SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: How Does a The S Class Sedan Drive?

Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 910 Likes on 600 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
How Does a The S Class Sedan Drive?

I know this probably should be in the S Class forum but trust those that have a SL also to be more objective.
As far as the creature comforts, how they ride and road noise levels, how does the S Class sedan perform?
Thinking of adding one to the stable and figure some here have driven and/or own one.
Thanks.......
Old 12-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I know this probably should be in the S Class forum but trust those that have a SL also to be more objective.
As far as the creature comforts, how they ride and road noise levels, how does the S Class sedan perform?
Thinking of adding one to the stable and figure some here have driven and/or own one.
Thanks.......

Funny you should ask

We have had many S-Class models and the current W222 is the best one yet IMO. We had a 2015 S550 which was nicely spec'd and it had the same engine as our SL550. The car clearly feels slower than the SL with it's added weight but is extremely smooth driving as the airmatic is designed for maximum comfort. We did get rid of the Pirelli P Zero run flats after a week and put on conventional Conti DWS all seasons. This increased the smoothness of the ride and decreased road noise. It's a bigger car of course and a competent AWD. If you are looking for a RWD, I would make sure to take it with MBC, which is ABC suspension with software/camera to smooth the suspension over rougher terrain or speed bumps, etc.

If you are looking for new, the S450 will feel familiar as it has the same engine as your SL. The S560 is a detuned non-AMG version of the same engine I have in our E63s. Ours makes over 600hp though.
Super reliable and very luxurious if you get the extra exclusive Nappa Leather interior which gives you the full leather interior, dash and all done panels including Dinamica (ultra suede) headliner.

Again, not comparable to a 2 seat roadster but a luxurious large 4 door sedan. This is the current benchmark others are measured against. Here are a couple pics of our old ride...
Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Funny you should ask

We have had many S-Class models and the current W222 is the best one yet IMO. We had a 2015 S550 which was nicely spec'd and it had the same engine as our SL550. The car clearly feels slower than the SL with it's added weight but is extremely smooth driving as the airmatic is designed for maximum comfort. We did get rid of the Pirelli P Zero run flats after a week and put on conventional Conti DWS all seasons. This increased the smoothness of the ride and decreased road noise. It's a bigger car of course and a competent AWD. If you are looking for a RWD, I would make sure to take it with MBC, which is ABC suspension with software/camera to smooth the suspension over rougher terrain or speed bumps, etc.

If you are looking for new, the S450 will feel familiar as it has the same engine as your SL. The S560 is a detuned non-AMG version of the same engine I have in our E63s. Ours makes over 600hp though.
Super reliable and very luxurious if you get the extra exclusive Nappa Leather interior which gives you the full leather interior, dash and all done panels including Dinamica (ultra suede) headliner.

Again, not comparable to a 2 seat roadster but a luxurious large 4 door sedan. This is the current benchmark others are measured against. Here are a couple pics of our old ride...
Absolutely beautiful car, Wolfman! Let me hold a few dollars...
Old 12-10-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 910 Likes on 600 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Thanks for the response. So far the folks I've corresponded with really like the driving style of the S Class.
My problem is garage/climatized barn space. Everything is full and my wife won't give up her Caddilac XT5 for a S class Sedan.
Go figure!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,385 Likes on 1,931 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
My daily driver is a 2015 S550 sedan and it is the smoothest, most comfortable car on the market, with the possible exception of something like a Rolls. My car has 18” wheels with conventional tires and it rides and handles like a dream. I have the Exclusive Nappa interior with the massage seats and it is so very comfortable.

As those who frequent the W222 forum know, I have a few issues with MB and the way they market the S Class. I hate that the Pano Roof is standard equipment and the fact that this huge saloon has no place to properly stow even a compact spare. With those issues in mind, I thought I’d make a change when my lease is up at year end. So, I’ve recently driven all of the cars I feel compete with the S Class and have come to the same conclusion I always seem to come back to and that is that the S Class is “THE” best luxury sedan on the market, period. When one looks at what you get for the price, it might even be said that the car is something of a bargain.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited by Streamliner; 12-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.