SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: SL63 Dead battery issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by drgek
According to lemonlawlawyerscalifornia.com, less than 1% of cars sold in California are lemons. What are you buying that you’ve had multiples of them?
I had a few 12 cylinder BMW’s bought back in the 1980’s & 1990’s. In 2020, MB bought back my S560 sedan due to a very hard 3-2 downshifting transmission, that they said they could not fix. I did not want them to buy that car back, as it was virtually irreplaceable, but they did. I replaced that car with a 2022 S580, which I more or less hated from day one. It had so many, irritating issues, but one day it just died and it took the dealer a solid 30 days to fix it, so it was a bonafide lemon and I pushed for a buyback and got it.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 SL63 AMG
We just got our 2023 SL 63 back after 2 trips and 2 additional days at MB of Palm Springs. We had a series of ‘critical error’ messages displayed. There was never an issue with starting the car. They ended up replacing the battery and advising us to always double click the key fob or keep it at least 20’ away from the car or both. We rejected the ‘keep it on a trickle charger all the time offer as ridiculous. We do keep a trickle charger on the car when we go away and always have. This is a great example of ‘Srupid Technology’. There is nothing here that anyone really needed. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:39 PM

Received 81 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
Based on my experience with my 2023 SL 55, all will be well if you double lock the key and store it at least 20 feel away plus put in on a trickle charger when you keep the car unlocked for hours (ie, PFF, detailing) or not driving for more than 10 days.

I don't find this regimen a significant hassle and absolutely love my SL
The following users liked this post:
drgek (01-28-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Hjplatt2
We just got our 2023 SL 63 back after 2 trips and 2 additional days at MB of Palm Springs. We had a series of ‘critical error’ messages displayed. There was never an issue with starting the car. They ended up replacing the battery and advising us to always double click the key fob or keep it at least 20’ away from the car or both. We rejected the ‘keep it on a trickle charger all the time offer as ridiculous. We do keep a trickle charger on the car when we go away and always have. This is a great example of ‘Srupid Technology’. There is nothing here that anyone really needed. Anxious to hear your thoughts.
You know, it’s interesting that with all the similar issues I had with my 2022 S580 (door handles, settings constantly disappearing, error messages, etc.) I was never told by anyone at Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach—the largest MB dealer in the USA—to double click, keep the key 20’ away from the car, or to use a trickle charger. It was never mentioned in the numerous calls to MBUSA either. For those of you with 2023 or 2024 cars, I would be interested to know if they have included these procedures in the Owners Manual for these more recently produced cars, or if the factory is still in denial that there are any problems with their products?
Old 01-28-2024, 05:08 PM

Received 81 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
Originally Posted by Streamliner
You know, it’s interesting that with all the similar issues I had with my 2022 S580 (door handles, settings constantly disappearing, error messages, etc.) I was never told by anyone at Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach—the largest MB dealer in the USA—to double click, keep the key 20’ away from the car, or to use a trickle charger. It was never mentioned in the numerous calls to MBUSA either. For those of you with 2023 or 2024 cars, I would be interested to know if they have included these procedures in the Owners Manual for these more recently produced cars, or if the factory is still in denial that there are any problems with their products?
Agree. Mercedes really should document this and people would be so much happier with the car. Only a very small segment of owners might visit this forum online.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:41 AM
wem

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
My SL has been at the dealership for about 2 weeks. Previously, MB gave me the trickle charger as others have also received as part of the battery issues. I have not been stranded by a dead battery. I do not lock the doors when parked inside the garage, and on occasion I have accidentally left the key FOB in the cupholder overnight. None of this has triggered a low battery warning on the dash or on the MB app. The low battery warnings pop up when I have the accessory switch on for an extended period of time without the engine running (not a big surprise). The low battery warning also pops up after I use the MB trickle charger. Even when the charge is full (all green lights), and I take the car out for a spin (usually at least 30 minutes of driving), the low battery message pops up. If I don't plug the trickle charger back on, the battery stays alive despite the dire warnings. I just started to ignore the warnings.

While ridiculous that it happens after using the trickle charger, and going for a long drive, the reason I brought it into the dealership 2 weeks ago was new behavior that started to appear. It seems as though the low battery warning started to shut down other systems in the car. My door handles would no longer greet me in the morning, the driver's seat would move about an inch and not fully move to the memory position, the finger print scanner started to behave strangely. And worst of all the pops and crackles disappeared.

During the past two weeks, the dealership took care of two open recalls (the wiring harness, and the rear spoiler). They found a stored fault for the finger print scanner and fixed it. There were some software updates that were installed. The updates apparently restored the pops and crackles and other features that weren't working. However,, the dealership was not satisfied that they got to the cause of the low battery warning. They kept the car for a few more days, put it on the trickle charger and found an error code. They documented everything and sent it to MBNA to ask to replace the battery or some other steps. Yesterday, I received a call from my service advisor. MBNA provided the dealership with some additional software updates for a number of systems which were supposed to address parasitic leaks. MBUSA instructed the dealer to put the car through several drive and sleep cycles over several days. I will probably find out on Tuesday if the car was "fixed".

As I mentioned, my battery has never died. The problems were aggravated with the trickle charger. I could live with most of the annoyances (door handles, seat movement, etc.), but when the pops and crackles disappeared that had to be fixed. In the meantime, I have an E450 Coupe loaner. I can't wait to get back into the SL.
The following 2 users liked this post by wem:
California John (02-03-2024), CharlestheCat (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 10:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
s63
This is great news. I’ve had similar issues with the door handles and automatic seat movement when the battery is low. I can live with that, but like you said, not without my precious engine sounds! Luckily I haven’t had that problem.

Would you post your service documents once you get the car back? It would be very helpful especially if they have figured out how to address the parasitic loss.
The following 3 users liked this post by CharlestheCat:
California John (02-03-2024), sl63owner (02-04-2024), wem (02-03-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bmw 650
[QUOTE=James Nevin;8717692]Car had been locked at the condo for over two weeks and found out that the Mercedes Me wouldn't connect because of low(dead)battery and that the Smart key wouldn't unlock the door or extend the door handle.
The manual was of course in the glove box--Had the mechanical key but didn't know where to put it. Thankfully because it was outside hours of the dealer I found the SL's digital manual thanx to Google (and Mercedes for having it there)
I was able to get access to the mechanical lock UNDER the drivers door handle (read your manual) but my small lithium booster battery was in the trunk which of course wouldn't open.--I now store it under the passenger seat with elastic cord.
I read in the manual that even when the car is locked there is battery drain as it searches for a signal from Mercedes Me or Smart key. Manual says you can deactivate the Smart key by pushing the lock button on the Smart key twice in rapid succession. That saves battery life on the key but does it do the same for the car battery??

Waiting to hear.--BTW there is no access to power for a trickle charger.at the condo .Key question is how to stop the battery drain in the car when shut and locked. Pleased to find out
Thnx
JP
On a side note the manual says to deactivate your Smart key from accidental use when going thro a car wash! Pays to read the manual.[

Two possible things come to mind. One disconnect your battery for extended down times. Not a great choice as car will have to reboot everything and may lose some things. Two. Put a high capacity deep cycle marine battery with small trickle charge type clips in an insulated box under the hood. Ontario winters will not be kind to an exposed battery. What do others think?
Old 02-05-2024, 10:41 PM
wem

Originally Posted by CharlestheCat
This is great news. I’ve had similar issues with the door handles and automatic seat movement when the battery is low. I can live with that, but like you said, not without my precious engine sounds! Luckily I haven’t had that problem.

Would you post your service documents once you get the car back? It would be very helpful especially if they have figured out how to address the parasitic loss.
I picked up my car today (Feb 5th) after bringing it in on Jan 23rd. It's too soon to determine if the various software updates fixed the battery issue. To be honest, I'm just glad that the pops and crackles are back. The service documents are attached as a pdf. The circled items on pages 4 and 5 were the additional software updates that were specifically authorized by MB for the battery draw, including the passenger's seat and the MBUX.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EPSON003.PDF (201.9 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by wem; 02-06-2024 at 06:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wem:
California John (02-06-2024), Martinkim (02-15-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
s63
Wem - You’re the man! Thanks for posting this!
Old 02-15-2024, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 SL63
Wem,

Mine is in the dealer shop again for 4th time & I had same battery low warning issues even after they changed battery and also done all 5 recall.

Mine symptoms; My SL63 always connected to battery trickle charger while it's in the garage, took out for good 30 to 40 minutes driving on highway, put back into garage , turn engine off and then battery low warning comes up on each of last 4 occasion.

Only difference that I've been doing to maintain battery with trickle charger was that I've been connecting negative terminal behind BMS sensor like this in this YouTube video which is recommended method by Mercedes (To Negative & Positive jump post in engine compartment and they are same with this connecting point behind BMS sensor) Video is here & although this is for Ford BMS system, I think it's reflecting general modern vehicles

And I must ask you, Did it finally fixed your battery issue? if so, was it 4 or 5 additional software updates?
Old 02-15-2024, 01:56 PM

2023 SL63 AMG
A fix?

Originally Posted by Martinkim
Wem,

Mine is in the dealer shop again for 4th time & I had same battery low warning issues even after they changed battery and also done all 5 recall.

Mine symptoms; My SL63 always connected to battery trickle charger while it's in the garage, took out for good 30 to 40 minutes driving on highway, put back into garage , turn engine off and then battery low warning comes up on each of last 4 occasion.

Only difference that I've been doing to maintain battery with trickle charger was that I've been connecting negative terminal behind BMS sensor like this in this YouTube video which is recommended method by Mercedes (To Negative & Positive jump post in engine compartment and they are same with this connecting point behind BMS sensor) Video is here & although this is for Ford BMS system, I think it's reflecting general modern vehicles
https://youtu.be/I_KmO-KaR4A

And I must ask you, Did it finally fixed your battery issue? if so, was it 4 or 5 additional software updates?
i am told there is a known fix now. None of these ridiculous steps should be necessary in ‘ordinary driving’. See below…

Great news. We had a meeting with one of the Mercedes-Benz factory engineers on Friday. He is very experienced (20+ years with MBZ). I discussed your specific case with him. He ran your VIN and there are 8 new updates/patches related to or designed to solve your issue(s). I should have enough details in the next few days to perform the updates? Can I pick the SL up maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday next week?
Old 02-15-2024, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 IWC Ingenieur CLS 55 AMG
Fix

I found for my 22 SL63 if I double click the lock button and keep key in signal blocking bag in kitchen where my keys are its fine. Can go week or so not driving no issues. If you have key around the car or even detail guy has it open 30 mins your going to have problem. Kind of stupid but is what it is I guess. I just had my 2022 SL63 ceramic coated. The guy said don’t worry will be on our expensive battery tender here. I got message critical low battery. Told the guy and he said don’t worry we are working on it. Well then got message battery discharged. So he likely only had tender on one of the batteries. After picked it up and started got message blind spot monitoring and collision braking not available. Long story short it’s at Mercedes guessing the Computer freaked when battery discharged. Annoying as hell. At least under warranty.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:09 PM

2023 SL63 AMG
NO ONE should have to deal with this …RIDICULOUS
Streamliner (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 02:18 PM

2022 SL63
Hjplatt2,

Thank you for that news & keep us updated please, mine is 2022 model with only 1300 mile and hoping that fix would work too
Hjplatt2 (02-24-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 02:54 PM
wem

Wem,

Since getting my car back from the dealership, I experienced one issue. The check engine light came on while I was out for a drive, and then the pops and crackles disappeared again. I was about a mile away from my dealership when it happened. I drove to the dealership and I set up an appointment to bring it back in next week. Later that day, I jumped back in the car and the check engine light was gone and the pops/crackles returned. I kept my service appointment because I think there is another recall notice sitting in my mailbox.
As far as the low battery warning, unless the accessories are running without the engine on, the times that I received the critical battery message were after I put the car on the trickle charger and took it out for a drive. I have not put the car on the trickle charger since I got it back from the dealership. I have not received any critical battery messages. The only messages I received in the past week were that my doors are unlocked (the car is unlocked in the garage at home). I do not double lock my car, and I have even left the keys in the cupholder overnight (accidentally) without any issues with the battery.

Old 02-15-2024, 05:45 PM

2022 SL63
Thank you Wem!
SL55 & SL63 appears behaving differently, when I saw critical battery warning I wasn't able to start at all and may be 4 or 5 of additional software updates may not for SL63 if you still getting critical battery warning after those updates-- something for me to ask dealer mechanic

I'm connecting my trickle charger negative cable after BMS sensor & I don't get low battery warning while battery is connected to trickle charger.

However, keep getting low battery warning after driving more than 30 minutes on mostly highway, even with fully charged brand new battery is real frustration for me to deal with, leading me to think car will stop somewhere when battery drops to critical level.

I guess I'll just have to find out what happens and hoping it does not happen in the middle of highway so I can contact NHTSA for mandatory recall

Last edited by Martinkim; 02-15-2024 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-15-2024, 06:03 PM

2022 SL63
Streamliner,

I'm wondering, have you report this to NHTSA? for safety sake of others
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 02-15-2024, 06:13 PM
wem

FYI, there is already a recall. I received a letter in the mail for the fuel pump recall.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:36 PM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Wem,

My experience with the engine compartment terminals makes me wonder about them. I purchased my ‘22 SL55 in Feb ‘23 in Chicago. After driving it home I wanted to attach it immediately to a battery tender, having experienced the very finicky nature of the Li ion battery in my 992 Carrera S. I hooked up a new CTEK charger to the engine compartment as described in the Owners’ Manual and roughly an hour later I got the critically low battery warning. I disconnected the charger and started the car; every single warning light came on. I shut it down and the next morning the car was fine.

The following day I went back to the dealer and they wired the charging posts from the MB branded trickle charger to the battery terminals. I haven’t had a problem with the electrical system since, and I only plug it in if I anticipate the car won’t be driven for a week, The only time I got a critical warning after that was when I left the car at a shop to have PPF and ceramic coating installed. No problems at all starting it then, just the phone app warning.

YMMV
Old 02-16-2024, 04:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 Audi RS6 Avant. 2022 AMG SL63
Wow, This has to be a problem that MB needs to take seriously. If not they will have 2023 sitting on lots for a long time or until they are giving them away at 60K off MSRP then we are left holding the bag, who would want this vehicle? I was thinking about trading it and was so shocked I didn't even respond to the offer I just walked out. I think I will be keeping this and hope they sort this all out.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fastcars1969
Wow, This has to be a problem that MB needs to take seriously. If not they will have 2023 sitting on lots for a long time or until they are giving them away at 60K off MSRP then we are left holding the bag, who would want this vehicle? I was thinking about trading it and was so shocked I didn't even respond to the offer I just walked out. I think I will be keeping this and hope they sort this all out.
The nice thing to know, is that NOBODY needs to get stuck "holding the bag." Most all states have what is commonly referred to as "Lemon Laws." Just keep taking the car back to the dealer. Rack up the number of days or repair attempts that your state says will qualify you to have your car labeled a lemon and then MBUSA will buy it back from the owner or lessee. In most cases, they will receive WAY, WAY more in the way of a refund, compared to what they could get selling the vehicle or trading it.
California John (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 Audi RS6 Avant. 2022 AMG SL63
Who wants to just going back and forth to the dealership, half the time the car comes back with more fingerprints and other crap I just don't want to deal with. Actually that's not the point, it's all the little bull**** stuff that's just annoying. I got a letter talking about the fuel pump recall but says no fix at this time. I know for a fact there is a fix it's just a fact that the dealers can't handle the amount of cars caught up in this recall. They are just taking people according to the Vin# and when the vehicle was purchased. I got that directly from someone in service, that's BS for a $200K vehicle actually for any new vehicle. My Last MB FOR SURE. Many others to choose at that price.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:19 PM

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
The latest Consumer Reports ratings: our beloved MB was second-------from the bottom!! MB consumer complaints must be quite common. The myriad sagas as reported on this forum are apparently not isolated.
MB in the past typified superior engineering and reliability. My first SL was a 560 was a gem.......and I still have it. What will it take for MB to return to form? I'd start by firing most of the design heads, engineering heads and certainly senior management. Ask the clients for input starting at the beginning of the design. Encourage engineers to concentrate on reliability and ease of service.......think 560SL.

At least MB beat out Chrysler
Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Mike P
The latest Consumer Reports ratings: our beloved MB was second-------from the bottom!! MB consumer complaints must be quite common. The myriad sagas as reported on this forum are apparently not isolated.
MB in the past typified superior engineering and reliability. My first SL was a 560 was a gem.......and I still have it. What will it take for MB to return to form? I'd start by firing most of the design heads, engineering heads and certainly senior management. Ask the clients for input starting at the beginning of the design. Encourage engineers to concentrate on reliability and ease of service.......think 560SL.

At least MB beat out Chrysler
IMO they are in a worse place now than they were during the Chrysler merger.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
Mike P (02-16-2024), Streamliner (02-17-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: SL63 Dead battery issue