SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Upcoming R232 still with hardtop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
Originally Posted by docsout

thought of your comments ref maintenance when I got the latest issue of Motor Trend with a Ferrari Portofino on cover. Really touting hard top convertible.
The Portofino is drop dead gorgeous--tremendous improvement over the California. I'm looking forward to seeing one in person and taking a test drive when they start arriving at the dealers this summer as a 2019 model--it's getting great reviews as a daily driver. I would definitely consider one when the lease is up next year on my '17 SL550. Pretty pricey though, but then it's a FERRARI! I wonder how they will hold their value--I would hate to think that they would be worth only half after 3 years like most high end cars.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
About a year ago, the local Ferrari dealer loaned me a brand new California T for a three hour test drive. Beautiful car, but uncomfortable compared to my 2013 SL550 and a complete lack of active safety devices, such as Pre-Safe, Blind Spot Assist, etc. I realize that Ferrari needs to make FERRARIS, but this is a car that many owners use as a daily driver and to leave off such available safety devices, it just doesn’t make sense to me on a $200K+ car. After giving the Ferrari back and getting into my SL, it was a great feeling. I love the beauty of the Ferrari and the fact that you can customize it with an almost unlimited selection of interior & exterior finishes, but that’s where it ends for me.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
Originally Posted by Streamliner
About a year ago, the local Ferrari dealer loaned me a brand new California T for a three hour test drive. Beautiful car, but uncomfortable compared to my 2013 SL550 and a complete lack of active safety devices, such as Pre-Safe, Blind Spot Assist, etc. I realize that Ferrari needs to make FERRARIS, but this is a car that many owners use as a daily driver and to leave off such available safety devices, it just doesn’t make sense to me on a $200K+ car. After giving the Ferrari back and getting into my SL, it was a great feeling. I love the beauty of the Ferrari and the fact that you can customize it with an almost unlimited selection of interior & exterior finishes, but that’s where it ends for me.
I did not like the look of the California--too rounded and not at all Ferrari-like. I can't address your comment about comfort because I've never even sat in one, but I hope that the Portofino is better in that respect. I know the car mag editors are making a big deal about Ferrari addressing a lot of the California's shortcomings. I agree with your comment about safety features in a car this expensive but I personally wouldn't mind a few less nannies to warn me about my driving habits. Both of my MB's are constantly chiming or beeping at me (yeah, I know, they're just trying to save me from myself). I've also had them apply the brakes when the system thought I was in danger but really was not and it was very unsettling.