SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: My worst nightmare: the new SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 04:04 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by Wolfman

To slk55er, the reason why MB isn't using the dual screen (side by side) with MBUX is due to poor ergonomics; too far away to easily reach. You need to come forward to the screen which in fact would be considered risky plus MBUX v1 requires scrolling for most tasks which would be distracting. It does look better than the center screen but works better in a non-touch environment.
Hmm. Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I realize I may not be up to speed because I do not use MBUX. (As I've said, I don't want my car or any device like Google Home or Alexa, etc. listening to my conversations.) The dual screen is not a touch screen, at least not in my CLS. There is no need to "come forward to the screen." Selection and scrolling are done by the mini touchpads on the steering wheel, by the touchpad in the center console, or in the case of a '19 CLS, by the rotary controller in the center console. (Later models of the CLS eliminated the rotary controller in favor of the 2nd generation touchpad.)
Old 07-16-2021, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by slk55er
Hmm. Sorry, I don't understand your comment. I realize I may not be up to speed because I do not use MBUX. (As I've said, I don't want my car or any device like Google Home or Alexa, etc. listening to my conversations.) The dual screen is not a touch screen, at least not in my CLS. There is no need to "come forward to the screen." Selection and scrolling are done by the mini touchpads on the steering wheel, by the touchpad in the center console, or in the case of a '19 CLS, by the rotary controller in the center console. (Later models of the CLS eliminated the rotary controller in favor of the 2nd generation touchpad.)
I should have clarified. Sorry! We have the exact dual screen setup in our 2020 GLE but that one has MBUX and a touchscreen and a trackpad in lieu of the knob. So for a MBUX setup, to use the touchscreen you have to lean forward just a bit to reach the screen. Then you have to swipe either left/right or up/down to get to all functions...

Here is a GLE stock pic for reference...

Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by markbridge

What do you guys think, do you see Jar Jar in the new SL’s interior?
Not really, nor would anyone have that viewing angle in real life. The clown face steering wheel comparo of the early W222 S-Class was more visible on photos but irrelevant in real life.

The center console is a direct evolution of the AMG GT model (albeit button-less)...
Old 07-16-2021, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I should have clarified. Sorry! We have the exact dual screen setup in our 2020 GLE but that one has MBUX and a touchscreen and a trackpad in lieu of the knob. So for a MBUX setup, to use the touchscreen you have to lean forward just a bit to reach the screen. Then you have to swipe either left/right or up/down to get to all functions...

Here is a GLE stock pic for reference...

\
Does the steering wheel in your GLE have the mini trackpads? I find them useful for some functions. For example, I keep my radio display on the small screen to the left of the "Progressive digital speed/tacch" display and scroll through my radio presets with the left mini trackpad. I know we are getting a bit off topic, but intricacies and idiosyncrasies of the display setup on the new SL are significant. You know my opinion...
Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by slk55er
Does the steering wheel in your GLE have the mini trackpads? I find them useful for some functions. For example, I keep my radio display on the small screen to the left of the "Progressive digital speed/tacch" display and scroll through my radio presets with the left mini trackpad. I know we are getting a bit off topic, but intricacies and idiosyncrasies of the display setup on the new SL are significant. You know my opinion...
Every current MB has the trackpads on the steering wheel, including the new S, C, and SL.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by js_cls
Great example, all the Bangle cars despite their criticism did well on the market and have even influenced every single new BMW (as well as cars of other brand) on the road today, with many of those design elements being praised now. As with any new car, there will always be complaints from owners of current vehicles. Its no different on the BMW forums with the new M3 and its drastically ungainly looks, but yet, the car is selling and bringing in a new consumer base.

MB will of course never be able to please everyone, and its clear that with this SL they intend on taking a different direction regardless. The fact that AMG is head of the project and development, as well as all models being that of AMG only, (no regular 450 or 580) only further emphasizes that this SL is trying to cater to a different audience than the current R231 model. The SL’s image over the last decade has deteriorated as the car became bigger, heavier, and more numb, as well as with the introduction of the AMG GT and new and fresh competitors like the Lexus LC and BMW 8-Series.

Those that complain of 2+2 seating should realize that they are likely in the minority, as many consumer surveys from MB and dealerships have been requesting this feature for the SL as its an easy way to bring in more clientele even if the seats are fairly small (example: 911), especially since the amount of drop tops in MB’s lineup will decrease to all but two.

My GM has told me that just based on the online renders alone they have had a few customers call in or stop by about the SL asking when they would arrive, with a decent amount of interest surrounding the vehicle.

The new SL is destined to not please everyone, especially that of current R231 owners, as its a completely different take on the car. In the end, customers will either keep their current vehicles, switch to another brand, or try an R232 and swap for that. I for one can’t wait. While I love classic SL’s, the models that followed after the 2000’s have not peaked my interest. But hearing that AMG will make the SL sportier, more engaging to drive, as well as provide rear seats so I could include my grandkids and/or friends on drives all while being packaged in a fresh and attractive body with a luxurious interior definitely has me excited.
Now that would be a sight, grandpa with the grandkids in the back seat riding around in an SL. Not sure I could stop laughing. Adding two adults? Even funnier. Not sure the rear seats are intended for people, think 911.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by markbridge

What do you guys think, do you see Jar Jar in the new SL’s interior?
I see it, the still yet to be determined touchpad thing is the tongue.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by places
Now that would be a sight, grandpa with the grandkids in the back seat riding around in an SL. Not sure I could stop laughing. Adding two adults? Even funnier. Not sure the rear seats are intended for people, think 911.
You say that but you'd be surprised at the amount of 911 owners who actually use and value the fact that it has the rear seats. I've driven my kids when they were younger in the back of a 996 Cab (which is even smaller than modern 911 rear seats) and it was fine. Its not like I'm taking them across the country.

Last edited by js_cls; 07-18-2021 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
The key to all the new technology in these new cars is the age of the audience that MB is catering too and it is no longer most of us current SL owners.
Someone a few years back asked the age of us members here on the SL forum and most of us were over 60 years old. In general we do not like a lot of the newer bells and whistles but the younger folks in fact want all this “better technology”. As we die off and become fewer we are no longer a target group for sales so MB and other car makers move on. The day of a car looking the same year after year with the same features like the VW Beetle had for many years is long over. We can verbally protest and vote with our wallets but the writing is on the wall. What you see today in cars is the future whether we like it or not......😊
Time to find the best example of the current car that you like and just pamper it forever, as you drive off into the sunset.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Time to find the best example of the current car that you like and just pamper it forever, as you drive off into the sunset.
I agree and will be looking for a later model R231 in a few years. I am curious whether they will depreciate faster after the new SL is released or just the opposite.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:04 AM

The display issue led me to a GLE580

To replace my GLA250 Edition 1, I was expecting to order an AMG version of the new soon-to-be-released GLC Class. But to my disappointment, it has the same touchscreen laptop mounted in the center console that is in the new SL. I've been concerned that the new, soon-upcoming GLE would have this center console touchscreen that I dislike. So yesterday I placed an order for a November build of a GLE580 (mild-hybrid 4 Liter biturbo V8.) It has the two 12 inch digital displays like the ones that I really like in my CLS. I'm sticking with old and current models that are not trying to imitate Tesla with a center console touchscreen which remains a non-starter for me.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
After having extensive amount of time in the new S-Class, I have no worries about the new MBUX system. The touchscreen is super simple and easy to use, and there is still a touchpad on the steering wheel which also works great. Apple CarPlay is finally huge screen and wireless, and always worked much better as a touch based system rather than the touchpad in my opinion. That and the new S-Class interior really wows in person, dealership has been receiving tons of positive feedback on the new cars.
The following users liked this post:
mercedesmax (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 450 Likes on 358 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I agree and will be looking for a later model R231 in a few years. I am curious whether they will depreciate faster after the new SL is released or just the opposite.
I think faster. The old SL sold like crap the last few years. Put it next to the new one and it will look like a dinosaur.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
I think faster. The old SL sold like crap the last few years. Put it next to the new one and it will look like a dinosaur.
That's good if you're a buyer but then again I'll also have one to sell or trade. Hopefully the newer one will depreciate faster and a greater amount.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 450 Likes on 358 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by rmorin49
That's good if you're a buyer but then again I'll also have one to sell or trade. Hopefully the newer one will depreciate faster and a greater amount.
Hard to say. Probably no more than a few hundred a year to the USA.
Yes, it will be good if you are looking to buy a used one.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Newer is not always better and quite often inferior. My many years have taught me to view “new and improved” declarations with great skepticism. The main attributes of the R232 that are being heralded are lighter weight, better handling and being faster. I don’t need or even want ANY of those things, especially wrapped in a seemingly AMG “look alike” package with useless rear seats and a fabric top that will prematurely deteriorate. At the very least, SL’s have always looked relatively unique, but the new car will look so much more generic, which is due to the fact that that’s what it is! Generic, homogenized, pasteurized, PHOOEY!

If this is a dinosaur, I guess I’m Fred Flintstone! YABBA, DABBA, DOOOOOO!

Old 07-25-2021, 09:19 PM

Newer is not always better and quite often inferior. My many years have taught me to view “new and improved” declarations with great skepticism. The main attributes of the R232 that are being heralded are lighter weight, better handling and being faster. I don’t need or even want ANY of those things, especially wrapped in a seemingly AMG “look alike” package with useless rear seats and a fabric top that will prematurely deteriorate. At the very least, SL’s have always looked relatively unique, but the new car will look so much more generic, which is due to the fact that that’s what it is! Generic, homogenized, pasteurized, PHOOEY!

If this is a dinosaur, I guess I’m Fred Flintstone! YABBA, DABBA, DOOOOOO!

AMEN! I totally agree. Long live the dinosaur!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I am very happy to have been able to own a R230 and two R231’s and will be keeping my ‘2019 SL550. Though I appreciate that some want all the new technology in the R232 I drive my SL for the adventure of the road. I do not want a computer on wheels. All the hype and promotion does not change this and I have never been one to purchase a vehicle just because it is the newest in the line up. Even with its flaws the R231 is my favorite car to drive and I am fortunate to have 12 vehicles currently in my garages....😊

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 07-25-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

We'll have to wait for August to see the car but I doubt that the car will look generic in any way; better than the current SL but just not as cool as the GTC roadster

While the GTC driving experience is fantastic IMO it is also not a good fit for the typical Mercedes and SL customer. Too stiff, too aggressive, too AMG. In fact most people will have trouble getting into and out of the car, partially due to the performance seats/A-pillar/door opening. I noticed that Mercedes is being careful only showing the new SL with the comfort seats in press pics while the car also comes with AMG performance seats.
While the car was designed by AMG, the target customer is clearly the typical Mercedes customer, so the new SL will be softer and more plush, have a more luxurious interior, tech and eye candy. Everything I can live with and enjoy. I have no issues with anything I have seen except a potentially lesser top down driving experience. There is a real risk for me with the larger opening and that stupid manual windscreen setup.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-26-2021 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
js_cls (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Quote by Wolfman.....
“I have no issues with anything I have seen except a potentially lesser top down driving experience.“

The reason I bought my first SL! 😊

Old 07-26-2021, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Quote by Wolfman.....
“I have no issues with anything I have seen except a potentially lesser top down driving experience.“

The reason I bought my first SL! 😊
Most of us have
We will keep our AMG GTC and if the new SL drives well, we'll consider getting one.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:28 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
I predict there will be lots of front end collisions with the new SL thanks to the mindless lack of discreet controls.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by skytop
I predict there will be lots of front end collisions with the new SL thanks to the mindless lack of discreet controls.
Well, all later model MB’s have collision avoidance systems, which should mitigate any increase in accidents. Don’t get me wrong though, I absolutely hate the idea that most controls are on the touch screen and many are hidden in obscure menus. At least, in their sporting cars, keeping life simple with knobs, buttons and switches would have been very attractive, at least to me. But fitting ALL of their vehicles with very similar screens will be a huge money saver, so I’m sure that’s what they will do.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well, all later model MB’s have collision avoidance systems, which should mitigate any increase in accidents. Don’t get me wrong though, I absolutely hate the idea that most controls are on the touch screen and many are hidden in obscure menus. At least, in their sporting cars, keeping life simple with knobs, buttons and switches would have been very attractive, at least to me. But fitting ALL of their vehicles with very similar screens will be a huge money saver, so I’m sure that’s what they will do.
Completely off-topic but when we drove an M8 in Germany, they had a cool feature I haven't seen here yet. Part of the Urban Cruise Control it recognizes red lights and stop signs. Based on settings, the car either alerts you on the instrument cluster/sound or fully stop the car.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:51 AM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
When are they going to actually really release this thing??
I mean....really....with options and specs and pictures and pricing and actual real photos without the stupid camo on it. Makes me think they have trouble other than just a chip issue....
It seems like it keeps getting pushed back and back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: My worst nightmare: the new SL