SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: New SL model? What’s the latest news? Anybody???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2020 | 11:25 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by Robertz
I have got a smartbox from Joyeauto installed in my car, it works perfect!
What the **** does that have to do with a very old thread? Quit bumping it.
Old 04-13-2020 | 11:47 PM

2016 SL400
Originally Posted by Keon
What the **** does that have to do with a very old thread? Quit bumping it.
He's a spammer,
Old 04-17-2020 | 06:00 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Well you will just have to get one of these then....been a bit of a delay but should be out end of the year or early next depending on this damn Virus. Been inside one and the upgrades to the interior is stunning.

White for me is coming. So if the new SL has a cloth top well I have the hardboy to play with anyway.

Old 04-17-2020 | 06:36 PM

'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by branmin
Well you will just have to get one of these then....been a bit of a delay but should be out end of the year or early next depending on this damn Virus. Been inside one and the upgrades to the interior is stunning.

White for me is coming. So if the new SL has a cloth top well I have the hardboy to play with anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj4xfCd3hcE
Looks nice, but it is still just a Chevy Corvette. Great for some enthusiasts and for the occasional track day perhaps, but how's the comfort level and the luggage space? The Corvette serves a different purpose and a different customer than an SL.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020 | 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Corvette has a different demographic but the car is supposed to be much softer and with a better interior (3LT). Good luggage space too. Overall it appears to be the best Corvette to date...
Personally I think the exterior is not that great looking, especially the rear (and spoiler) but those things are personal preference. I

The car is a performance bargain to be sure but the price discussion is silly when people mention the $60k price tag. Nobody gets that car; I ended up at $98k on the convertible.
Old 04-17-2020 | 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I ended up at $98k on the convertible.
OK, so did you buy one and do you have it yet? Congratulations! What color? How 'bout a photo or two?
Old 04-17-2020 | 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by slk55er
OK, so did you buy one and do you have it yet? Congratulations! What color? How 'bout a photo or two?
No. Just the configurator The convertible isn’t even out yet.
The biggest issue IMO is the stigma associated with a Corvette. Sounds strange but my wife would likely not sit in that car

Plus we already have a fast car or two...
Old 04-17-2020 | 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, 2024 BMW I7 xDrive60
I saw two new Corvettes on the road last week, both white. One had the trim painted white and looked WAY better that way. Looks pretty good in person. I believe—and actually HOPE—that this new Stingray removes much of the stigma that the marque has built up over the past several decades. I’d like to see them offer a softer, more luxurious version of this new car, but I’m pretty impressed with what I‘ve seen so far. I’ve owned many Corvettes, mostly ‘63 to ‘67 models. The Orange color is growing on me.

Last edited by Streamliner; 04-17-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:08 AM

1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
Streamliner

Does this mean you are ditching the SL for the C8 ????

PS: I too like the C8 orange HT convertible and am tempted. Problem is only have 3 car garage and I like the SL too much to not have it and the C8 not same level of refinement and is w/o the autonomous features , wife won't give up her 1986 560SL like new with 30K miles and I need the MB 4 dr for business.
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by steve sl550
Streamliner

Does this mean you are ditching the SL for the C8 ????

PS: I too like the C8 orange HT convertible and am tempted. Problem is only have 3 car garage and I like the SL too much to not have it and the C8 not same level of refinement and is w/o the autonomous features , wife won't give up her 1986 560SL like new with 30K miles and I need the MB 4 dr for business.
I can’t imagine selling my SL. I love the way it drives too much and don’t think I’ll ever find something I like more. However, the new Stingray is very tempting as an additional car, but it’s all just fooling with the configurator at this point. In 2009, while I still had my 2004 SL500, I bought a new 911 coupe with a stick shift. I really liked it, but since it and the SL were my “fun” cars, I found that I chose to drive the SL more often, so I sold the Porsche. I sure do miss the way that magnificent transmission shifted though! Too bad sticks are disappearing.

Old 04-18-2020 | 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I saw two new Corvettes on the road last week, both white. One had the trim painted white and looked WAY better that way. Looks pretty good in person. I believe—and actually HOPE—that this new Stingray removes much of the stigma that the marque has built up over the past several decades. I’d like to see them offer a softer, more luxurious version of this new car, but I’m pretty impressed with what I‘ve seen so far. I’ve owned many Corvettes, mostly ‘63 to ‘67 models. The Orange color is growing on me.
Great photo of you and the 'Vette"!
Old 04-18-2020 | 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great photo of you and the 'Vette"!
It was taken just a few years ago.
Old 04-18-2020 | 05:16 PM

SL 400, GLC300, C300
I can’t imagine selling my SL. I love the way it drives too much and don’t think I’ll ever find something I like more. However, the new Stingray is very tempting as an additional car, but it’s all just fooling with the configurator at this point. In 2009, while I still had my 2004 SL500, I bought a new 911 coupe with a stick shift. I really liked it, but since it and the SL were my “fun” cars, I found that I chose to drive the SL more often, so I sold the Porsche. I sure do miss the way that magnificent transmission shifted though! Too bad sticks are disappearing.
That’s a beautiful 911 you had. Love Guards Red.
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:51 PM

'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Looks nice, but it is still just a Chevy Corvette. Great for some enthusiasts and for the occasional track day perhaps, but how's the comfort level and the luggage space? The Corvette serves a different purpose and a different customer than an SL.
Saying "it's still just a Chevy Corvette" is like the folks over on the Corvette forums saying the SL is still just an over-priced parade float. You're free to belittle or demonize anything, but that has no bearing on how good or bad the C8 really is. You're correct that it's aimed at different people, but GM is trying to drag the car into the more refined arena, and apparently have succeeded. All accounts to date say that the C8 (in any configuration) has much better interior and ride quality, is the first Corvette ever with enough interior space for a main-frame adult human driver to be comfortable, and is much quieter inside. I don't recall the luggage space numbers, but they are better than any of the Porsche sports cars (two trunks, remember). And, unlike the C8 coupe (or the current SL!) , the C8 roadster doesn't lose any of its luggage capacity when the top is down. It will not be as exclusive, by the literal definition of that term, as the SL, but it will still stand as quite an achievement. And though I can't stand the exterior of the C8 (my eyes...my eyes!), as a whole it has progressed enough that I would still consider one if only they hadn't made the interior so outrageously passenger hostile. JMO, but the dash/console arrangement is just idiotic. They might as well have mounted a giant middle finger on the dash in front of the passenger seat, because that's how the necessarily-smaller passenger will feel while crammed in there. The difference between the kind of buyer who won't mind/notice, or who will even celebrate, these shortcomings, and the kind of buyer who demands SL-level comfort/civility for both occupants, is the difference in target buyers for the two cars.

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 04-18-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2020 | 09:11 PM

1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
Hi Bob,

Well said on C8/SL comparison.

Good luck on your quest for a SL and for what my opinion is worth I would go for an SL with ABC (now on my 2'nd SL with ABC and I/we love it).

If I had a 4'th garage space I might go for the C8 for something different but, won't give up the Sl for a C8.

Steve
Old 04-18-2020 | 09:28 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
Saying "it's still just a Chevy Corvette" is like the folks over on the Corvette forums saying the SL is still just an over-priced parade float. You're free to belittle or demonize anything, but that has no bearing on how good or bad the C8 really is. You're correct that it's aimed at different people, but GM is trying to drag the car into the more refined arena, and apparently have succeeded. All accounts to date say that the C8 (in any configuration) has much better interior and ride quality, is the first Corvette ever with enough interior space for a main-frame adult human driver to be comfortable, and is much quieter inside. I don't recall the luggage space numbers, but they are better than any of the Porsche sports cars (two trunks, remember). And, unlike the C8 coupe (or the current SL!) , the C8 roadster doesn't lose any of its luggage capacity when the top is down. It will not be as exclusive, by the literal definition of that term, as the SL, but it will still stand as quite an achievement. And though I can't stand the exterior of the C8 (my eyes...my eyes!), as a whole it has progressed enough that I would still consider one if only they hadn't made the interior so outrageously passenger hostile. JMO, but the dash/console arrangement is just idiotic. They might as well have mounted a giant middle finger on the dash in front of the passenger seat, because that's how the necessarily-smaller passenger will feel while crammed in there. The difference between the kind of buyer who won't mind/notice, or who will even celebrate, these shortcomings, and the kind of buyer who demands SL-level comfort/civility for both occupants, is the difference in target buyers for the two cars.
What is really funny although understandable when you go to different car forums how loyal people are and will not have anything bad said about their car. For example on the corvette board which I have been a member for a very long time, they are a bunch of stuck up snobs who think they all drive a Ferrari and no other car comes close for the odd 60K plus and yet they are fanatics from garage queens(guilty myself) to using the best polishes, more accessories sold than any other car and certainly never taking her out in the rain, I mean that is a disgrace.To our board here, who are a bunch of stuck up snobs who think they all drive the best car on the planet and WTF is a Corvette, I mean, pooy, its General Motors for gawds sake! We big boys here, we drive a Mercedes..boo-hoo. My first car was a mini-cooper S in the swinging 60's in London but my fav as we used to say(bird-puller) was a Jensen Interceptor, felt I was in a rocket, but actually had more fun in a large Gown van that I kept mattress in the back(use your imagination)..I certainly did.

Point is, they are both great cars and we should never knock another another brand as if you are happy with your fiat, then that's all that matters. So save the wave(those that drive vettes will know what I mean) to here's hoping for a great new SL coming our way soon. And with a colored dash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PAPA PA (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

This is the config that I looked at. Sorry, not a fan of orange
In reality I won't get that car. It's just another unpractical car in the garage that will sit around while it snows outside. I am thinking of an EV (now the EQS) or a W223 S-Class. Taycan is in ludicrous pricing range when leased.
We will get another lift for the garage; those things are really great.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-18-2020 at 09:58 PM.
SGTzAMG (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 10:09 PM

AMG SL63
Originally Posted by branmin
What is really funny although understandable when you go to different car forums how loyal people are and will not have anything bad said about their car. For example on the corvette board which I have been a member for a very long time, they are a bunch of stuck up snobs who think they all drive a Ferrari and no other car comes close for the odd 60K plus and yet they are fanatics from garage queens(guilty myself) to using the best polishes, more accessories sold than any other car and certainly never taking her out in the rain, I mean that is a disgrace.To our board here, who are a bunch of stuck up snobs who think they all drive the best car on the planet and WTF is a Corvette, I mean, pooy, its General Motors for gawds sake! We big boys here, we drive a Mercedes..boo-hoo. My first car was a mini-cooper S in the swinging 60's in London but my fav as we used to say(bird-puller) was a Jensen Interceptor, felt I was in a rocket, but actually had more fun in a large Gown van that I kept mattress in the back(use your imagination)..I certainly did.

Point is, they are both great cars and we should never knock another another brand as if you are happy with your fiat, then that's all that matters. So save the wave(those that drive vettes will know what I mean) to here's hoping for a great new SL coming our way soon. And with a colored dash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can’t agree more!
Old 04-18-2020 | 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
truly hope the 2021 SL will keep its signature hardtop convertible. I believe, if it wasn't for the SL's hardtop innovation, there wouldn't be any inspiration for the other automakers to have to have put into their own models / versions of hardtop convertible / spyders

As mentioned by another member above, i hope Mercedes does keep the SL be its own entity and special to its own, because just like the S Class, the SL is one of the originals and long lasting line up of its time.

Classic never goes out of style
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:40 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
Saying "it's still just a Chevy Corvette" is like the folks over on the Corvette forums saying the SL is still just an over-priced parade float.
Both are true. Your own description of your 'Vette as a "garage queen" is probably appropriate. At least an SL can be driven on a regular basis in comfort and style and does not have to be relegated mostly to the garage. But I'd surely take the 'Vette to the track any day -- and to a car show. Different purposes and customer bases.

Last edited by slk55er; 04-19-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2020 | 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Both are true. Your own description of your 'Vette as a "garage queen" is probably appropriate. At least an SL can be driven on a regular basis in comfort and style and does not have to be relegated mostly to the garage. But I'd surely take the 'Vette to the track any day -- and to a car show. Different purposes and customer bases.
I was at the local tire store last week having a flat tire fixed. Up drives a bright yellow Vette to the front door and slowly a 70+ year old fellow gets out and walks to the door hunched over. Sure enough shorts, tennis shoes with white socks and gold chains on his neck. I had to chuckle to myself because I am 66. What exactly do people say to themselves when I drive up in my SL and get out? 😊
TennesseeZ4 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020 | 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by SGTzAMG
truly hope the 2021 SL will keep its signature hardtop convertible. I believe, if it wasn't for the SL's hardtop innovation, there wouldn't be any inspiration for the other automakers to have to have put into their own models / versions of hardtop convertible / spyders

As mentioned by another member above, i hope Mercedes does keep the SL be its own entity and special to its own, because just like the S Class, the SL is one of the originals and long lasting line up of its time.

Classic never goes out of style
So far all the reports, rumors and spy shots indicate the new SL will be a 2+2 with a folding soft top. I agree this is a shame. I will not be a buyer.
Old 04-19-2020 | 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I was at the local tire store last week having a flat tire fixed. Up drives a bright yellow Vette to the front door and slowly a 70+ year old fellow gets out and walks to the door hunched over. Sure enough shorts, tennis shoes with white socks and gold chains on his neck. I had to chuckle to myself because I am 66. What exactly do people say to themselves when I drive up in my SL and get out? 😊
Old guys rule!
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:56 PM

Old guys rule!
Yep. I'll admit that I turn 75 this month. I've been blessed to have some fantastic rides, racing and instructing in days gone by. It started with my '64 MGB purchased in '66 as shown in the photo below. It cost less than a set of tires for the SL.

But here are some thoughts and words to those of you whom I offended with my “just a Chevy Corvette” comment. How's this:

IMHO the SL is still JUST A MERCEDES — an over-priced, cramped roadster that is at the end of its production cycle. It has a retractable hardtop that will be an expensive nightmare to maintain in later years. The optional Active Body Control can be an even more troublesome feature. (I know from experience. Both were on my SL500.)

Bummer. Where is my GTS. Oh, no I traded it. Hmm. I guess I’ll have to actually get the SL550 out of the garage, put on a mask and take a circuitous route to get my curbside grocery pickup. My wife will actually enjoy the ride and we may even put the top down. I love it. Who knew?

Old 04-19-2020 | 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep. I'll admit that I turn 75 this month. I've been blessed to have some fantastic rides, racing and instructing in days gone by. It started with my '64 MGB purchased in '66 as shown in the photo below. It cost less than a set of tires for the SL.

But here are some thoughts and words to those of you whom I offended with my “just a Chevy Corvette” comment. How's this:

IMHO the SL is still JUST A MERCEDES — an over-priced, cramped roadster that is at the end of its production cycle. It has a retractable hardtop that will be an expensive nightmare to maintain in later years. The optional Active Body Control can be an even more troublesome feature. (I know from experience. Both were on my SL500.)
Well we all have our opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours, but I strongly disagree. If the SL is “just a Mercedes,” then so is the C Class Cabriolet. The two cars share the same 3-Pointed Star emblems and that’s about it. The C is for a college girl. The SL is for a ride to the country club. As far as cramped goes, compared to most any other, luxury 2 seat roadster on the market, the SL is damn near spacious, not to mention supremely comfortable. As for the top mechanism and ABC, wonderful systems on high end cars require maintenance and service as they age. Both systems have been improved over those used in the R230 models and so far (I realize that the oldest 231’s are only seven years old), I don’t recall any problems reported here. Lastly, as for “overpriced,” compared to WHAT? Price out a new 911 Cabriolet or a Ferrari Portofino. The SL is an absolute bargain compared to much of anything out there that can be considered a true competitor.

SGTzAMG (04-19-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: New SL model? What’s the latest news? Anybody???