SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Coming Back to the SL World

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 SL550
Coming Back to the SL World

Hi all. I previously had a 2008 SL550. I went away to a different brand (bucket list item), but I have decided that I want to come back to the SL. Currently looking at CPO'd 15/16 SL550's. Aside from basic color and interior preferences, I have a few questions if I may? To set them up. I am coming back to the SL from a more sports car oriented car as I now know I want to be back in a GT. I am not going to be going to a track or really hammering around twisty country roads, so I want a cruiser with good performance that is comfortable for long distance trips, which the SL is perfect for.

- How much difference is there between the 18 inch and 19 inch wheel setups in terms of comfort? I know that the 19's fill the wheel-well better, but the bigger tire on the 18's will handle potholes etc better. Your driving impressions please.

- How good is the Magic Sky roof? I have driven a car with it, but I am not convinced that it is a must have, as I will probably just drop the roof.

- For anyone with a 2016. Do you really notice the extra 20 BHP, given that the torque is the same?

- Soft close doors. Really necessary or just something else to go wrong?

- ABC. I know that it's a controversial topic. I had it on my last SL as it was standard. I liked it, but I was always mindful of the maintenance aspect and the chance for it to leave you stranded. Unless the rest of the car is exactly the way I want it, but it has ABC, then I think that I am going with the standard suspension.

My only really must haves at the moment are main warranty still active, the Distronic Plus package, car is not white (wife's only rule).

I like the black ash trim and although black paint looks good for 5 minutes after washing, it quickly looks dirty again. Same for piano black trim showing the dust; I have it in my daily driver.

Comments and R231 ownership impressions welcomed. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
For my location Magic Sky would be a waste of money. Here on the Texas Gulf Coast it is hot and sunny most of the year and I want the sunlight as blocked out as possible. Otherwise the roof is down for driving.
I went from a 2008 to a 2017 SL and really like the changes. Had huge/expensive problems with ABC on the 2008 so opted for the standard ride on the 2017 and all is well. Love the nine speed transmission!

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 07-07-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Picked up a 2013 CPO with 15K miles on it two years ago. All service records came with the car, and I maintain my vehicles 'by the book', or in today's world, by the computer. No issues for me at all, just putting on tires @ 30K miles. Color was a bigger deal to me than some of the other options. We elected to go Lunar Blue, which we really like, with the grey interior. Agree with Utopia on the Magic Sky, as most of my time tooling around is with the roof down; interstate driving being with the top up. Can't comment on the ABC, others have more experience than I do, however the sprung SL550 is a most spirited driver with the shocks in the sport setting. Other than that, this car is described by one of my gear-head buddies as being 'the car that other cars want to be when they grow up'. Great touring car, excellent streetable performance, surprising gas mileage, and still a head turner. To locate my car I used the M-B CPO website, as well as cross referencing on CarGurus to see how long the car had been in inventory as well as any pricing changes. Welcome back to the SL world, and enjoy the drive!

Last edited by TennesseeZ4; 07-07-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:14 PM

2018 SL550
Thanks for the insight. Any thoughts on wheel size; what do you have?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Like you, I came from an R230, a 2004 SL500 that I had since new. I had that car for 12 years. I got a CPO 2013 SL550 and the car is better in every way over my 2004, with two exceptions: I REALLY miss ABC and the sound system in the 2013 doesn’t sound as good, due to a design flaw in all R231’s, which is well documented in various threads on this forum. I’m very fussy about ride quality. My 2004 with ABC rode like a dream over dips and bumps. The 2013 rides great over smooth roads, but you feel every bump, which is not a big deal to most owners, but I find it annoying. I have 18” wheels on mine, with non-run flat tires, so the ride is as good as it is going to get in a non-ABC car.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Hi all. I previously had a 2008 SL550. I went away to a different brand (bucket list item), but I have decided that I want to come back to the SL. Currently looking at CPO'd 15/16 SL550's. Aside from basic color and interior preferences, I have a few questions if I may? To set them up. I am coming back to the SL from a more sports car oriented car as I now know I want to be back in a GT. I am not going to be going to a track or really hammering around twisty country roads, so I want a cruiser with good performance that is comfortable for long distance trips, which the SL is perfect for.

- How much difference is there between the 18 inch and 19 inch wheel setups in terms of comfort? I know that the 19's fill the wheel-well better, but the bigger tire on the 18's will handle potholes etc better. Your driving impressions please.

- How good is the Magic Sky roof? I have driven a car with it, but I am not convinced that it is a must have, as I will probably just drop the roof.

- For anyone with a 2016. Do you really notice the extra 20 BHP, given that the torque is the same?

- ABC. I know that it's a controversial topic. I had it on my last SL as it was standard. I liked it, but I was always mindful of the maintenance aspect and the chance for it to leave you stranded. Unless the rest of the car is exactly the way I want it, but it has ABC, then I think that I am going with the standard suspension.

My only really must haves at the moment are main warranty still active, the Distronic Plus package, car is not white (wife's only rule).

I like the black ash trim and although black paint looks good for 5 minutes after washing, it quickly looks dirty again. Same for piano black trim showing the dust; I have it in my daily driver.

A quick search will probably yield a good amount of answers to your questions; it is a quiet forum and to some extent this is a testament just how well these cars perform. More or less a non-issue car given that it on the market for 5 years already.

We have had a couple 2013 models and now have a 2017 which is the current design. The 2017 is a better choice over the 16, apart from money, because you get the 9 speed transmission, along with the higher output engine, better exhaust and of course all of the facelift bits...
For just the engine output I wouldn't worry, the engine is very strong and even the 2013 was a quick as our SL55 and SL600 (at least to 60mph).
I like the soft close doors. Had them on many cars and always order them. Cheap and nice option. The only thing is that it will slow down the process or locking the car as you have to wait for the door to be fully closed and the windows rising to the final position until you can lock the car. That's fixed on the MY17 (not sure about MY15/16). No biggie to be sure.
We had the black ash trim on every SL since I love the Porcelain white/Black interior and that is the only wood I would pick. No fan of piano black...
Magic Sky is nice but the mileage may vary by location, as stated. We are in MN and I love it. The one thing that many don't get is that the roof dramatically reduces UV radiation, so it's easy on the skin
Apart from ABC, the tires define much of the ride comfort of the car, not the wheel size. With non-run flats, the car is very comfortable on 19". We have 19" in front and 20" in the rear (SL63/65 setup) with Michelin PS4s tires. Prior it was Michelin PSS. Awesome tires until it gets cold.
The following users liked this post:
Utopia Texas (07-07-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
My car has the AMG package with the 19" AMG wheels, 255/35 front, and 285/30 rear. As noted just moving away from the run-flats to the non-run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I do like the wheels, both the look and the ease of cleaning them.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4
My car has the AMG package with the 19" AMG wheels, 255/35 front, and 285/30 rear. As noted just moving away from the run-flats to the non-run flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I do like the wheels, both the look and the ease of cleaning them.
I am a firm believer in Michelin tires. Best tires money can buy, at least on the performance side and the SL needs performance tires.
It is unfortunate that Michelin is so picky on manufacturing only certain tire sizes so you have to pick what you can get. The Pilot Super Sport is a fantastic tire; I got the PS4s because they were available and are a newer and better design. Best in class along with the sport cup 2’s
TennesseeZ4 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

What car are you coming from?
Old 07-09-2018, 02:46 PM

2018 SL550
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
What car are you coming from?
2010 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster. Awesome car, makes you feel special driving it, but I want more of a GT car again and for me that has to be an SL.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
2010 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster. Awesome car, makes you feel special driving it, but I want more of a GT car again and for me that has to be an SL.
Define GT car. I would have thought that an Aston Martin Vantage would have been one of the ultimate GT cars. Really what I am asking is what are you seeking from the SL that the Vantage didn't have. One thing for sure is it's not styling.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Define GT car. I would have thought that an Aston Martin Vantage would have been one of the ultimate GT cars. Really what I am asking is what are you seeking from the SL that the Vantage didn't have. One thing for sure is it's not styling.
Agreed. Aston’s are classic GT’s. Beautiful cars but also not that quick unless it’s a Vanquish. I remember test driving a 2016 or so James Bond edition DB9 or DBS (don’t recall) and it was a stunning car that sounded absolutely fantastic! The letdown was the ancient infotainment/Nav. And frankly the speed.
Not slow but definetely not fast. Slower than an SL550 by a bit and a low sensation of torque which of course was normal for an NA engine.
MBNUT1 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
I haven’t cared for the looks of the Aston-Martin since the DB-5. I’ve also heard that some models—even current offerings—can be quite uncomfortable after an hour or two of driving. There isn’t much out there that competes with the SL.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 AM

2018 SL550
The Vantage was designed to be more of a sports car than the other models like the DB9, DB11, DBS and Vanquish which are GT's. The Vantage is not like a Lotus or similar as a sports car, but it definitely has a different feel to the other AM models; you can tell the difference when you actually drive them. The brakes and steering (hydraulic) are superb so you really get great road feedback unlike more modern electric steering systems.

As to performance, the 05 to 18 Vantage is now old technology, but it still produces numbers that most people will never fully experience other than during short bursts of lower to mid-range speed acceleration. Actual top speed of about 180MPH (V8 version) vs MB limited 130MPH with the SL550 makes this debate academic for real world use.

No problems for me with long journeys in my Aston; very comfortable.

All that said, I really liked my R230 SL550, I want a hard top convertible with a bit more trunk space than the Vantage. I fully intended to go for the SL63, but I don't like clutched transmissions unless they are a true manual; torque converters are much better when stuck in traffic and last much longer than clutches. The SL550 performance is sufficient for me now and the comfort items make it a great, maybe the best, grand touring car out there.

I have now owned an Aston Martin and a Jaguar E-Type, so those are crossed off my bucket list. Other than having two Lotus Elan's, I have never repeated with a car model, but I will be coming back to the SL.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I haven’t cared for the looks of the Aston-Martin since the DB-5. I’ve also heard that some models—even current offerings—can be quite uncomfortable after an hour or two of driving. There isn’t much out there that competes with the SL.

Different strokes for different folks. I think that modern AM coupes are some of the most beautiful cars ever designed. While I think that the precurrent facelift SL is a fine desirable car and impressive looking in the wild I find the front end to be accepted as opposed to desired. The post facelift front end is a huge improvement.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 07-13-2018 at 09:27 PM.