SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: My 2018 Order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
My 2018 Order

I initiated my order today with the configuration completed. I was told delivery should be in three to four months. I am excited! This will be my first SL!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You decided against ABC? Just curious why...
Old 08-08-2017, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Yeah. After all that, no ABC?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM

My decision is based on the totality of the following: I read information about ABC from various sources. I discussed ABC with Mercedes' representatives. I read comments regarding ABC from you, Streamliner and others on this forum and also from members in another forum. I drove two 2017 SL550's, without ABC, in a broad spectrum of driving styles. During these drives, I selected Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ modes repeatedly and at various intervals. I researched topics on ABC, which included comfort, handling, performance, reliability, repair costs, and resale values for SL's with and without the ABC option.

Last edited by SLclass; 08-10-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

I am glad that you did your research so that you are comfortable with your order configuration even though you may do yourself a disservice.
I am obviously biased but having had quite a few SL's it is just interesting of how much better these cars ride.

As for any horror stories on ABC, you will not find any adverse info on ABC or MBC on newer model cars. Most what is available on the net deals with old models and people shocked with the repair costs, overlooking the fact that they are buying $100k cars for Cents to the Dollar. Repair costs don't follow depreciation...

MB dealers will likely be clueless on ABC as they are not spec'ing it for the reasons mentioned in prior posts.

If I were you I would at least try to drive one so that you have a good comparison.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 SL550
Congrats! May you have miles of smiles with the top down.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nemrosim
Congrats! May you have miles of smiles with the top down.
As I noted above, this will be my first SL! Very nice to get such a positive reply! Thank you, Sir!

Last edited by SLclass; 08-11-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I were you I would at least try to drive one so that you have a good comparison. Good luck!
Ah, and therein lies the problem: It is virtually impossible for anyone, anywhere to test drive a new SL with ABC. Cars with ABC simply do not exist in dealer inventories.

If I had not come out of an R230, I wouldn't have known better. However, having driven my 2004 for 12 years and then stepping into my CPO 2013 without ABC, I found the difference to be dramatic--and TRUMATIC. I really miss the ABC. But, if you've never driven a car with it, you have no comparison. This is a problem with several, pricier, less glamorous MB options. Try finding a new E Class sedan with P3 & AirMatic to drive, or a new GLE with ActiveCurve. Virtually impossible and customers are very reluctant to check these expensive boxes without knowing what they are getting.

The Germans are brilliant engineers, but they make what I feel are some truly idiotic marketing decisions. ABC should have remained standard on their otherwise marvelous SL.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Ah, and therein lies the problem: It is virtually impossible for anyone, anywhere to test drive a new SL with ABC. Cars with ABC simply do not exist in dealer inventories.

If I had not come out of an R230, I wouldn't have known better. However, having driven my 2004 for 12 years and then stepping into my CPO 2013 without
ABC, I found the difference to be dramatic--and TRUMATIC. I really miss the ABC. But, if you've never driven a car with it, you have no comparison. This is a problem with several, pricier, less glamorous MB options. Try finding a new E Class sedan with P3 & AirMatic to drive, or a new GLE with ActiveCurve. Virtually impossible and customers are very reluctant to check these expensive boxes without knowing what they are getting.

The Germans are brilliant engineers, but they make what I feel are some truly idiotic marketing decisions. ABC should have remained standard on their otherwise marvelous SL.
I hear you! I do know a bit about MB and even I bought a 2013 SL550 on springs by mistake. I didn't even dawn on me to check on ABC as I have had it since 2002 with our SL55.
Given the pricing pressures I can see why it ended up to be an option but I put the blame on dealers.

About 90% of all SL's are dealer configured, so most customers never have a say and have to rely on what the dealer deems sellable.
And I have seen some truly idiotic configurations.
Dealers often want to sell options that customers can see, feel, touch or hear. The rest is more hard work for the salesman to explain. Overall knowledge level is low for the average salesman, MB or otherwise...

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Wolfman and Streamliner are right -- I went to my dealer on Friday, and, unfortunately, they didn't have a single car with ABC. They rarely order it, and actually dissuade people from it. Hopefully, they'll make it a standard feature again soon.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by seascape
Wolfman and Streamliner are right -- I went to my dealer on Friday, and, unfortunately, they didn't have a single car with ABC. They rarely order it, and actually dissuade people from it. Hopefully, they'll make it a standard feature again soon.
This was my experience as well.

Last edited by SLclass; 08-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not order it without ABC it's the best option you could put on this car drive one and you'll add it to your Order.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 PM

There were and are no ABC's out there to test drive, for me at least. Perhaps there are reasons for this, besides or in addition to the reasons suggested by this forum's passionate ABC'ers. Every rep that I spoke with did not recommend ABC, and actually dissuaded me from ABC (plenty $ for the 4k option - paying cash). All of them liked Airmatic, even one rep that drives his personal ABC SL (standard on his) on a daily basis. If ABC is such a big deal, (and I personally do not know EITHER way) MB should have kept it as standard on the SL, especially considering its lofty price tag. And, even more so where I live as folks around here in rural NC are going to think I have gone crazy to have purchased a 110+ car (right at 120) (foreign too, LOL) when I could have purchased a Vette and even the Z06 for much less. But, I do NOT care what they will think of my decision. I did ask a lot of questions on this forum and solicited lots of advice. AND, I digested EVERYONE'S input. I have conducted my own research in a calculated, deliberate, and methodical way, and with much patience. Now that I have made my decision, I would hope that everyone that is so passionate about ABC will respect my decision to forego ABC. I certainly respect everyone's passion for ABC and those with knowledge about ABC and SL's in general, and especially their willingness to share with me. I am very excited about my order of such an iconic automobile! This is my first SL, and the dream car for me! Cheers to everyone that might happen to read this!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C300
My thoughts exactly !
Wonderful response from all the seasoned owners.
Respect your decisions.
Yet to drive mine as still being held at Brunswick GA.
No ABC.
My sales guy, who is a personal friend, would not let me order it.
Time will tell.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SLclass
There were and are no ABC's out there to test drive, for me at least. Perhaps there are reasons for this, besides or in addition to the reasons suggested by this forum's passionate ABC'ers. Every rep that I spoke with did not recommend ABC, and actually dissuaded me from ABC (plenty $ for the 4k option - paying cash). All of them liked Airmatic, even one rep that drives his personal ABC SL (standard on his) on a daily basis. If ABC is such a big deal, (and I personally do not know EITHER way) MB should have kept it as standard on the SL, especially considering its lofty price tag. And, even more so where I live as folks around here in rural NC are going to think I have gone crazy to have purchased a 110+ car (right at 120) (foreign too, LOL) when I could have purchased a Vette and even the Z06 for much less. But, I do NOT care what they will think of my decision. I did ask a lot of questions on this forum and solicited lots of advice. AND, I digested EVERYONE'S input. I have conducted my own research in a calculated, deliberate, and methodical way, and with much patience. Now that I have made my decision, I would hope that everyone that is so passionate about ABC will respect my decision to forego ABC. I certainly respect everyone's passion for ABC and those with knowledge about ABC and SL's in general, and especially their willingness to share with me. I am very excited about my order of such an iconic automobile! This is my first SL, and the dream car for me! Cheers to everyone that might happen to read this!
I am a little puzzled by the defensive position you are taking. Clearly everyone here on the forum respects your opinion, I for one am happy that you are choosing an SL because it is IMO the best convertible available on the market. You will enjoy your new car tremendously!

That said, you did asked for qualified opinions in an open forum from people that can provide actual feedback, not just hear say from people that have neither owned these cars or understand the tech and how it has evolved over the last dozen years or so.

Just FYI. ABC was removed for cost/margins reasons, nothing else. It is an $4K+ option on all low cost SL's and RWD S-Class models but the default suspension on higher-end models (SL63, SL65, S65)
Old 08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't take my SL out all that often, but the August weather here along the coast in Southern California has been nothing short of spectacular, with sunny skies and temps in the low to mid 70's, with very low humidity. So, I've been enjoying the SL, even without ABC. The car is an amazing vehicle and the ride is great, only really noticing the lack of ABC over bumps and rougher roads, neither of which are plentiful in this part of the world. However, I am putting on a full court press trying to get MB to build me a 2018, with ABC, in Mars Red. I like the face lift exterior better than my 2013, but the only real reason I want a new one, is to get ABC. I had it on my 2004 and the difference between the two is pretty dramatic, IF you value a smooth ride and amazing handling. All that said, the SL without ABC is still a wonderful car and I'm sure the OP will be quite happy with his new ride and I wish him nothing but the best, for many years of enjoying his new SL.
The following users liked this post:
SLclass (08-25-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
I am a little puzzled by the defensive position you are taking. Clearly everyone here on the forum respects your opinion, I for one am happy that you are choosing an SL because it is IMO the best convertible available on the market. You will enjoy your new car tremendously!

That said, you did asked for qualified opinions in an open forum from people that can provide actual feedback, not just hear say from people that have neither owned these cars or understand the tech and how it has evolved over the last dozen years or so.

Just FYI. ABC was removed for cost/margins reasons, nothing else. It is an $4K+ option on all low cost SL's and RWD S-Class models but the default suspension on higher-end models (SL63, SL65, S65)
I'm with Wolfman on this one. Having had SL's and Mercedes now for about 14 years. I miss not having ABC and will rectify this next time around. If you have never had it, you will never know the difference. What I really liked though was when you come to a deadman in a parking lot for example and even with camera detection in front, sometimes its too late. By raising it several inches you have that comfort factor. Also useful for difficult and uneven driveways and when its pouring with rain, not to mention the added comfort which is very evident.

Yes its an expensive option and I hear that they have figured out the early problems they had, but I don't need panorama roof and a few other gadgets............to each their own.

Apart from as I mentioned poor navigation and imo appalling color selection(they really should get out of their old ways)..its a brilliant car.

Just seen the new ferrari portofino, now that' worth considering............. They state its their new low entry model...that should be interesting, probably a base of 200K
Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 PM

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html
Old 08-26-2017, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Darren should be given the MB Medal of Honor for putting this together. Truly amazing. I doubt that most MB dealer techs know all of this stuff.

I love ABC, but do not wish to own an ABC equipped car without the factory warranty in force.

Question: Does anyone know if ABC is covered under an MB Extended or CPO Warranty?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Darren should be given the MB Medal of Honor for putting this together. Truly amazing. I doubt that most MB dealer techs know all of this stuff.

I love ABC, but do not wish to own an ABC equipped car without the factory warranty in force.

Question: Does anyone know if ABC is covered under an MB Extended or CPO Warranty?
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...bc-system.html

The link below is included in the above thread (link). I have no clue as to whether or not this is a reputable or competitive company. Your dealership might be a good source??? Good luck, Streamliner!

http://info.extended-vehicle-warrant...te-request-sas
Old 08-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

This is what I meant by old and outdated info in relation to the R231.

Useful and somewhat irrelevant when buying a new car unless one believes that technology stood still.
The issue is identical for Airmatic models (1999 up) with a similar failure rate and it matters if you are in the market for an 7-15 year old MB.

I haven't seen anyone worry about Airmatic on a new S-Class. Why? You can't buy one without it unless you go for RWD and get ABC...

That said, it is very costly issue to people to have a suspension failure on either ABC or Airmatic. But so is any failure on aging cars that were $100k plus.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-27-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
Dealing with ABC suspensions from the service side brings perhaps a different perspective than a new car buyer who will likely move on in three to five years. Having had to inform a customer that the entire rear sub-frame/suspension must come out to replace a rear ABC line, or that to cure the issue of the car leaning over to one side after sitting overnight a $1900.00 valve (plus labor) must be replaced (only 2 more left to go!), or a ABC pump has failed (again)......you get the idea. It's not a wonder that the Active Body Control system has earned a reputation.

When it works, great, fantastic system! Amazing control, with a comfortable ride that (apparently) cannot be matched in a steel spring suspension. If the ABC hydraulic system is flushed every couple years, it can give years of good service. My experience is however, if not serviced, it is a ticking time bomb that can, at some point, cost the owner (usually the second or third) a significant percentage of what they paid for the car. The problem is compounded by the fact that ABC services are not pushed in this country. I've been told in Europe that is part of the normal maintenance program. Over here it's a struggle to get people to change the motor oil on a regular basis.
I have no doubt improvements have been made. But it still has a pump, hydraulic lines running everywhere, valves, accumulators and pressure reservoirs, etc. Say what you will, it's a significant reason the R230's deprecate so quickly.

My opinion, if money was no object, I would have ABC on my car in a heartbeat. As the potential buyer of a five year old car that I intend to keep for years, no thank you. Does our recently purchased R231 have ABC? Hell no! What was my wife's first comment when she drove the R231? Your SL55 rode better
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GermanCars
Dealing with ABC suspensions from the service side brings perhaps a different perspective than a new car buyer who will likely move on in three to five years. Having had to inform a customer that the entire rear sub-frame/suspension must come out to replace a rear ABC line, or that to cure the issue of the car leaning over to one side after sitting overnight a $1900.00 valve (plus labor) must be replaced (only 2 more left to go!), or a ABC pump has failed (again)......you get the idea. It's not a wonder that the Active Body Control system has earned a reputation.

When it works, great, fantastic system! Amazing control, with a comfortable ride that (apparently) cannot be matched in a steel spring suspension. If the ABC hydraulic system is flushed every couple years, it can give years of good service. My experience is however, if not serviced, it is a ticking time bomb that can, at some point, cost the owner (usually the second or third) a significant percentage of what they paid for the car. The problem is compounded by the fact that ABC services are not pushed in this country. I've been told in Europe that is part of the normal maintenance program. Over here it's a struggle to get people to change the motor oil on a regular basis.
I have no doubt improvements have been made. But it still has a pump, hydraulic lines running everywhere, valves, accumulators and pressure reservoirs, etc. Say what you will, it's a significant reason the R230's deprecate so quickly.

My opinion, if money was no object, I would have ABC on my car in a heartbeat. As the potential buyer of a five year old car that I intend to keep for years, no thank you. Does our recently purchased R231 have ABC? Hell no! What was my wife's first comment when she drove the R231? Your SL55 rode better
Just FYI. I am not trying to talk SLclass into getting ABC. Doesn't matter to me but I will provide feedback on the differences so that others can judge the pros/cons.

The issue I am having with making ABC a bigger issue than it is, at least on newer cars. It's a non-issue here and it isn't just a question of aging but also how the engineering has evolved.
ABC Maintenance protocols have also changed.

Airmatic has had air pressure issues with leaking struts and non-working pumps. ABC has had their share of hydraulic issues. Had issues with both on less mature tech, but none have come close to other, more mundane problems.

Couple examples; Mold in the AC system of a prior S-Class = $9k, V12TT coils = $5k, motor mount replacement = almost $3k (engine has to come out), even spark plugs for over $1k. Come to think of it, almost $2k in performance tires a year

Made ABC actually look cheap

Point is that used SL's on springs or otherwise, aging and without extended warranties will break the bank of many used car buyers. That is a luxury car issue, not ABC. Try a used Aston Martin for shock and awe pricing

Btw. we loved our SL55

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-28-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by GermanCars

I recently ordered a 2018 SL550, and still have time to make configuration changes. Would you recommend ABC, if I plan to trade before the warranty expires? And, why? How about if I plan to keep the car for many years and keep the ABC serviced (hydraulic fluid & filter changed every two years)? And, why? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Last edited by SLclass; 08-29-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I would only order a new one with ABC if not for the lowering feature by itself. Stock ride height with 19" wheels just looks wrong to me. I looked for months to find a pre owned model with ABC and finally gave up and bought the '13 that I have had for the past year. Having an SL without ABC is better than nothing but sure wish mine had it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: My 2018 Order