SL/R231: In the market for new SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes, BMW
In the market for new SL

Hello All,

I am looking at the SL450 or the SL550. I live in Northern California and am willing to travel to purchase car. Preferably I would like a slightly used car although I am open to new. Does anyone know if dealers are willing to negotiate or are these cars bought near MSRP? Any advice on the best approach here would be appreciated. I am selling my beautiful 2016 S550 and will replace it with the SL. I love my car but it is just too big and I want a sportier car and the SL is what I will replace it with. We used to own a 2009 SL550 but sold it to a friend who still owns it. I see it all the time and still love the look of that car. Anyway, if you wouldn't mind giving your insight on what to expect at the dealer, impression on the 450 or 550 and if there are options I "must" have I would be indebted to you. The magic sky option seems nice but not sure if that is a gimmick or not. Thanks again and I look forward to your feedback. Dave
Old 05-03-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Welcome back to the addiction, it's a good one. We bought a three year old CPO through a Benz dealer about 450 miles away. I used CarGurus to see how long cars had been sitting in dealer inventory, and focused on the +90 day units. We made an offer, were laughed at, and then three days later were asked if we could close by the end of the month. Virtually all the dealers that we shopped with who offered CPO units were quite willing to negotiate. The other thing about CarGurus is that you can see how, if any, the pricing has moved on a particular unit. By matching the CarGuru to the M-B CPO website, I was able to sort cars to fit what I was looking for. We preferred the 550, but many of our group find the 450 to be the preferred model. ABC is one option that is cited as highly desirable by a number of folks, but our unit sits on old fashioned springs. You can look for the Designo interiors and exterior colors for some individual options, as well as the AMG 'package' which is really wheels and brakes. So do your homework, select some cars and see what you can negotiate. Can't speak to negotiation on new SL's, but our two local Benz dealers are really offering some discounts on E and C class sedans at the moment. Happy hunting.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 SL550
Lots of used R231 around. I would start with a budget then find the newest, with the desired features, preferred color, lowest mileage one I could find to fit it. I found mine via Autotrader but there are other websites and sources. The dealer who had the car I wanted but was not willing to lower the price. Since I thought the price was fair I bought the car. My car has exceeded you expectations. Looking forward to our next road trip. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
Here's what I did:
1. Went onto the MB website and built exactly the car that I was interested in buying.
2. Wrote a email to the Sales manager of 4 different Mercedes Benz dealerships, in 2 different states (N.Y. & CT), stating that I was going to purchase a new SL450. I included an attachment of the exact build sheet, that I had created. I then explained that I was going to buy the car from the dealership which offered me the lowest price, and that I had no intentions to negotiate, so they should give me their best and last price.
3. All four dealerships responded within a few day, with two giving me exactly the same price, which as it turned out, was the highest price. The third was a few grand lower, and the forth was a grand lower than the third.
4. I bought the car from the forth dealership, which when delivered, had the incorrect seats. Rather than refuse to take delivery, which would have taken another 6 months, to get the car as I had initially wanted it, I accepted their offet to pay for all maintenance for the first three years.
5. If I have any minor issues, I bring the car to my local dealership, but for all scheduled maintenance, I call up the dealership where I purchased the car, and they send a driver, who leaves me his Mercedes, and takes mine. When the work is done, he returns my car, and drives back in the loaner.

It was a very easy and stress free process, but I don't think it'd work with a used or pre-owned car, as you couldn't play one dealership against the other, because you'd not be asking for the exact same car.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,418 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I had a 2004 SL500 that I bought new. I sold it in 2016 with only 20 something thousand miles on it and bought a CPO 2013 SL550. The newer car is better in most every way, BUT, the R230 models all came with ABC standard and rode BEAUTIFULLY! With the R231 models, ABC became a $4,000.00+ option, so you will find VERY FEW with it and a car without it does not ride nearly as nicely as the older cars. Also, the sound systems on the R231 models do not work properly (see several threads here on the subject) when not playing special DVD-A discs. Other than those two things, the R231 SL’s are magnificent cars. The SL450 is a true bargain and has a lightness to it that is quite enticing. Good luck to you.
P.S. I believe that most dealers will give a reasonable discount on a new SL450 or 550.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
In the market for new SL

My experience is somewhat similar to yours Streamliner. I had a 2004 SL500 that I worked hard to keep in tip top condition. We took a 10 day, 3000 mile road trip from Nor Cal up and over the Canadian border and back via Yelllowstone. The car never missed a beat. Sadly it was totaled on the last day of the trip. Nobody was hurt, but they couldn't put the car back together under the insurance company budget.

I spent 5 months finding the right replacement and ended up with a 2013 low mileage SL550 which I love. Good things - the extra power, the great new technology, an up to date audio system with Bluetooth etc., Magic Sky... Not so good things - no ABC and the poorly balanced sound system that you mention.

My experience in NorCal is that there aren't many low mileage relatively new, well spec'd SL's around here and the good ones sell quickly, especially at this time of year. If you find one that looks interesting, get to it fast and don't expect to be able to haggle too much. I missed two because I hesitated. My daily driver is a C300. I had a choice of 5 CPO at the local dealer and was able to negotiate a deep discount. Buying the SL was a very different experience.

Good luck!
Gary
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Mercedes, BMW
Thanks Gary for the reply. I am having issues finding one that I like near Sacramento. I went to one of the local dealerships yesterday and they had zero SL's on the lot. They are affiliated with two other dealerships and they didn't have a 2017 or 2018 on their lot either. I saw one down in Newport Beach where I bought my S550 and they have a 2017 SL550 for $99k. It is a nice one with only 5k miles. I am looking at that one but it doesn't have a couple of options that I like (magic sky and abc). I will continue to look but suspect it will take a while...my wife likes the Porsche 911 Targa 4S so I started looking at those yesterday. They are more expensive but hold their value better. Probably the SL but maybe the Porsche...part of buying nice cars is the fun at choosing them, right? Thanks again for replying to my post...once I buy I will post pictures.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by DaveSol
...part of buying nice cars is the fun at choosing them, right?.........
I would reword that: A huge part of buying nice cars, is the fun of ORDERING the car and having it exactly as you want it. It does take 8 weeks or so, but what’s 8 weeks compared to how long you will have the car? AND, to get ABC—which might be in 5% (probably less) of the SL450 or 550 models that have been built—you pretty much must order a car to get it. By the way, with the 2018 models, ABC includes the “Curve” feature, which I have on my S560. Driving a car with this feature is a truly amazing and enjoyable experience.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Mercedes, BMW
Streamliner, I agree I could have worded it better. You are right and if I can't find a slightly used 2017 SL550 I will order one with options I want. I still wonder if Magic Sky is worth it...I have not seen one in person so not sure if that is a gimmick or not. The ABC on your S560 sounds amazing and I would like to have that as well. Thanks for replying...not matter what when in the market for a car it is an exciting time.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I would reword that: A huge part of buying nice cars, is the fun of ORDERING the car and having it exactly as you want it. It does take 8 weeks or so, but what’s 8 weeks compared to how long you will have the car? AND, to get ABC—which might be in 5% (probably less) of the SL450 or 550 models that have been built—you pretty much must order a car to get it. By the way, with the 2018 models, ABC includes the “Curve” feature, which I have on my S560. Driving a car with this feature is a truly amazing and enjoyable experience.

mine is a 2017 and my ABC includes curve (CV mode in addition to C, S, S+ & I)...might be different in the USA. The car can also be raised and lowered for going over speed bumps etc and parking nose in to kerbs.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 and SL500
In the market for new SL

My better half doesn't like Porsche. I showed her several while out and about, but no interest so my decision was easier. I did think about trading the C300 so I would have one car, an AMG CLS, instead two, but we have a dog that loves the car. He sheds and makes such a mess of the back seats, even with a cover. I couldn't get to grips with the idea of an expensive luxury car where half of it is for the dog! He is too big for the SL so not a problem.

I'm sure ordering exactly the SL you want must be a great experience, it's not something I've ever done, but I'm sure you would get royal treatment at the dealer and the right weather is already here... I wasn't sure if Magic Sky was a gimmick, but having lived with it I find I use it a lot. On an average day it lets in extra light and makes the cabin a really nice place to be. On hot days with the roof up, I hit the switch and the interior stays cooler. Silly name, but a really good option in my book. I didn't know about CV mode on ABC, wow!

Searching for the right SL in NorCal was a little frustrating. What looked like the right car appeared in the inventory of a dealer, but when I called the same day, they told me it was already sold. It was still listed a couple of weeks later, so I called again and was told it was being shipped out to another branch out of state, which was strange because it came into Nor Cal from their Texas branch. Not sure what that was about. It was also the first time I came across the 'No Haggle' dealers, so I was taken by surprise when I tried to make a deal with a 'car dealer' on a clearly over priced car, only to be told 'We don't make deals...' It took me a couple of days and some internet research to get my head around that one ;-) Turns out I had pushed all the wrong buttons - cash buyer, no trade-in, no interest in paint protection etc... and I hit them with a realistic price so I had taken away all their options to make money.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide.
Gary
Old 05-07-2018, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by NiceMerc
My better half doesn't like Porsche. I showed her several while out and about, but no interest so my decision was easier. I did think about trading the C300 so I would have one car, an AMG CLS, instead two, but we have a dog that loves the car. He sheds and makes such a mess of the back seats, even with a cover. I couldn't get to grips with the idea of an expensive luxury car where half of it is for the dog! He is too big for the SL so not a problem.

I'm sure ordering exactly the SL you want must be a great experience, it's not something I've ever done, but I'm sure you would get royal treatment at the dealer and the right weather is already here... I wasn't sure if Magic Sky was a gimmick, but having lived with it I find I use it a lot. On an average day it lets in extra light and makes the cabin a really nice place to be. On hot days with the roof up, I hit the switch and the interior stays cooler. Silly name, but a really good option in my book. I didn't know about CV mode on ABC, wow!

Searching for the right SL in NorCal was a little frustrating. What looked like the right car appeared in the inventory of a dealer, but when I called the same day, they told me it was already sold. It was still listed a couple of weeks later, so I called again and was told it was being shipped out to another branch out of state, which was strange because it came into Nor Cal from their Texas branch. Not sure what that was about. It was also the first time I came across the 'No Haggle' dealers, so I was taken by surprise when I tried to make a deal with a 'car dealer' on a clearly over priced car, only to be told 'We don't make deals...' It took me a couple of days and some internet research to get my head around that one ;-) Turns out I had pushed all the wrong buttons - cash buyer, no trade-in, no interest in paint protection etc... and I hit them with a realistic price so I had taken away all their options to make money.

Gary
As somebody else mentioned. price up a new one and see what the dealer will do. I got mine for the price of a 1 year old being offered by dealers and I had over £10,000 in extras.....
Old 05-07-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by NiceMerc

Gary
As somebody else mentioned. price up a new one and see what the dealer will do. I got mine for the price of a 1 year old being offered by dealers and I had over £10,000 in extras.....
Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.

Does this feature have the ability to raise and lower the car as before? Still waiting for news when if at all we might see a "brand new" 550 or 450?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by rorywquin
Sounds good, the trouble is that if you go to a dealer looking to exchange your old car at the same time, you usually get burnt. Anyone got any ideas what I could expect for mine going this route? 2013 SL 550. 53K. Good condition. All the usual options including upgraded wheels apart from Panorama Roof(don't think they had this at the time, but might be wrong) and ABC. Thx.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Magic Sky control is worth it to me. Aside from working very well, it's an impressive option to show people. Simple concept, but like magic to some.

I also ordered my car with ABC and would do it again, but it's a very complex and pricey system. Service rep told me around 6-7 years things start to go bad. My car is a 2013 with 11,100 miles. At the four year mark I opted to get a two year extended warranty from MB (some dealers on the site heavily discount them without hassle) for $2,500. Shortly thereafter a ABC pump failed up front. Was told that was a $900 repair out of warranty. Just had the 5 year annual service and mentioned the front end seemed slightly squirrely in the Comfort setting and to check out the ABC system. In the process of doing so, they discovered the rear right ABC strut leaking. They billed MB $3600 for that repair and told me I would have paid approx. 30% more out of warranty. On the service summary, they also noted the ABC high and low ride height out of spec and adjusted. There was certainly no indications or error messages associated with that and I wondered if that has been a problem for awhile.

Thinking of getting a S560 coupe or cabriolet, but I'm beginning to get concerned about ABC on something I plan to keep outside of the warranty. I agree with those that mention that you'll rarely ever see a new SL on the lot with that option. Most people won't pay for it.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-11-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Add a comment
Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by BigHat
Magic Sky control is worth it to me. Aside from working very well, it's an impressive option to show people. Simple concept, but like magic to some.

I looked it and honestly couldn't see the value or utility (for me) .....even last year in France and Germany when the temps were in the high 30s, I never needed to close the roof liner. I cannot see what it adds - other than magically dimming the roof- I opened my liner when I got the car and have never moved it since........my only regret is that I did not get the ventilated seats due to an error in the MB (UK) catalogue at the time......It said that "active contour seats" were ventilated....turned out to be incorrect :-( ---but it rains & is cold most of the time here .......

SL 400 (367hp) (AMG line - bigger brake discs, sports exhaust ????, AMG alloys and some AMG styling apparently ....oh nearly forgot....... the fancy AMG floor mats) ) , ABC (with Curve Tilt), Active Multi Contour Seats - Heated, Dash Clock, Full Driver Assist Package, Reverse Camera, Electric Wind Deflector, Air Scarf, Ambient Lighting, Larger Fuel Tank, Cupholders.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by branmin
Does this feature have the ability to raise and lower the car as before? Still waiting for news when if at all we might see a "brand new" 550 or 450?
Hi Branmin! Yes, the car raises and lowers as before...
Still no news on the next SL other than some mules for testing the platform. Personally I believe that there is a certain amount of uncertainty which will decide on the timing and some design elements. At the moment, MB has the most convertible models of any car manufacturer in the world and there maybe some thinning out the model palette coming...
Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Originally Posted by DaveSol
Streamliner, I agree I could have worded it better. You are right and if I can't find a slightly used 2017 SL550 I will order one with options I want. I still wonder if Magic Sky is worth it...I have not seen one in person so not sure if that is a gimmick or not. The ABC on your S560 sounds amazing and I would like to have that as well. Thanks for replying...not matter what when in the market for a car it is an exciting time.
As for me, Magic Sky would be a waste of money ($2,500). I drive with the top dropped almost all of the time. When not, I simply open or close the screen with one easy and quick push, and I almost always keep it closed anyway. I would not even pay a dollar for Magic Sky. Just something else to be a problem, and for what? Nothing!

As for the ABC option, my '18 SL550 drives and rides as nicely as I could imagine and for $4,090 less. If folks would just read the performance specs on both ABC and non-ABC, they would see that they are basically the same. One is springs and one is hydraulics subject to break down and to incur leaks. The only real difference is that with ABC you can raise and lower the car if needed, and it comes with curve, and my spring car takes curves like it is on rails. And, I have not needed to raise or lower my car. See below:

Springs: "For more nimble, precise handling, virtually all components of the 4-wheel multilink suspension are made of rigid, lightweight aluminum. The semi-active Adaptive Damping System continually adjusts to driving inputs and the road surface, and can respond at each wheel in just 10 milliseconds to sharpen handling while the ride stays silky."

ABC: "In the ABC system, a computer detects body movement from sensors located throughout the vehicle, and controls the action of the active suspension with the use of hydraulic servomechanisms. The hydraulic pressure to the servos is supplied by a high pressure radial piston hydraulic pump. A total of 13 sensors continually monitor body movement and vehicle level and supply the ABC controller with new data every ten milliseconds."

Note that both systems do so in 10 milliseconds! One does simply on springs and one using highly complex pumps, hydraulics, computer, etc., and for what? ABC is $4,090 with breakdowns and leaks. There are reasons other than costs that dealers do not recommend
ABC. My dealer cared enough about me to advise me to run from ABC. I have always liked getting the "BEST" so I could have been an easy target for ABC, especially with my logic that if it cost more then ABC must SOMEHOW be better. But, thankfully I listened to my dealer and did NOT order ABC! I am extremely happy with my car on springs!

Last edited by SLclass; 05-12-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes SL 450
Yes !

Originally Posted by SLclass
As for me, Magic Sky would be a waste of money ($2,500). I drive with the top dropped almost all of the time. When not, I simply open or close the screen with one easy and quick push, and I almost always keep it closed anyway. I would not even pay a dollar for Magic Sky. Just something else to be a problem and for what? Nothing!

As for the ABC option, my '18 SL550 drives and rides as nicely as I could imagine and for $4,090 less. If folks would just read the performance specs on both ABC and non-ABC, they would see that they are basically the same. One is springs and one is hydraulics subject to break down and to incur leaks. The only real difference is that with ABC you can raise and lower the car if needed, and it comes with curve, and my spring car takes curves like it is on rails. And, I have not needed to raise or lower my car. If I ever did, I would simply turn around and not return! LOL See below:

Springs: "For more nimble, precise handling, virtually all components of the 4-wheel multilink suspension are made of rigid, lightweight aluminum. The semi-active Adaptive Damping System continually adjusts to driving inputs and the road surface, and can respond at each wheel in just 10 milliseconds to sharpen handling while the ride stays silky. The semi-active Adaptive Damping System continually adjusts to driving inputs and the road surface, and can respond at each wheel in just 10 milliseconds to sharpen handling while the ride stays silky."

ABC: "In the ABC system, a computer detects body movement from sensors located throughout the vehicle, and controls the action of the active suspension with the use of hydraulic servomechanisms. The hydraulic pressure to the servos is supplied by a high pressure radial piston hydraulic pump. A total of 13 sensors continually monitor body movement and vehicle level and supply the ABC controller with new data every ten milliseconds."

Note that both systems do so in 10 milliseconds. One simply on springs and one using highly complex pumps, hydraulics, computer, etc. and for what? $4,090 with breakdowns and leaks. There are reasons other than costs that dealers do not recommend
ABC. Thankfully my reps cared enough about me to advise me to run from ABC. So glad I listened as I have always liked getting the "BEST" so I would have been an easy target for ABC,. Thankfully I did listen!
I totally Agree - my 2018 is on Springs, and the ride is perfect - around corners like on rails too - ABC = too much to go wrong, and in later years will be expensive to fix ! Also
I have never used the screen on the roof either !

Phil
Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
I have MS and I agree it's a waste of money, To each his own.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I mean no offense to anyone here, but for anyone to say that an ABC equipped SL rides no better than a standard suspension SL is just plain wrong. For a 2-seat, sporty type car, the standard suspension SL has a decent, fairly comfortable ride, when compared to similar types of cars. However, when Active Body Control or ABC as it is commonly known is added, the car is transformed into a car that rides incredibly smooth over uneven roads and handles significantly better, removing virtually any and all “drama” one might encounter with the standard suspension. The very powerful SL550’s, without ABC, tend to experience “wheel hop” and other crazy gyrations when stomped on from a standing start. ABC does away with that. With the face lifted 2017 model, the “Curve” feature was added to the ABC package, which makes the car slightly lean into curves, sort of like a motorcycle. I have it on my S560 and I can tell you that it is nothing short of SPECTACULAR! That one feature alone is worth the price of the ABC option IMO.

As for possible maintenance problems with ABC, it’s a complicated system and over many years, it will require repairs, some of which can be very expensive. However if you are ordering a new SL, with the idea of keeping it for 3 to 5 years and maybe even up to 10 years, I would not anticipate any problems arising, if the car is maintained properly. All of the R230 SL models, produced between 2003 and 2012, came with ABC as standard equipment. I had my 2004 SL500 for 12 years and never had an ABC problem, except early on and that was fixed under warranty. The current ABC systems have been enhanced, refined and better engineered, to the point where they are very reliable. To this point, know that all SL63 & SL65 models come with ABC as standard equipment.

Dealers will poo-poo ABC, because they want to sell you a car that they have on the lot, or one they can easily obtain. New non-AMG SL’s with ABC are virtually impossible to find, as dealers refuse to order them for stock with the $4K+ ABC option that very few folks know about, let alone understand. To me, buying most any new MB, without specially ordering the car just the way you want it, is a great pleasure and an exciting experience lost. Ordering a new SL without ABC, IMO, is just plain NUTS!

We all tend to defend choices we have made. If you bought your new R231 without ABC and are happy with it, I think that’s great. If you are thinking of buying a new one, go for the truly fabulous ABC. If you value ride quality and drama free handling, you will be so glad you did.

Last edited by Streamliner; 05-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by SLclass
As for me, Magic Sky would be a waste of money ($2,500).
As for the ABC option, my '18 SL550 drives and rides as nicely as I could imagine and for $4,090 less. !
There is a massive difference in the ride with ABC. ABC also keeps the body level during acceleration and braking...........The ride in C/CV is proper 'GT' and then the S and S+ is stiff and hard (but with the levelling benefits of ABC) like my SLK 350 (R172) was....Absolutely worth every cent to get ABC.

Everyone needs to justify what they purchased.......me included ;-)

Last edited by rorywquin; 05-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
etc............. If you are thinking of buying a new one, go for the truly fabulous ABC. If you value ride quality and drama free handling, you will be so glad you did.
Correct ---even the simple benefit of being able to raise the car for speed humps and kerbs is worth the money.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
Everyone needs to justify what they purchased.......me included ;-)[/QUOTE]

After reading tons of information and taking advice from countless folks, including my dealer reps, I special ordered my car with exactly what I wanted based on what I concluded. Just maybe I would have decided on ABC, if I could have found one equipped with it for a test drive, which also added to my decision not to order ABC. I was in the mode of thinking that since I could not locate a dealer with an ABC car, all of my dealer reps were saying it would be a waste of money, and their own mechanics were advising me against it based on their experiences of service and repairs, I decided against ABC.

What I am saying is that I initially thought I wanted ABC, but I changed my mind after all of the negativities that I encountered. Perhaps if MB would do a better job of marketing options, such as ABC, with their dealerships, like requiring them to have one ABC SL available or at least one per so many dealerships in a given area, and educating them about how it might be worth the 4k+, I just might have ABC on my specially ordered '18 SL550...maybe not... But, at this point, I am very happy with my decision. Maybe ignorance is bliss in my case, but I may never know...

Last edited by SLclass; 05-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: In the market for new SL