MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R231) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r231-159/)
-   -   SL/R231: Anyone heard when the 2020 SL D.O.G. Will be out? (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r231/738258-anyone-heard-when-2020-sl-d-o-g-will-out.html)

Streamliner 03-10-2019 09:42 PM

Anyone heard when the 2020 SL D.O.G. Will be out?

Has anyone heard when we can expect to see the Dealer Ordering Guide for the 2020 SL models? I know it is only March, but sometimes, when it is the final year for a model, as it is for the R231, MB issues the D.O.G. very early and starts taking last MY orders in the spring of the year before. Since we expect the new SL to be a MY21, launched in 2020, the MY20 SL D.O.G. should be out SOON! Any word?

Utopia Texas 03-10-2019 09:59 PM

Already planning on turning in the one you haven’t received yet??? :)

Streamliner 03-10-2019 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7702276)
Already planning on turning in the one you haven’t received yet??? :)

When I placed my order, I told the dealer that I might cancel the order and go for a 2020 instead, if some new color or other attractive option was offered, when the 2020 D.O.G. was published. I know it’s a long shot, but wanted to keep my options open.:p:

Utopia Texas 03-10-2019 11:03 PM

You are the eternal optimist! Things are written in stone at MB and I doubt that with the change coming up in 2021 they are going to offer color goodies on the last of the hard top convertibles....... :(

Streamliner 03-10-2019 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas (Post 7702323)
You are the eternal optimist! Things are written in stone at MB and I doubt that with the change coming up in 2021 they are going to offer color goodies on the last of the hard top convertibles....... :(

Yes, you are right and I know I’m being a bit crazy, but I wanted to cover all bases, just in case. Actually, one of the main reasons I went for a ‘19 and didn’t wait for a ‘20, is because I feared that they might drop ABC or something else important to me and I didn’t want to chance it. I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but you’ve been here for years and you might remember when I went crazy when they dropped the Mars Red color HALF way through the 2017 model year. I had sold my 2004 SL500 that I had kept for 12 years and was going to order a new one, but decided to wait for the 2018’s. Then, I get the news about Mars Red and instantly try to get a dealer to change an existing, stock order to a Mars Red car for me, but it could not be done. Evidently, MB had a bad batch of Mars Red paint, so, in typical MB fashion, they dropped the color completely. So, here I am, hoping that they don’t decide that Polar White isn’t politically correct, or some such B.S.:wwf:

Utopia Texas 03-10-2019 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7702333)
Yes, you are right and I know I’m being a bit crazy, but I wanted to cover all bases, just in case. Actually, one of the main reasons I went for a ‘19 and didn’t wait for a ‘20, is because I feared that they might drop ABC or something else important to me and I didn’t want to chance it. I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but you’ve been here for years and you might remember when I went crazy when they dropped the Mars Red color HALF way through the 2017 model year. I had sold my 2004 SL500 that I had kept for 12 years and was going to order a new one, but decided to wait for the 2018’s. Then, I get the news about Mars Red and instantly try to get a dealer to change an existing, stock order to a Mars Red car for me, but it could not be done. Evidently, MB had a bad batch of Mars Red paint, so, in typical MB fashion, they dropped the color completely. So, here I am, hoping that they don’t decide that Polar White isn’t politically correct, or some such B.S.:wwf:

Momma always did call you her “Dreamer” ......

allfortheunion 03-10-2019 11:54 PM

Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach told me early May.

allfortheunion 03-15-2019 06:46 PM

Word is there will be no changes at all in colors or options. Premium package will be standard on all models including 450, plus a $900 price increase makes base MSRP for SL450 $95100. Base MSRP for SL550 increases to $114,700.

allfortheunion 03-19-2019 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Came early - here it is:

Streamliner 03-19-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by allfortheunion (Post 7709615)
Came early - here it is:

Sir, you are definitely wired in. Thank you.

It would appear that nothing has changed, other than pricing and the Premium Pkg. now being standard on the 450, just as you had said previously.

So, the R231 will end its run with a whimper, instead of a roar. What a missed opportunity by MB. Oh well. Since it came out in 2013, they treated the R231 as an ugly stepchild, especially here in the U.S. where we were denied the beautiful non-AMG body design that was available in many other countries, photo below.

Over the course of the eight year run, they never addressed the sound system problems, when they very easily could have. The available interior & exterior color choices were hardly varied at all over the eight years. IMO, from day one, it was almost as if MB were wishing that the R231 would just go away. It is a tribute to the cars themselves that folks like us still appreciate them, warts and all. Don’t you just know that many R232 drivers will stop and enviously stare when they see someone raising or lowering an R231 retractable hard top. The new SL, as wonderful as it may—or may not be—will be just another 2+2 rag top. It is the end of an era.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...63264501e.jpeg

jmeyersnv 03-20-2019 01:14 PM

This is such a needless tragedy. All Mercedes-Benz needed to do was to reach into its corporate parts bins to provide the following -- a 12.3" digital instrument cluster; a heads-up display; a 360 degree camera function; and a switchable performance exhaust system -- and, voila! The refreshed SL would again be state-of-the-art as well as wonderfully unique. I know that I would buy one because my only alternatives would be the Bentley Continental V-8 GT announced yesterday, which starting price is $224K, and the Ferrari Portofino, which starting price is $215K.

Streamliner 03-20-2019 01:45 PM

I just noticed something in the 2020 D.O.G., under “Standard Equipment,” as shown below. As far as I know, the SL450 & 550 have identical body work and pretty much everything else, aside from their engines. So what’s up with the 450 having “AMG body styling,” while the 550 has “AMG Line exterior?” Anyone know? I looked back and it says the same thing in the 2019 D.O.G. Anyone???

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...826352dab.jpeg

Wolfman 03-20-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7710363)
I just noticed something in the 2020 D.O.G., under “Standard Equipment,” as shown below. As far as I know, the SL450 & 550 have identical body work and pretty much everything else, aside from their engines. So what’s up with the 450 having “AMG body styling,” while the 550 has “AMG Line exterior?” Anyone know? I looked back and it says the same thing in the 2019 D.O.G. Anyone???

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...826352dab.jpeg

I would be more concerned about the limited availability of ABC. That typically means "not available" to configure due to vendor changes or issues. This could mean that a custom order can't be build or will omit the option...

PHSWOOD 03-20-2019 10:34 PM

Limited Production Capacity

Has anyone out there ordered a 2020 SL with either designo Diamond White metallic paint or ABC and been told that their choice is unavailable because of Limited Production Capacity?