SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: US Sales figures for SL

Old 04-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 SL 450
US Sales figures for SL

There are a lot of reasons why MB has decided to forgo the R231. Some make sense to me, some don't. However, it's hard to ignore the numbers and if, the sales figures listed on www.carsalesbase.com are accurate, it isn't hard to see why MB has decided to change things up with the SL:

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...cedes-benz-sl/

Europe is even worse:

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car...cedes-benz-sl/
Here is a comparison in graph form:http://carsalesbase.com/car-sales-comparison/#Despite the dismal figures, I'm still a believer and will be ordering a 2020 SL later this year.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
I really wonder if Mercedes really even 'expects' SL Class sales to increase with the next model.

Maybe the changes MB intends to make for the next SL generation are really more about driving down SL Class production costs, (by sharing engines and platforms with other MB/AMG models), than about actually trying to build a 'more desirable' SL Class for 2021.

Perhaps MB just decided the best way to increase SL Class profitability is to focus on production economics rather than building an SL with the 'potential', to increase sales volume, but with 'no guarantee' of doing so.

These are challenging times for both MB and the entire Auto Industry. .The changes we are seeing now appear to be more 'revolutionary' than 'evolutionary'...

Your thoughts?

Last edited by bob55; 04-26-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Mercedes is trying to make the car more desirable. Cost efficiency is a must, even on the high-end but prices will increase on the car. I will expect the low-end model to be well above $100k.

Their definition of desirability will likely be different than yours though...
Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 SL 450
Well, they need to do something in light of their first quarter results, but I don't know whether another convertible will do the trick.
  • First-quarter Group unit sales down 4% to 773,800 units
  • Revenue stable at €39.7 billion (Q1 2018: €39.8 billion)
  • Group EBIT significantly lower at €2.8 billion (Q1 2018: €3.3 billion)
  • Slight decrease in net profit to €2.1 billion (Q1 2018: €2.4 billion)
  • Free cash flow of industrial business of minus €2.0 billion mainly due to higher inventories (Q1 2018: plus €1.8 billion)
  • Outlook for 2019: slight growth in unit sales, revenue and earnings still expected
  • Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars: “We cannot and will not be satisfied with this – as expected – moderate start to the year. We now have to work hard to achieve our targets for 2019. Based on our sales planning and the countermeasures we have already initiated, we are confident that we will achieve those targets. In the first few months of this year, we have consistently implemented further elements of our strategy and initiated several important projects: our cooperation at smart with Geely, the development of a joint platform for autonomous driving, and the merger of the mobility services with those of the BMW Group.”
  • Bodo Uebber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG responsible for Finance & Controlling and Daimler Financial Services: “We had a comparatively weak start to the year and face numerous challenges along the entire value chain in all our automotive divisions. This had a negative impact on unit sales and earnings. Above all, high inventories and bottlenecks in the supply chain had a substantial negative impact on the cash flow. Nonetheless, we will continue to invest in our future – sensibly and with a clear focus.”
Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Well from the renderings that I have seen- the next SL will be slightly larger (Since it will be the replacement for the S Cabriolet) much more "swoopy" (Terrible Description) and of course will have the "Fabric" top (that I like) but it will be a beautiful machine and will see sales rise. My thing here is that with sales this low new buyers will get A> Exclusivity - for whatever that is worth to you) and B> Serious discounts for new units?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by Dino333
Well from the renderings that I have seen- the next SL will be slightly larger (Since it will be the replacement for the S Cabriolet) much more "swoopy" (Terrible Description) and of course will have the "Fabric" top (that I like) but it will be a beautiful machine and will see sales rise. My thing here is that with sales this low new buyers will get A> Exclusivity - for whatever that is worth to you) and B> Serious discounts for new units?
That's a bold prediction on your part. but I still remain very skeptical that sales will actually improve with a 'soft top' for the next SL Class model.

There's simply too much soft top 'competition' already from BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, etc, and even from some of MB's own existing 'Cabriolet' models.

The SL has occupied a very unique space among sports cars for the last 17-years by being both a hardtop coupe and a convertible roadster at the push of a button. .With that advantage soon to be lost with the 232's introduction, the SL Class will now face very stiff competition from all the other 'Cabriolet Top' brands.

It's hard for me to see just why the 232 would be any more successful than the 231, especially with the expected 232 price increase!

That said, there usually is an 'initial' pop in sales whenever an entirely new SL model is unveiled. However, I don't think that initial sales surge can be sustained with the soft top. That early sales surge is likely to quickly flatten out and then begin to trend downward. .That's my 'persona'l prediction and although it could be wrong, that's the way I see it.

The only thing likely to change my prediction would be if MB decided to throw an SL 'Coupe' into the 232 mix, but at the present time, I see no signs that is going to happen. At least not for for the first new model year, (The 2021 SL Class)

Time will Tell...

Last edited by bob55; 04-26-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bob55
Bold prediction on your part. but I'm skeptical that sales will improve with a soft top for the next model.

There seems to be too much soft top 'competition' from BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, etc, even from some of MB's own 'Cabriolet' models.

Time will tell....
Either way these are tricky times for Car makers- even for those as mighty as MB. And since the SLK is going away after this year and the new SL will kill the S Cabriolet that pares down the convertible offerings by MB
and the numbers will continue to be small and an "outlier" to sales for MB. Its all about the SUVs at this point- and the C series entry level sedans. All coupes and cabs will be looked at with a wary eye by the big 3 German makers.
But I d predict the new SL will be a fantastically beautiful machine. The current model is nice and I am still considering one- but its not as nice as it should be- kind of awkward from some views- but in looking for a "new" coupe NOTHING is perfect.
The SL may just have the right amount of compromises for me to pull the trigger- it is a weekend cruiser and not my daily so a good 2017/2018 used low miles model with ABC may just be the ticket.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,438 Likes on 951 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by bob55
I really wonder if Mercedes really even 'expects' SL Class sales to increase with the next model.

Maybe the changes MB intends to make for the next SL generation are really more about driving down SL Class production costs, (by sharing engines and platforms with other MB/AMG models), than about actually trying to build a 'more desirable' SL Class for 2021.

Perhaps MB just decided the best way to increase SL Class profitability is to focus on production economics rather than building an SL with the 'potential', to increase sales volume, but with 'no guarantee' of doing so.

These are challenging times for both MB and the entire Auto Industry. .The changes we are seeing now appear to be more 'revolutionary' than 'evolutionary'...

Your thoughts?
Yes, revolutionary. What is staggering to me is the speed of changes. Tech is driving the industry as opposed to the inverse and thus the way people live and drive is also undergoing a radical change. Will coupes even be relevant in another 10-20 years? As quickly as MB is moving towards electrification, SUV/Crossovers, and driverless tech what we want will matter less and less. Also, our generation will not be the target. Think car subscribers, no more purchasing. Its quite possible and real.

As for the SL, I'm sure the new model will be outstanding. MB has to kill it out of the gate as the 231 was not the most well received SL. They will do this by cost cutting through sharing costs with other models. It's the only way. Sad to see the hardtop get bumped but I don't know if they have choice. Weight down, CAFE standards are a must.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 PM

If its 90% of what this rendering is (and the rendering is close no fake mirrors- maybe the rear wont be so exaggerated?) it will be awesome.
http://housez.club/2018/06/16/2021-m...cedes-benz-sl/
Old 04-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

There are no renderings at this time based on anything but somebodies fantasy.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

If its 90% of what this rendering is (and the rendering is close no fake mirrors- maybe the rear wont be so exaggerated?) it will be awesome.
http://housez.club/2018/06/16/2021-m...cedes-benz-sl/
That drawing is complete fantasy unfortunately...

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-27-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
That drawing is complete BS
Wish it wasnt LOL
Old 04-27-2019, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Wish it wasnt LOL
Agreed. I actually modified my response earlier as I agree but there it is too early in the process. People just draw stuff up. This one is took a bunch of styling elements from the Maybach Vision 6 Cab.
Renderings get more realistic when the actual cars ride around in camouflage and unfinished bumpers/lights. It's too early