SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Buying a car that was used for demo/press

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:29 PM

Received 448 Likes on 307 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Ahhhhh yeah the top down rain thing is for sure a possibility, although I would have to guess if it was that much rain inside there would be other damage such as dash light errors from water., or window switches on the fritz, condensation marks inside the displays, etc.. Any dash work can get crazy expensive fast and when you add in 100k cars well............

Could have been enough just to permeate the leather. Or never underestimate the detailer with that “special shine” conditioner. 😞
Either way, that dash is a show stopper ☹️
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (04-18-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz SL550 w/ ABC; 2010 Cadillac SRX 2.8L Turbo
Thanks all for your comments, both here and throughout this forum. As I’ve fallen in love with the R231 and the concept of ABC I’ve read tons of invaluable advice here for months now. This particular car is one of 2 that I can currently find for sale with ABC and both are posted on all the notorious used car sites but what they did to hide this dash defect in the description and 34 photos is atrocious. Tons of excellent photos with a few blurry dash shots in the background and nothing mentioned in the description……yes, I will run. https://www.infinitimonrovia.com/inv...k7da3hf041022/ The other ABC is in AL but they only show 4 exterior photos and won’t send me any more(!)—red flags, anyone? https://www.mbhsv.com/certified/Merc...471b1eabaf.htm

I dig the SL’s for their looks/feel/hardtop convertible and want one as a cruiser here in East Central Florida but also may take it into the Catskill Mtns. of NY as I begin to snowbird back and forth. In flat, 90°-turn FL I don’t think ABC would be much help but in the twisty mountain roads of the Catskills it sure would be nice. I have a medical issue now that makes aggressive driving generally uncomfortable and very tiring. When it began I had to sell my beloved 4Runner and bought a Cadillac SRX for the much smoother ride that it offered. A 550 would be a peach next to the Caddy in my garage. It is SOOO difficult to search for an ABC vehicle online and many comments here (and elsewhere) have sold me on it, but I’ve never even been able to test one in person. I know what to look for and how it was offered through the years but other than inspecting photos and VIN’s it’s almost impossible to easily search for. At this point using MBCPO/Carvana/Cargurus/etc/etc. I’m pretty sure I’ve looked at every advertised SL550 currently in the country. Now at least I can stop frantically searching as I just get updates when a new vehicle is listed. The SLK-types look great too but no cooled seats?? I run hot; it’s a dealbreaker for me.

Anyhoo, that’s my story. And if anyone here is contemplating a sale of thier own vehicle…..please reach out! My dream car would have been the Grand Edition with ABC but of course that doesn’t exist (love that interior). I dislike white exteriors which are about 60% of cars on the road in FL, not so fond of black, my SRX is “Gray Flannel” which is almost identical to Selenite Grey, and I’ve already owned 2 silver cars in the past……please sell me a blue or red! Man, I can’t beleive they stopped selling these just after I wised up!