SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Active Body Control-Curve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Active Body Control-Curve

Any advice on whether or not to add the ABC-curve option would be appreciated. I am considering special ordering an SL550 and including this option. I am hoping someone has experienced this feature or has knowledge about it.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I didn't but I might regret it -- I recently ordered my SL450 through the European Delivery Program, and I'm now awaiting it's arrival in the US next month.

I thought that the car came with Active Body Control (ABC), and that Curve was the $4090 option. However, ABC may not be standard. I don't want Curve, but I would like ABC, particularly it's ability to automatically raise and lower the car, not just in response to driving mode, but also, I believe, to road conditions -- potholes, driveways, etc. That said, my car, without ABC & Curve, was fun to drive through the Alps, and it held the road very well. In Switzerland, I also drove a Porsche 911 Targa 4S, which is faster and handles better, but I enjoy the more civilized drive of the SL.

Check with your dealer, and hopefully, other owners will chime in soon.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your input, seascape! Wow and which SL did you drive through the Alps!? Congratulations on the purchase of your new SL450! Be sure to post photos upon its arrival!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I drove my 2017 SL450 through the Alps. I'm not sure if it's a driver mode feature or a safety feature, but it was odd feeling the car try to straighten itself automatically whenever I drove into corners. I mostly drove in the default comfort mode, and it would try to straighten itself as I crossed the white lines, as I wanted to take the corners sharper -- weird having to fight it. Not sure if it's a gyro sensor or a road sensor or something else.

BTW, since you're doing a special order, here's some friendly advice.
1) Download the Dealer Ordering Guide (DOG) for your car. Wolfman and Streamliner have posted it for the 2017 and 2018 SL, respectively. Rely on this, not the Mercedes website or the sales person or the ordering system. For example, in the US the SL comes standard with the panorama roof. However, it's still listed as an option in the ordering system, probably for other countries. Another example, the DOG lists some nice options that are only available for AMG models, but I wanted one of those options for my non-AMG SL450, so I had my sales person contact Mercedes USA in Atlanta, and they were able to add the option for me.

2) The US Mercedes website is not 100% accurate in its photos, options and prices. For example, I ordered a Bengal red interior, and the photos indicate that the headliner and pillars are gray. However, when I ordered the car, it said that they would be black with no other color option. The DOG (and Atlanta) confirmed that. Another example, the site lists the illuminated door sills option for $515, which are too expensive. However, they're really $350, so I bit. The DOG also had the right price.

3) Keep doing what you've started, and ask your questions on this forum. There are many more knowledgable and helpful people here, who gave me lots of good advice.

4) If you're not in a rush, consider ordering through the European Delivery Program.

Have fun!
The following users liked this post:
SLclass (07-29-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
ABC and active curve give the car an ability to stay very flat during cornering while still applying more load on the outside tires for grip. In a normal suspension, your weight transfer only happens when the body leans. With a truly active system like ABC, or at least fully active roll bars (which are just springs that connect the suspension of a given axle), you get weight transfer without body roll. It's something that truly has to be experienced to appreciate.

I love my CL with ABC, even the older car with the older system than you are looking at, gives a drive/handling/ride experience that just isn't matched by traditional suspension cars. The systems now are very good and very reliable, not like the first generation systems in my car. I would always opt for it if it's available, there isn't really a downside other than the cost.
SLclass (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I have had the R231's with springs, ABC with and without curve mode.
Curve mode is available for the MY17 models but for me it's not really interesting or useful.

Curve mode simply means that instead of staying flat in a curve (sport mode), the car actually leans into the curve. A bit like a motorcycle. Just under 3 degrees.

Curve mode is only available in comfort driving mode and is designed for smooth comfortable driving and is automatically disabled when driving in sport or sport plus models.
Since this what I use all the time, no curve mode for me

But it should be nice for people liking to drive relaxed. Since the car leans into the curve, the steering angle changes a bit (less) which might getting some used to.

But the curve mode is a freebee. You are paying for ABC and a great suspension for the SL
Old 07-29-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I have had the R231's with springs, ABC with and without curve mode.
Curve mode is available for the MY17 models but for me it's not really interesting or useful.

Curve mode simply means that instead of staying flat in a curve (sport mode), the car actually leans into the curve. A bit like a motorcycle. Just under 3 degrees.

Curve mode is only available in comfort driving mode and is designed for smooth comfortable driving and is automatically disabled when driving in sport or sport plus models.
Since this what I use all the time, no curve mode for me

But it should be nice for people liking to drive relaxed. Since the car leans into the curve, the steering angle changes a bit (less) which might getting some used to.

But the curve mode is a freebee. You are paying for ABC and a great suspension for the SL
Thank you, Wolfman! So, are you saying that you like the 4k option Active Body Control (ABC) for the SL and recommend it?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLclass
Thank you, Wolfman! So, are you saying that you like the 4k option Active Body Control (ABC) for the SL and recommend it?
Absolutely!

I actually wouldn't buy an SL without it. To me the it is the most relevant options.

It is a much more capable suspension and does a great job making the car more agile but it also has some side benefits.
1. You can manually raise the car for steeper driveways or driving on a rough road. Given the SL's overhang it's a good way to keep your front bumper in one piece.
2. If you ever thinking of lowering the car, which I have, it is exceedingly easy to do so while spring-based SL have only a few choices, none of which I liked.
3.The car lowers at speed a bit to improve handling. Won't matter in the US but makes a nice difference in countries where you can actually go faster...
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM

Absolutely!

I actually wouldn't buy an SL without it. To me the it is the most relevant options.

It is a much more capable suspension and does a great job making the car more agile but it also has some side benefits.
1. You can manually raise the car for steeper driveways or driving on a rough road. Given the SL's overhang it's a good way to keep your front bumper in one piece.
2. If you ever thinking of lowering the car, which I have, it is exceedingly easy to do so while spring-based SL have only a few choices, none of which I liked.
3.The car lowers at speed a bit to improve handling. Won't matter in the US but makes a nice difference in countries where you can actually go faster...
Very good information and explanation too! You have me really thinking now! My main reason for having been so skeptical is that very few, that I have seen, for sale have ABC. I guess it is the extra cost or lack of understanding, but yet I see lots with Magic Sky Control 2.5k, Driver Assist at 2.25k, and some with designo leather with a 4.5k price tag. Maybe it is that most folks, like me, just don't know enough about it, but you would think that the dealers do??? Thanks for your thoughtful and well written response!
Old 07-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Very good information and explanation too! You have me really thinking now! My main reason for having been so skeptical is that very few, that I have seen, for sale have ABC. I guess it is the extra cost or lack of understanding, but yet I see lots with Magic Sky Control 2.5k, Driver Assist at 2.25k, and some with designo leather with a 4.5k price tag. Maybe it is that most folks, like me, just don't know enough about it, but you would think that the dealers do??? Thanks for your thoughtful and well written response!
ABC used to be the standard suspension in the prior generation SL's and then it switched to a $4k option.

Many repeat buyer didn't even realize that. But the issue with so few ABC equipped cars is that dealers hate to spec a car with expensive options that are not easy to see and are difficult to explain. Much easier to show people an upgraded interior or B&O audio system.
Can't go wrong with ABC. The difference is apparent every time to drive the car
Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 PM

ABC used to be the standard suspension in the prior generation SL's and then it switched to a $4k option.

Many repeat buyer didn't even realize that. But the issue with so few ABC equipped cars is that dealers hate to spec a car with expensive options that are not easy to see and are difficult to explain. Much easier to show people an upgraded interior or B&O audio system.
Can't go wrong with ABC. The difference is apparent every time to drive the car
Excellent explanation and makes perfect sense! Thanks again for your advice and insight, Wolfman!
Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
Originally Posted by seascape
I drove my 2017 SL450 through the Alps. I'm not sure if it's a driver mode feature or a safety feature, but it was odd feeling the car try to straighten itself automatically whenever I drove into corners. I mostly drove in the default comfort mode, and it would try to straighten itself as I crossed the white lines, as I wanted to take the corners sharper -- weird having to fight it. Not sure if it's a gyro sensor or a road sensor or something else.

Was this due to the active lane assist feature that can be turned off?
Old 07-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexMB
Was this due to the active lane assist feature that can be turned off?
That is the only reason I can think of ...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
That is the only reason I can think of ...
The active lane assist sounds a audible alert and displays a picture on the dash board for a few seconds when you drive out of your lane. There is no mistake whether the feature is turned on.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
I had a new 2004 R230 SL500. All of the R230's came with ABC standard and the car rode beautifully, like a luxury GT should. I now have a 2013 SL550 without ABC. The car itself is day and night better than my 2004, EXCEPT when it comes to ride comfort. I miss the ABC so much, that I am ordering a 2018 just to spec it with this amazing suspension. Definitely get ABC. You'll be so glad you did.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I had a new 2004 R230 SL500. All of the R230's came with ABC standard and the car rode beautifully, like a luxury GT should. I now have a 2013 SL550 without ABC. The car itself is day and night better than my 2004, EXCEPT when it comes to ride comfort. I miss the ABC so much, that I am ordering a 2018 just to spec it with this amazing suspension. Definitely get ABC. You'll be so glad you did.
Thank you for your input and advice, Streamliner! What color combo and other options are you going with?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for your input and advice, Streamliner! What color combo and other options are you going with?
There are folks here on this forum that are saying "I can't BELIEVE this guy asked Streamliner that question!"

This is a huge deal with me. I have had 7 SL's, all bright red. My first one was a 1972 which I got used. My current one is a 2013, which I got CPO. All of the others were new.

In late 2017, I had plans to order a 2018, when I head that MB had discontinued the beautiful Mars Red color. I immediately contacted my dealer and he tried everything to try and find an available order that could be changed to a Mars Red build, but no success. I searched the country and I could have had a new 2017 in Mars Red, but without ABC, which was unacceptable. Around this same time, I happened on this 2013 SL550, right colors, only 11K miles, no ABC, but I bought it. I love it, but REALLY miss ABC .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I currently have a new order in for a 2018 SL450. The dealer is "confident" that they will get the car in Mars Red, but I'm less confident. I think they may get Jupiter Red, which is similar, which I will probably accept, but I'm still waiting to hear.

The car will have the all options, with the exception of Magic Sky Control. Interior will be Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Exclusive Nappa. I will, most likely, put 18" wheels & conventional tires on the car.

Sorry to be so long winded.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:32 PM

There are folks here on this forum that are saying "I can't BELIEVE this guy asked Streamliner that question!"

This is a huge deal with me. I have had 7 SL's, all bright red. My first one was a 1972 which I got used. My current one is a 2013, which I got CPO. All of the others were new.

In late 2017, I had plans to order a 2018, when I head that MB had discontinued the beautiful Mars Red color. I immediately contacted my dealer and he tried everything to try and find an available order that could be changed to a Mars Red build, but no success. I searched the country and I could have had a new 2017 in Mars Red, but without ABC, which was unacceptable. Around this same time, I happened on this 2013 SL550, right colors, only 11K miles, no ABC, but I bought it. I love it, but REALLY miss ABC .

Anyway, to make a long story short, I currently have a new order in for a 2018 SL450. The dealer is "confident" that they will get the car in Mars Red, but I'm less confident. I think they may get Jupiter Red, which is similar, which I will probably accept, but I'm still waiting to hear.

The car will have the all options, with the exception of Magic Sky Control. Interior will be Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Exclusive Nappa. I will, most likely, put 18" wheels & conventional tires on the car.

Sorry to be so long winded.
Streamliner, out of the mouth of a newbie! This is my first week! Thank you for all of your input, experiences, and advice! I will say that I was told only Cardinal red for '18...
Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Streamliner, out of the mouth of a newbie! This is my first week! Thank you for all of your input, experiences, and advice! I will say that I was told only Cardinal red for '18...
This morning I started to navigate for the first time on this forum, which is all new to me. After seeing your thread on color combinations, I was like "Duh!" LOL I enjoyed your thread! Thank you! I am going to explore some more now...
Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Designo Cardinal Red Metallic is a beautiful color, but IMO it is not red. In most lighting, it looks much more orange. They should have made it an additional color, named something like Mango Orange Metallic. Using it to replace an iconic color like RED, just doesn't make sense to me. A good, solid red color has been, to many folks, synonymous with sporting cars for many decades and to some, like myself, it just looks so great on the SL. Here are photos of my 2004 & 2013.

Last edited by Streamliner; 08-01-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 AM

Designo Cardinal Red Metallic is a beautiful color, but IMO it is not red. In most lighting, it looks much more orange. They should have made it an additional color, named something like Mango Orange Metallic. Using it to replace an iconic color like RED, just doesn't make sense to me. A good, solid red color has been, to many folks, synonymous with sporting cars for many decades and to some, like myself, it just looks so great on the SL.
I actually looked at a designo Cardinal red 550 just yesterday. I drove 45+ minutes to see it and was very disappointed with its orange tint glowing in the sun. I agree with your sentiments. I much prefer Mars red!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Designo Cardinal Red Metallic is a beautiful color, but IMO it is not red. In most lighting, it looks much more orange. They should have made it an additional color, named something like Mango Orange Metallic. Using it to replace an iconic color like RED, just doesn't make sense to me. A good, solid red color has been, to many folks, synonymous with sporting cars for many decades and to some, like myself, it just looks so great on the SL. Here are photos of my 2004 & 2013.

Glad to see you've added photos. Both cars are absolutely beautiful! Streamliner, can you lead me to the '18 SL DOG? I've tried the search window...
Old 08-01-2017, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I posted the 2018 DOG a few months ago. Do a search for this: "When will we see the 2018 DOG?" It's in that thread.
SLclass (08-01-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Any additional opinions or input about the ABC option at $4,090.00?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Any additional opinions or input about the ABC option at $4,090.00?
Deleted my reply as I misread the question.

Don't think you will hear more than has already been said. The the most important option in the SL IMO....

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.
SLclass (08-05-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Active Body Control-Curve