SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Old Car, New Owner, Few Questions. Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320 Sport
Old Car, New Owner, Few Questions. Please Help

Hello,

I own a '03 E class, but just purchased a '76 450SL from a coworker. Real pretty car. It's not perfect though. I was hoping some of you with more experience could help me figure out a few things:

Headlights - One side is out, but when I hit the highbeams all 4 go on. It seems to be inconsistent. I'm suspicious of the highbeam switch (turnsignal, wiper etc.). Any ideas?

Turn signal switch - doesn't stay locked either. Is this fixable, or should I just replace it? If it's related to the headlight not working, maybe I'm best off replacing. Any clues on removing it?

Parts - I need a good place to get little parts like turn signal switch, taillight lenses and front bumper and floor mats and dash pad. Any good sources for best price (Internet hopefully)?

Steering - is loose. Is there something that wears that I can replace?

Tires - Has Yoko Aegis 205/70r 14. Anybody ever put a meatier tire on the stock rims? I'm wondering about a 60, like a 225 or 235. Will this look too beefy - or even fit? I just want a sportier look.

Any help with these items greatly appreciated. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and live in Southern California.

Rob
Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 PM

For parts try www.performanceproducts.com They have web site but I suggest you also request their print catalog for your car as it is very helpful in identifying parts. They seem to be one of the better and more complete sources for old Mercedes parts that I have come across.

Loose steering is often a worn steering gear box . I believe some adjustment may be possible but it may need to be replaced.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 PM

'03 E320 Sport
Thanks MB88SL,

I've got the feeling I'm going to get pretty knowledgeable on this car in the coming months . I appreciate the tip on parts (and steering). I think those guys and I are going to become friends too .

Rob
Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM

C32AMG
Parts

Try Bud's Benz at www.budsbenz.com. You should join the Mercedes Benz Club of America. Many ads in the STAR magazine for parts.