let me know please...
So you are changing from the 2017 SL450 to a used SL63?

Re. the headlights, so solution besides replacement AFAIK.

Also, are you referring to the orange eyebrow vs. the Euro white ones or just the orange side reflector?

I always liked the Euro headlights better for the eyebrow but really haven't heard of anyone complaining about the orange reflector in the headlights. On older MB's many were complaining about the old side markers in the bumpers which could easily be painted.

Opening the headlights will be a bigger deal. Changing the eyebrow would be worth it
Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder / 2019 BMW X5 M Sport
Originally Posted by Wolfman
So you are changing from the 2017 SL450 to a used SL63?

Re. the headlights, so solution besides replacement AFAIK.

Also, are you referring to the orange eyebrow vs. the Euro white ones or just the orange side reflector?

I always liked the Euro headlights better for the eyebrow but really haven't heard of anyone complaining about the orange reflector in the headlights. On older MB's many were complaining about the old side markers in the bumpers which could easily be painted.

Opening the headlights will be a bigger deal. Changing the eyebrow would be worth it

Yes!
an opportunity presented itself that I just couldn't turn down. I wanted the 63 but was settling with the 450 because of the deal I got on it and because I do enjoy a brand new car.

Yes, I am referring to the reflector.
as seen in this picture...it looks awful. The euro spec cars look much, much better. Even my wife asked me what I'm going to do about the orange in the headlight, its HUGE!
Attached Thumbnails Any solution to the fugly orange in the headlights?-sl63.jpg   Any solution to the fugly orange in the headlights?-sl63e.jpg